Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 01:15 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefoxtrotter View Post
Hi all, I saw many relocating posts but none for single young professional so hopefully you can help me out.

I am moving from the suburbs of Detroit (believe it or not are really nice) so I really have no downtown city living experiences. I will be working in Westchase (Sam Houston Parkway & Westpark tollway) and prefer not to get stuck in traffic everyday.

I have friends from the same company who are living in the Galleria area and said it is okay. I like to party on the weekends but relax during the weekdays. Big into sports. I am thinking about renting a townhome/condo or a nice apartment.

Thanks for all the help!
Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 01:25 PM

14 posts, read 37,756 times
We're also from the Detroit area, relocating to south Texas, College Station to be exact. We had thought about Houston early on in the planning stages but the wife and I did not want to deal with the downtown city traffic. Houston pays a bit more in my profession but I think you're quality of life suffers with the commute in and out of the city every day. Detroit's rush hour is tame compared to Houston's! Good luck.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:33 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
There is not much traffic downtown. Highways and streets like Louisiana, yes, but downtown traffic in general is tame compared to other downtown cities.

My quality of life doesn't suffer. I have no commute. It is so much easier if you live where you work.
A little research would show that there are very affordable areas, really close to downtown, that would make life so much easier for a lot of people.

But we do have horrendous rush hour traffic on the highways.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:36 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
Houston's traffic should go smoothly on its huge interstates!

Old 07-07-2010, 01:39 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
You might try Midtown on the edge of Downtown. Great place for young, college-educated engineers .... I work downtown and most of the people with your background tend to live there or in the Heights.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:43 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
or in the Heights.
The heights is cool. There is a bike path that you can ride from the heights to downtown.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:08 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
its gotten that bad in 5 years??

I lived on Richmond near Gessner 5 years ago and it was pretty sweet
Yes, unfortunately. It still looks Ok - which is why I said it was deceptive. Crime is high in the apartments. That's the problem - too many apartments all together. The bad property managers accept felons, etc. The good property managers can't keep the area nice because of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston