Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2010, 08:20 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,322,792 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about joining this or Life Time Fitness.

How much is the average membership at MAC? Anyone? Any current gym goes have any advice on if MAC would be a good choice?

I can't decide if they are worth the extra cost over a 24 hour or LA Fitness.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 04:28 PM

3,160 posts, read 4,364,800 times
Im not familure with Memorial CITY athletic club.
do you mean "Memorial Athletic Club" as in www.fitmac.com ?
Ive been a member at MAC and Im a fan of MAC, now Im elsewhere, Im a fan of MAC but changed for my reasons.
Tell me what you're looking for in a club and I'll give you an opinion.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:17 PM

yup. That's exactly what I meant. Whoops!

I think I want to somewhere where people are going to leave me alone. I left a gym in another city that I loved. It was a chain, but not one of the big chains. The gym was big, but crappy looking. It had low drop ceilings, popcorn plaster on the walls, ect. I'm not looking for those things, but I liked that it wasn't cold and impersonal with 3 story glass ceilings. It felt like a neighborhood gym. It was in a big city, but felt like a neighborhood gym. I don't know how to explain it. I've been to a couple of gyms, and nothing has quite had that feeling.

I felt like everyone was there to work out. No one went there to be seen, to meet dates, to be cool, cuz it was hip... people went there to work out.

I don't need tons of fancy equipment, but I also don't want to wait. I'd also like to swim.

I know that's not very specific. I don't know how to explain it. I think I'm just going to pop in and check it out.

Thanks~!

Old 07-16-2010, 07:39 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,484,606 times
MAC is 88 a month for a family v. 250 a month at Lifetime. I forget what the joining fee is. I love Lifetime. It's shiney,swank and offers more class variety. It's definately a singles place though.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:44 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,364,800 times
if you want to work out, MAC is a much better place to go. there are a large number of area tri-geeks that call MAC home.
they have 5am spin class also. ;-)
they have two lap pools, problem there, odds are you'll be sharing a lane during popular times.

EasilyDistracted, she asked about LAfitness, not lifetime. ;-)
lifetime is a joke.
but they do have nice waterslides...

I belonged to LA F when I worked next door to it, pool is a joke. MAC was more to offer for a few bucks more.

I currently belong to Westside Tennis, huge workout area that is almost empty anytime of the day/night. They have a lap pool, and an adult pool you can do laps in also. Ive never had to share a lane there :-) plus they have tons of family stuff also. I dont even play tennis and consider them well worth the cost.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:47 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,484,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
EasilyDistracted, she asked about LAfitness, not lifetime. ;-)
lifetime is a joke.
but they do have nice waterslides...

LOL. that is so true.
I do my laps at home, the MAC pool's chemicals are to strong for me, not to mention crowded. Noon spin classes are packed as well.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:41 AM

Okay Bily LoveC.
Tennis is the only sport I've ever liked to play. I had some friends in San Antonio before I moved here, and we played up to 3 times a week, for hours at a time. I miss it so much! I had no idea that tennis club existed. I think you just gave me the best tip ever! The prices aren't even that bad!! That place looks amazing! I think I am sold!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: