Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 06:47 AM

12 posts, read 20,730 times

Advertisements

I am so overwhelmed by where to live would love advice. My husband will work at Dairy Ashford and I believe its called the toll way? Whatever is just south of 10. We will be moving very quickly cause I have a daughter that starts kindergarten in the fall. If you are familiar with Dallas, I live in Colleyville now. Schools are the number one factor, then will go from there. Definitely a safe area too. Would love to have a less than 30 min commute for husband... Any advice?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 07:16 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
www.har.com look in Katy

Old 07-15-2010, 08:27 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
We need a house budget - it fluctuates greatly.

I am thinking Sugar Land, but the commute from Cinco is also very good to there. Both would be what you are looking for - different people like either - it's a personal preference.

His work location is right at Alief - that's a no for home location and schools.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:58 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,054,557 times
If schools are very important and you can afford it, I'd try out 77079. Possibly in Wilchestor, Nottingham Forest, and others. If possible, then you could take it up a step into 77024.

Either way, I'd try to rent first just to get a feel for the area. You can also try Cinco Ranch and get more bang for your buck.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:27 AM

1,474 posts, read 4,997,680 times
who's in dairy ashford and westpark(?) tollway? maybe youre refering to sam houston and westpark, that Jacobs firm?
I live in Alief and yes, its not good for schools. and after seeing kids with totally rotten teeth we are considering montesorri schools for our toddler

Old 07-15-2010, 11:51 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,175,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArmy View Post
who's in dairy ashford and westpark(?) tollway? maybe youre refering to sam houston and westpark, that Jacobs firm?
I live in Alief and yes, its not good for schools. and after seeing kids with totally rotten teeth we are considering montesorri schools for our toddler
I used to live in Ashford South, Dairy Ashford between Westheimer and Briar Forest. Nice, safe neighborhood and fair to middlin' schools.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie

Old 07-15-2010, 12:44 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txblondie99 View Post
I am so overwhelmed by where to live would love advice. My husband will work at Dairy Ashford and I believe its called the toll way? Whatever is just south of 10. We will be moving very quickly cause I have a daughter that starts kindergarten in the fall. If you are familiar with Dallas, I live in Colleyville now. Schools are the number one factor, then will go from there. Definitely a safe area too. Would love to have a less than 30 min commute for husband... Any advice?

Thanks!
The Best schools are in the Energy Corridor. The catch is the price. Around 350k and up you can buy within 1/2mile-2 miles of the office in 77079.
800k and up you can buy 2-7 miles away in 77024.

These are not master planned communities, but upscale city neighborhoods loaded with kids that have stood the test of time, appreciated, and are a desired location neighborhoods.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:14 AM

Thanks guys... I am going to look in 77079 or Katy... Katy is more my cup of tea... but are the schools good? I just don't know how I would feel about living in a home from the 60's, but if you say schools are that awesome... Cinco Ranch looks amazing for a young child. We are thinking about renting a house first. I have only been to Houston once so hate to buy just in case I feel it wasn't our right fit after all.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArmy View Post
This totally made me laugh... but I would never know that! Thats the scary part.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:53 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txblondie99 View Post
Thanks guys... I am going to look in 77079 or Katy... Katy is more my cup of tea... but are the schools good? I just don't know how I would feel about living in a home from the 60's, but if you say schools are that awesome... Cinco Ranch looks amazing for a young child. We are thinking about renting a house first. I have only been to Houston once so hate to buy just in case I feel it wasn't our right fit after all.
Renting the first year might be a good plan. In 77079, $350K will not get you what you will get in Cinco, which is why so many people live in Cinco and commute to the Energy Corridor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston