Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2010, 03:50 PM

401 posts, read 1,733,102 times

Advertisements

I do not have 240 V coming to house. Center point says it is under ground service drop to the house.

What can I do? Please help I have a pregnant wife!!!

Any electricians??

Old 07-11-2010, 06:47 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,557,119 times
If you want to get power back on the house as soon as possible, you need to ask CenterPoint to install a temporary drop from the transformer to the house. They are the only ones that can do that. Once that is going on, you will need to find an electrician that can install a new underground for you ( if that's what the actual problem is ). Once the new underground is in place, CenterPoint will have to come back out and disconnect the temporary drop, and hook up the new underground at the pedestal. It's a drag.

How old is your home?

Old 07-11-2010, 06:49 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
not one that is will be expensive
because you will have to pay for the electrician--anything from the street/sidewal to your house is your cost I believe

Old 07-11-2010, 08:03 PM

460 posts, read 2,427,242 times
BE VERY CAREFUL WHAT YOU ORDER FROM CENTERPOINT

Depending on who you talk to in the customer service department, they may not explain your options clearly. I personally know of people who ended up with unexpected bills because they ordered the wrong thing. When this happened to me, I fortunately had a helpful service rep and was able to get my problem fixed for minimal cost.

Your choices from CP are a temporary disconnect (free) OR a temporary bypass ($$$$$).

With a temporary disconnect, you DO LOOSE POWER until the underground cable can be replaced. But if you time it right, CP can do the disconnect in the morning, the underground wiring people can replace the wire during the day (takes about 30 min), and then CP can re-connect you in the afternoon. CP will work with you on this as it happens all the time.

If you get the temporary bypass, CP WILL BILL YOU A FLAT RATE OF MEGA DOLLARS FOR THE POWER, since your meter is out of the loop and they don't know how much you're really using. The advantage is that you can take your time getting the cable fixed.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:15 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,557,119 times
^ partially true. The typical cost for a temp by-pass is 150 bucks. Nothing is free. If it's important to have power it's going to cost some money, hence the question regarding the age of the home. Undergrounds are warranted for two years usually. They are made of aluminum and any little knick in the sheathing can lead to rapid corrosion. If they are inclined to fail due to corrosion, it usually happens not long after they are installed.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:52 AM

460 posts, read 2,427,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCH99 View Post
... The typical cost for a temp by-pass is 150 bucks....
Believe what you want, but I was quoted $250 earlier this year. Fortunately it was Feb when my line failed so I wasn't about to pay CP summer rates for mild weather conditions. Paying that much this month wouldn't be so bad, if that's what they're still offering

Old 07-12-2010, 06:30 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azamsharp View Post
I do not have 240 V coming to house. Center point says it is under ground service drop to the house.

What can I do? Please help I have a pregnant wife!!!

Any electricians??
Ok I read your post and read the answers. What am I missing? Did you read what you wrote before you hit the post button? What the hell does this mean? No one has 240 coming into a residential house.

"Center point says it is under ground service drop to the house" Can you translate that? Maybe I can guide you if I knew what you are saying or asking. What does the pregnant wife have to do with this? Do you mean you have NO power to your house? No I don't buy that either. You have half a dozen answers so far and there is not even a clear question. Provide some useful information and I'm sure we can help.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:10 AM

401 posts, read 1,733,102 times
UPDATE:

PLEase close this thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: