Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-27-2010, 07:09 AM
 
2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times
Reputation: 1315

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
You'll miss it if you moved to the DC area. Nothing in that area compared to HEB.
Wegman's and Harris-Teeter are the only ones that could compare to HEB or Publix, but they're mainly in the Northern VA suburbs. The Maryland Suburbs mainly have Safeway, Shoppers Food Warehouse, and (ugh) Giant.

Safeway and Shoppers Food Warehouse are meh, and Giant SUCKS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-27-2010, 07:35 AM
 
Location: Gainesville
16 posts, read 43,590 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liljo22 View Post
Publix is only more expensive because that what the Florida market calls for. It was actullay cheaper than Winn-Dixi/Albertsons and forced most to go out of business. If they were to enter the Houston market, they would be at the same price level as HEB just as HEB would raise its prices if it went into Florida.

No argument from me on this. It's obvious Publix did a good job at running out the competition and it is almost a hassle to go to any other store since it seems like there's a Publix on ever other street corner. I still think Texans would choose their HEB over a Publix if the prices were the same. Publix might be able to do well against Kroger but I think that could be a stretch as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2010, 08:45 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
469 posts, read 1,100,889 times
Reputation: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhornlayla View Post
No argument from me on this. It's obvious Publix did a good job at running out the competition and it is almost a hassle to go to any other store since it seems like there's a Publix on ever other street corner. I still think Texans would choose their HEB over a Publix if the prices were the same. Publix might be able to do well against Kroger but I think that could be a stretch as well.
I agree and thats why I don't think Publix enters this market. If it was just Kroger and Randall's, I could see them making the move. With HEB, there would be too much competition to overcome since its a local brand.

If they do enter, it will be the Hispanic centered stores that they have in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2010, 09:26 AM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Reputation: 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liljo22 View Post
If they do enter, it will be the Hispanic centered stores that they have in Florida.
They'll be going against Fiesta then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2010, 10:13 AM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Reputation: 7428
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Wegman's and Harris-Teeter are the only ones that could compare to HEB or Publix, but they're mainly in the Northern VA suburbs. The Maryland Suburbs mainly have Safeway, Shoppers Food Warehouse, and (ugh) Giant.

Safeway and Shoppers Food Warehouse are meh, and Giant SUCKS.
Giant and Food Lion are the worst places ever. Safeway was OK, but never been to others. How would you compare Wegman's and Harris-Teeter to HEB. I've heard good things about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2010, 10:36 AM
 
Location: Houston, Tx
3,644 posts, read 6,304,160 times
Reputation: 1633
I miss Publix's bakery. The Kroger near my place does not have as good baked-goods as Publix had. I don't know of a HEB near me but maybe I'll look it up on googlemaps and see how their baked-goods compare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2010, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Reputation: 7428
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
I miss Publix's bakery. The Kroger near my place does not have as good baked-goods as Publix had. I don't know of a HEB near me but maybe I'll look it up on googlemaps and see how their baked-goods compare.
If you're in Miami than HEB is not there. Only HEB is in Texas and Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2010, 11:16 AM
 
Location: America
5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times
Reputation: 1971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhornlayla View Post
. I still think Texans would choose their HEB over a Publix if the prices were the same.
i honestly don't think i would. unless HEB steps their game up a little
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2010, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Reputation: 7428
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
i honestly don't think i would. unless HEB steps their game up a little
Trust me. Publix wouldn't overtake HEB. No way it could because HEB is an amazing store when you find a quality store. The thing is that HEB isn't consistent though. Publix would be taking a HUGE risk if they tried to enter Texas; same thing with HEB entering the Southeast [It tried with Louisiana and failed].
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2010, 11:38 AM
 
Location: America
5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times
Reputation: 1971
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Trust me. Publix wouldn't overtake HEB. No way it could because HEB is an amazing store when you find a quality store. The thing is that HEB isn't consistent though. Publix would be taking a HUGE risk if they tried to enter Texas; same thing with HEB entering the Southeast [It tried with Louisiana and failed].
i never said publix would overtake HEB. i'm saying that if we had both here, and the prices were the same, i would most likely still prefer publix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top