Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 04:17 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCH99 View Post
Whoa. No kidding? What's the current entry price for Heritage Park? A million dollars,....or more?
Of course not. A 75% increase over 10 years may not compare to inner loop areas, but it's a decent rise for suburban Houston. Considering that no one seems to have any firm data that Walmarts cause property values to decrease, that argument seems like a bunch of BS.

I'm still wondering why there wasn't a problem with Walmart's Chinese-chic, Minneapolis-based, chain-store, mega-parking-lot, mom-and-pop-killing, equally low-wage competitor with the oh-so-hip commercials building in the Heights. Not in Victory Lakes either...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 04:41 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,557,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
Of course not. A 75% increase over 10 years may not compare to inner loop areas, but it's a decent rise for suburban Houston. Considering that no one seems to have any firm data that Walmarts cause property values to decrease, that argument seems like a bunch of BS.

I'm still wondering why there wasn't a problem with Walmart's Chinese-chic, Minneapolis-based, chain-store, mega-parking-lot, mom-and-pop-killing, equally low-wage competitor with the oh-so-hip commercials building in the Heights. Not in Victory Lakes either...
The folks in Victory Lakes banded together in unison and squealed like stuck pigs to try and block that Walmart.......... It's there.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,111 times
no comment on whether walmart should or shouldn't be on yale, just questions. If you are opposing walmart, did you oppose target? do you really think that yale and koehler is a neighborhood? this is where trinity steel was for years and the houses surrounding were originally workers houses. those houses are mostly gone replaced by an ugly blight of luxury apartment blocks that are ghettos of the future and overbuilt lots with those overpriced and incomprehensible 3 story townhomes. that's not a neighborhood. won't traffic patterns change when the feeders connect yale with the freeway?

Old 08-18-2010, 07:24 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
I think Target is a higher quality retailer than Walmart. The stores are usually cleaner and I think they have better products, and they are very customer service oriented. I grew up with Target.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:03 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
Hmm... Just last week, wife complained that Target had good store-brand (Up&Up) items for the money, but they're gradually degrading to Great Value quality over time. She also says groceries there are a complete rip-off. I don't do much shopping at all, but for a dirty construction site I still think they have better $15 button-up shirts than Wal-Mart.

I always saw Target as somewhat of a trendy type of department store for the (white) $30k earner who moved up the ranks. It's true Target is never a jam-packed zoo, the workers won't give you a deer-in-the-headlights look when you ask for help, you'll never find a pile of **** in a fitting room, and they have a fairly wide selection of house-brand coffees, organic dried fruits and wasabi peas to boot. Whatever the case, it definitely gets you away from the 'minimum wage' WM atmosphere.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:21 AM

Stop Heights Walmart!

Looks like the city is going to pony up $6 million in tax rebates/incentives for Walmart to build there.

I'm sure the city can't find anywhere to spend 6 million in an area of the city that the constituents would be happy.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:00 AM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I think Target is a higher quality retailer than Walmart. The stores are usually cleaner and I think they have better products, and they are very customer service oriented. I grew up with Target.
Yeah. Those Chinese factories making the Target merchandise have so much more quality than those Chinese (and American!) factories making the Walmart stuff. The ability to convince sheep with a hip ad campaign never ceases to amaze me.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:06 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,657,159 times
You know what's funny? A lot of people with those "Stop Heights Wal Mart" signs in their front yards aren't even in the Heights.

You know what else is funny? Once this Wal Mart is finished, all of the people who protested it will probably be shopping there.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:25 AM

The Walmart technically wont be in the Heights either. But its much catchier than 'stop 1st & 6th Ward Walmart'.

I doubt those who protest it will shop there.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:54 PM

404 posts, read 1,031,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Stop Heights Walmart!

Looks like the city is going to pony up $6 million in tax rebates/incentives for Walmart to build there.

I'm sure the city can't find anywhere to spend 6 million in an area of the city that the constituents would be happy.
$6 million + a hit to local businesses. Awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston