Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 08:08 AM

3 posts, read 6,059 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I saw many relocating posts but none for single young professional so hopefully you can help me out.

I am moving from the suburbs of Detroit (believe it or not are really nice) so I really have no downtown city living experiences. I will be working in Westchase (Sam Houston Parkway & Westpark tollway) and prefer not to get stuck in traffic everyday.

I have friends from the same company who are living in the Galleria area and said it is okay. I like to party on the weekends but relax during the weekdays. Big into sports. I am thinking about renting a townhome/condo or a nice apartment.

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited by thefoxtrotter; 07-07-2010 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 08:47 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
Stay out of the apartments at Westchase. They look OK, but it is deceiving.
Galleria is a good choice. More nightlife there than further west near work. Most live west of work - so you will be going against traffic, a little.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:03 AM

Thanks! Have you heard anything about the 3525 sage condos? They look really beautiful but I read online that they are quickly becoming "ghetto." Thanks again.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:10 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefoxtrotter View Post
Hi all, I saw many relocating posts but none for single young professional so hopefully you can help me out.

I am moving from the suburbs of Detroit (believe it or not are really nice) so I really have no downtown city living experiences. I will be working in Westchase (Sam Houston Parkway & Westpark tollway) and prefer not to get stuck in traffic everyday.

I have friends from the same company who are living in the Galleria area and said it is okay. I like to party on the weekends but relax during the weekdays. Big into sports. I am thinking about renting a townhome/condo or a nice apartment.

Thanks for all the help!
First of all I love Detroit.

I lived in Westchase about 5 years ago.

it is a really dense area. you can live and work in the same neighborhood.

You won't have problems finding housing at all. You could probably have a less than five minute commute to work.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:11 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Stay out of the apartments at Westchase. They look OK, but it is deceiving.
Galleria is a good choice. More nightlife there than further west near work. Most live west of work - so you will be going against traffic, a little.
its gotten that bad in 5 years??

I lived on Richmond near Gessner 5 years ago and it was pretty sweet

Old 07-07-2010, 09:17 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times
CityCentre has great apartments and lofts, nightlife,Lifetime Fitness, tons of biking trails, and all daily shopping/eating needs. It's one and two exits south of Westchase. you might want to consider that if you don't want to hang in the Galleria and commute out. I'd say the average age of the renters there are right around 30.
http://www.citycentrehouston.com/index.php

It's going to be a little sleepier there than Uptown/Galleria during the week. And I don't see it "going ghetto" anytime soon.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:28 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times
3535 Sage was nice in the late 80's/early nineties not sure what it is all about now. Back then it was a mix of young professionals and low-class women (looking for a sugar-daddy) who danced in the trendy (back then) upscale topless bars.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:06 AM

258 posts, read 954,635 times
What is a young professional? I'd like to know if I qualify

Old 07-07-2010, 11:53 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,494,577 times
I would highly recommend Galleria (77056/77057), stay close to 59 and Westpark Tollway for shortest commute. There is virtually 0 traffic if you're heading westward on WPtolway in the morning (not so in the other direction). Alternatively, you can live just north of Westheimer and take that street to Bltwy. There are nice condos on Augusta and Berring x Westheimer. I wouldn't stay west of Fountainview though..dodgy area, imo. 3525 Sage i think has been turned to apts or maybe more leasers than owners. Hence not so good. I do have a friend who lives next door in the Mark 3505 Sage and that is still pretty nice from what I hear. In general,if the rent price is low in that area, you are not going to get quality neighbors and high safety. I also have a friend who rents apt near there, i think McCue south of Richmond (?) and is very happy with that, lots of professionals.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:10 PM

Thanks everyone!

@EasilyAmused CityCentre looks a little too expensive for me. I am in the $600-850/mo range, not the $1500.

@HTownLove much respect, not many people say that about detroit.

@phaze I consider my self a young professional because I am a college graduate and work as a professional engineer, but

@houstonfan thanks, I think I will continue looking around the Galleria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston