U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2010, 12:25 PM

67 posts, read 288,964 times

Advertisements

Anyone have recommendations of business (or person) that stains fences in houston. Ours is fairly new (less than year old) and is already starting to gray.

Or, recommendations of a easy do-it-yourself product to use?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 12:40 PM

1,474 posts, read 4,749,420 times
I just did my 3.5yo fence. I got the java brown stain(not paint) from Lowes and it dried up quite nicely - it still looks like wood. application is real easy, you'll need a 3" roller brush to maximize the stain & a small brush for touch ups. i did pressure wash the fence first, maybe that will make the stain last longer, I dont know really, but it showed 'more wood' after staining

Old 07-12-2010, 01:39 PM

847 posts, read 1,645,882 times
i would also like info on this...we have a newly built house (going on 2 mths) and i don't want my fence to look like the neighbors that have been there a while....i'm willing to do it myself if it's just like painting.... "paint the fence"

Old 07-12-2010, 02:04 PM

809 posts, read 3,413,918 times
It's similar to painting a wall, except the fence soaks up a lot more stain than a wall does paint. We used about double what we thought we would.

Also, if the fence is already turning gray, you can power wash it to look almost new again. Then stain it. We didn't have to do this as we stained ours right away.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:28 AM

4,033 posts, read 10,159,445 times
We stained our own fence at our house in Katy. We too, got fence/deck stain from Lowes and put it on with a roller. We used an mossy/avocado green color, because we had lots of tall plants along the fence, and it just kind of blended in. It made the fence almost invisible.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:00 PM

1,408 posts, read 3,844,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
We stained our own fence at our house in Katy. We too, got fence/deck stain from Lowes and put it on with a roller. We used an mossy/avocado green color, because we had lots of tall plants along the fence, and it just kind of blended in. It made the fence almost invisible.
Interesting color, got any pics?

Old 07-23-2010, 05:52 PM

4,033 posts, read 10,159,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Love View Post
Interesting color, got any pics?
No pictures. We moved just a few months later. I actually did have some good pics, but my hard drive crashed and I lost almost all my pictures. I had a few backed up, but none of the fence. It looked really good. I thought DH had lost his mind when he told me what color he wanted to use, but it was really nice when it was finished.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:08 PM

938 posts, read 1,764,933 times
I just did one at a rent house. If you want to protect the fence for the longest time, you would go with a stain, to absorb (block) the ultraviolet from the sun. These outdoor stains are water cleanup and are really kind of like latex, in look and feel but are thinner than latex. I think the best deals are Behr at Home Depot and Olympic at Lowe's, in 5 gallon cans. This market has changed in the past 5~6 years. There used to be a whole bunch of products that were oil-based, that could be tinted, and now there are only a couple, and they are preservatives only, no tinting. These preservatives will give you about 3 years protection, the stains will give you maybe 6~8 years when used with the darkest tint. Now so far as you doing the job, if you want to go with preservative, I seriously recommend pressure-washing the fence first, which is a good idea too using the stains. Then I recommend using an airless sprayer to apply. You can cover one side of a 60 foot fence in about 15 minutes, whereas to roll it could take a couple of hours, maybe less depending upon your technique. You can rent an airless at Lowe's or Home Depot. Be sure to let the fence dry for a couple of days before applying.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:47 PM

67 posts, read 288,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovamos View Post
I just did one at a rent house. If you want to protect the fence for the longest time, you would go with a stain, to absorb (block) the ultraviolet from the sun. These outdoor stains are water cleanup and are really kind of like latex, in look and feel but are thinner than latex. I think the best deals are Behr at Home Depot and Olympic at Lowe's, in 5 gallon cans. This market has changed in the past 5~6 years. There used to be a whole bunch of products that were oil-based, that could be tinted, and now there are only a couple, and they are preservatives only, no tinting. These preservatives will give you about 3 years protection, the stains will give you maybe 6~8 years when used with the darkest tint. Now so far as you doing the job, if you want to go with preservative, I seriously recommend pressure-washing the fence first, which is a good idea too using the stains. Then I recommend using an airless sprayer to apply. You can cover one side of a 60 foot fence in about 15 minutes, whereas to roll it could take a couple of hours, maybe less depending upon your technique. You can rent an airless at Lowe's or Home Depot. Be sure to let the fence dry for a couple of days before applying.
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>