Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 10:17 AM

36 posts, read 123,973 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

It goes without saying that Houston is a "transplant" city. After living here a little over 10 years, I would venture to say that the majority of residents I meet are from other locales (newsflash!). My question is,
what percentange of residents would you guesstimate are non-natives?

This, of course, would include the many residents from other countries...as well as domestic migration. I'm not sure exactly how
this can be accurately quantified, just curious to know your thoughts.

At the risk of lowering credibility points, I would think this number may hover around 50%?? Are there any resources to discover any hard data?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 10:20 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,760,188 times
I would say about 50 percent sounds right. (a lot more if you go back a generation)

Old 07-09-2010, 10:21 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,368,358 times
maybe there's a study out there based on the total population. But personal experience is based on where you live and work.

Where I've lived most of my life, 80% are native. When I lived in the Woodlands, 90% were from somewhere else.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:36 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,107,745 times
Probably a lot higher. A high majority over 25 are transplants. You will find the highest percentage of native Houstonians among the children. I have no absolutely no facts to back this up, just personal observation.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:41 AM

36 posts, read 123,973 times
Yes, I agree that it matters tremendously where you live. I live and work (and play) on the Westside which I'm sure skews the view a little.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:01 PM

922 posts, read 3,849,481 times
I'm a bit of a geek about this kind of stuff, so I dove into some census data and came up with some very rough numbers:

Looking back 50 years:

In 1960 the Houston metro area's population was about 1.2 million people
The 2009 population estimate is 5.8 million people
Therefore, the net gain over 50 years is 4.6 million.

Using a rule of thumb that about half of the increase is "natural" (births minus deaths) and the other half is net migration would mean that there are about 2.3 million people living in in the Houston area who have moved here from somewhere else at some point in the last 50 years, which is about 40%.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:35 AM

12,732 posts, read 21,622,051 times
I can tell that Houston is a transplant city. Look at the growth!

Old 07-10-2010, 06:50 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,338,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
I'm a bit of a geek about this kind of stuff, so I dove into some census data and came up with some very rough numbers:

Looking back 50 years:

In 1960 the Houston metro area's population was about 1.2 million people
The 2009 population estimate is 5.8 million people
Therefore, the net gain over 50 years is 4.6 million.

Using a rule of thumb that about half of the increase is "natural" (births minus deaths) and the other half is net migration would mean that there are about 2.3 million people living in in the Houston area who have moved here from somewhere else at some point in the last 50 years, which is about 40%.
It's amazing ! I think that : Houston metro will surpass the 10 million mark !

Old 07-10-2010, 06:56 AM

10,138 posts, read 15,928,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
It's amazing ! I think that : Houston metro will surpass the 10 million mark !
I don't doubt it.

I will find the article later that I read about how the Port of Houston's activity is about to increase another 25% in the next 20 years.
It's already the 2nd largest port in the country by total tonnage, and it's closing in on the gap to get to first.

Dallas is the largest landlocked metropolitan area in the country, it's a great place and it's growing so fast, but I've noticed that all the largest metropolitan areas in the world are on the coastline of some kind. Even Chicago gets by with it's port system (3rd largest in land port in the world) on Lake Michigan.

In summary- I think there will be a point where Houston will start growing faster than Dallas and eventually close in on the population there. At some point, that's going to happen.

It's inevitable to stop this city as long as it improves it's economy by diversifying and remains an active port location (trade with Caribbean & Central America & South America & Mexico). But if it doesn't improve it's economy before a major economic energy bust- then it will slow down by quite a lot.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:09 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,338,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I don't doubt it.

I will find the article later that I read about how the Port of Houston's activity is about to increase another 25% in the next 20 years.
It's already the 2nd largest port in the country by total tonnage, and it's closing in on the gap to get to first.

Dallas is the largest landlocked metropolitan area in the country, it's a great place and it's growing so fast, but I've noticed that all the largest metropolitan areas in the world are on the coastline of some kind. Even Chicago gets by with it's port system (3rd largest in land port in the world) on Lake Michigan.

In summary- I think there will be a point where Houston will start growing faster than Dallas and eventually close in on the population there. At some point, that's going to happen.

It's inevitable to stop this city as long as it improves it's economy by diversifying and remains an active port location (trade with Caribbean & Central America & South America & Mexico). But if it doesn't improve it's economy before a major economic energy bust- then it will slow down by quite a lot.
25% ? This port is already enormous ! It's enough to surpass the LA port ?
With that + a real growth of the Texas Medical Center ( "the Silicon Valley of medicine" ), a huge growth of the green energy..etc..I think this city will be really diversified, the oil/gas sector share is lower each year in the Houston's economy.
The growth of the port = really good news for the city because in 2014 the Panama channel/canal (sorry I'm not sure of the translation) will be larger, and Obama wants to double exports in 5 years..And Texas is the first exporter state in the US !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston