Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 09:14 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,121,140 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the feedback.

I do realize that while the commission is technically paid by the seller, it does impact the buyer's final purchase price. At the same time, the commission gets paid no matter what so it just doesn't make any sense whatsoever to me to NOT have a buyer's agent. Sure...you can probably save 1 or 2% by using the seller's agent but then how do you ensure that YOUR interests as the buyer are being properly met and that you're not actually paying more than you would have with an agent negotiating for you?

Yes...it is going to be fun (not).

Again...thank you for confirming some points for me that I can take back to my dad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 09:30 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,121,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Except a lot of for sale by owners are over-priced. One of the reasons that a large number do not use a listing agent is they can't find one that will list an an inflated price that will not sell. They believe their house to be worth $X, even if market conditions dictate otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonfan View Post
Agreed, most are avg or inflated prices. Even if the do-it-yourself sellers have a realistic asking price, they are going through all the trouble of listing it themselves b/c THEY want to bank the savings of the commission, not pass it on to the buyer.
I've seen a few FSBO houses in both Quail Valley & Sienna. Two properties come to mind; the owner in QV was just plain wacky to deal with. Both properties sat on the market for months and did not sell until realtors became involved. I think in many cases, sellers need an objective party (seller's agent) because of high emotions relating back to how a seller sees his/her house.

Sellers also don't necessarily have the right SOP for showings. We went to a FSBO open house in San Diego once and the whole family was there watching Sunday afternoon football, snacking & going about their day while we were supposed to walk around the house. Talk about not being able to picture ourselves in there! I can usually "see" potential beyond personal effects but that was just too much.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:04 AM

460 posts, read 2,426,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
...he's impossible to deal with in these types of matters and has been as long as I can remember...
If he's impossible to deal with, then don't deal with him. He clearly doesn't trust YOU either, since he's not listening. Let him deal with the seller's agent, and let the seller's agent get the full commission. Or let him hire a buyer's attorney like he remembers from the good old days. Maybe he'll listen to them. Maybe not. Regardless, they get paid for taking the grief. You don't.

What's the worst that can happen? He pays a bit more for the house? He misses out on the perfect deal? It's only money. Not worth the grief you're going through.

My parents are 88/89 and some topics are difficult to discuss with them as well. Not real estate, but living arrangements as they have finally gotten to the point where they can't live all alone only by themselves (my sister and I have given them three choices: full-time live-in help, assisted living, or come live with one of us). But they're unwilling to change, SO I've told my sister that we'll just let them have an operational upset or siginificant difficulty and then maybe they'll start to listen. Too bad old people get this way, but they do. Wife and I are trying to figure out how to avoid this problem in our old age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston