Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 01:35 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by millie61 View Post
We recently moved to Sugar land, my Husband is retired Af and for us it is wonderful to live somewhere away from all the military stuff.
Exactly. As long as your husband doesn't march out every morning and give a 21-gun salute (violating the noise restriction), it's not going to be an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 01:42 PM

1,474 posts, read 4,996,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Why be politically correct? What Alphalogica is trying to say is that Sugar Land has a large Muslim population, a percentage of whom view the US military not as guarantors of their freedom, but an evil band of non-believers out to oppress and kill Muslims. Wisely on their part, the military protest crap going on in Britain has not started here yet

only poor muslims think like that. I dont think poverty is an issue at SL communities

Old 07-18-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Why be politically correct? What Alphalogica is trying to say is that Sugar Land has a large Muslim population, a percentage of whom view the US military not as guarantors of their freedom, but an evil band of non-believers out to oppress and kill Muslims. Wisely on their part, the military protest crap going on in Britain has not started here yet

I think Texans are very tolerant of differences in race, religion, nationality, etc., etc. Military protest stuff like this - not so much. My guess is that if this ever happens down here - it will be one time only. Just my guess.

I was in the Bush airport dropping off a friend last week and had to wait. We saw a couple of young soldiers in the bar and asked the bartender if we could just add their tab to ours. He said it had already been picked up by another customer there - and that an additional two customers before us had also asked to pick it up. Guess we like our soldiers.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:48 PM

wow a realtor who understand military types

Old 07-18-2010, 02:29 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times
I honestly have no clue, but something makes me think Katy and Cypress are more pro-military.

But yes, Sugarland has a very large Muslim population.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:36 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,675,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArmy View Post
only poor muslims think like that. I dont think poverty is an issue at SL communities
That's a fallacy unsupported by facts. The Times Square bomber was a middle class educated kid who went broke because he spent all his money going to Pakistan for terrorist training camps.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
That's a fallacy unsupported by facts. The Times Square bomber was a middle class educated kid who went broke because he spent all his money going to Pakistan for terrorist training camps.
sounds like he's poor ey

Old 07-18-2010, 03:35 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,826,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphalogica View Post
Though Sugar Land is very Republican, I thought I would just throw in for a quick second that Sugar Land (like much of Houston minus Clear Lake) isn't a very strong prior-military/Officer area. Judging from your post and the kind of house you are in the market for, you appear to be a retiring Officer, which is cool.

Though it would be rather difficult for me to explain why without starting a flame-war, overall Sugar Land is not a very military-friendly town. One of the more obvious reasons for this is that much of Sugar Land is recent Asian immigrants (Pakistani, Indian, Chinese, etc.) and the US military to them is a very, very, very foreign concept. There area few other reasons too...

I'm not saying don't move to Sugar Land. I'm just saying to a soon-to-be retired Officer that be aware that the military is way over the heads of a lot of people there, esp. among the foreign born/first generation population, which is significant and growing.

When I think of a good place in Houston for retired O's, I think of Clear Lake, as NASA has a strong, deeply-entrenched working relationship with the military and the core of NASA (astronauts) are usually military Officers.

I'm saying this as someone who is Asian-American, grew up in Sugar Land and served. I know of at least two Officers in my former Army Reserve unit that would agree with my assessment.
This post has all sorts of info that surprised me. I have never been in the military so maybe I'm clueless but Sugar Land seems like a very patriotic place to me, a city where many (most?) of the residents appreciate the sacrifices made by the U.S. military personnel to enable the rest of us to enjoy the freedom we do.

Clear Lake and Sugar Land feel completely different. We house hunted in both and we preferred Sugar Land. The OP may prefer it, too, and I wouldn't want him to be frightened off by the comments above.

As for Telfair, it is very nice. Pricey for what you get, but that is because it is the last new development available in Sugar Land proper.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:55 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
This post has all sorts of info that surprised me. I have never been in the military so maybe I'm clueless but Sugar Land seems like a very patriotic place to me, a city where many (most?) of the residents appreciate the sacrifices made by the U.S. military personnel to enable the rest of us to enjoy the freedom we do.
I don't think you're clueless at all. I agree with you. Although SL has a large Asian and foreign population compared to many other suburbs, from all of my years of living in the area it seems most of them integrate quite well to Texas from what I observe. On all of the patriotic holidays, you see flags everywhere and at the entrances to most of the large subdivisions. From some of the comments above you'd think we were describing Dearborn Michigan or something... quite misleading and made me laugh just a bit. (BTW, I don't know what on earth a photo from something in the UK has to do with Sugar Land... totally different situation over there, read up on the 2nd most popular baby boy name over there)

Old 07-18-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post

Clear Lake and Sugar Land feel completely different. We house hunted in both and we preferred Sugar Land. The OP may prefer it, too, and I wouldn't want him to be frightened off by the comments above.

As for Telfair, it is very nice. Pricey for what you get, but that is because it is the last new development available in Sugar Land proper.
I feel you are right. The OP may like another part of town better for whatever reason, but it shouldn't be because of military.

As to the comment above about understanding military types, I have a retired military brother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston