Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 06:18 PM

153 posts, read 325,812 times

Advertisements

An A of course, but I sense sarcasm in your post. Also might add that there is more to it. Wal-Mart also tend to be sexist when promoting women to higher end jobs. They also ship American jobs to countries such as China to save on money, but everyone knows that. However, that is irrelevant to them opening up. I'm just here to give my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 06:29 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyz View Post
An A of course, but I sense sarcasm in your post. Also might add that there is more to it. Wal-Mart also tend to be sexist when promoting women to higher end jobs. They also ship American jobs to countries such as China to save on money, but everyone knows that. However, that is irrelevant to them opening up. I'm just here to give my opinion.
If anyone could be bothered to read labels - which I did when trying to find lead- and cadmium-free (i.e. non-Chinese) dinnerware - you would know that this is a complete myth. ALL of Target's chic little designs are imported from China. Half of Walmarts were Corelle - manufactured in the U.S.

Read the box and learn something. Or live with Alzhemiers/dementia, which is most likely good old-fashioned heavy-metal poisoning, when you get old.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:29 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,557,119 times
It was somewhat sarcastic, in that there is much more to debate about the pros and cons of Wal-Mart than whether or not the construction of their stores would displace wildlife in certain instances. Thanks for clarifying.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
If anyone could be bothered to read labels - which I did when trying to find lead- and cadmium-free (i.e. non-Chinese) dinnerware - you would know that this is a complete myth. ALL of Target's chic little designs are imported from China. Half of Walmarts were Corelle - manufactured in the U.S.

Read the box and learn something. Or live with Alzhemiers/dementia, which is most likely good old-fashioned heavy-metal poisoning, when you get old.

I don't know about that. The project was at least 5 years old when I first enter college. The information is not a myth at all. A lot of their draperies and such are made in other countries. I wish I had the files which included the links to where I got the information from. They were all credited resources hence the professor check the information. But hey you wouldn't believe me since I don't have the information left. I will try to look for it though. They might reduced their jobs from other countries over the 5 years, but the information is not a myth.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:45 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyz View Post
I don't know about that. The project was at least 5 years old when I first enter college. The information is not a myth at all. A lot of their draperies and such are made in other countries. I wish I had the files which included the links to where I got the information from. They were all credited resources hence the professor check the information. But hey you wouldn't believe me since I don't have the information left. I will try to look for it though. They might reduced their jobs from other countries over the 5 years, but the information is not a myth.
That wasn't my point. The Heights has a Chinese-chic Target. But people don't want a Walmart. The myth is that everything at Walmart is from China, when, in fact, they have more products manufactured here than any other discount chain. Even cookware. I couldn't find anything at Target or Macy's manufactured in the US. Walmart's cast iron cookware is made in the USA.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
That wasn't my point. The Heights has a Chinese-chic Target. But people don't want a Walmart. The myth is that everything at Walmart is from China, when, in fact, they have more products manufactured here than any other discount chain. Even cookware. I couldn't find anything at Target or Macy's manufactured in the US. Walmart's cast iron cookware is made in the USA.
oh lol I thought you meant I was making it up or something. I'm not opposing the Wal-Mart idea. I was just stating why some people might be oppose to it.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:24 PM

1,474 posts, read 4,996,475 times
Those poor people. They tried so hard to escape the ghetto identity and change theirs to snubbish artsy types. Now Walmart is giving them a rollback on their efforts

Old 07-18-2010, 10:57 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,195,821 times
A nice looking HEB would be an asset - plus, it would still be there 15 years from now and all arguments about wildflowers would be moot.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:09 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
What is HEB similar to?

Old 07-18-2010, 11:43 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
I kind of figured land values there were such that it didn't make much sense to have a ginormous super-dupermarket (be it Wal-Mart, Target or whatever) and the usual concrete-prairie parking lot to go with it.

(cue zoning debate)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArmy View Post
Now Walmart is giving them a rollback on their efforts
I see what you did there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston