Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2010, 11:43 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,248,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Giant and Food Lion are the worst places ever. Safeway was OK, but never been to others. How would you compare Wegman's and Harris-Teeter to HEB. I've heard good things about them.
I've never been to an HEB, so I can't say. However, in rankings such as Consumer Reports, Wegman's, Publix, Harris-Teeter, Raley's (chain in Northern California), and HEB tend to rank the highest, so HEB is in good company.

I forgot about Food Lion. I agree they are horrible.

The Giant Grocery store around the corner from where my brother used to live in DC was awful. He would take the Metro to go to another part of town to do his grocery shopping, and it was cheaper to boot.

I will agree that I just can't picture Publix in the super-competitive Houston market in the near future. Publix and Harris-Teeter seem to do best in certain parts of the Southeast (they're doing well in Nashville, but I don't know if they'll expand into Memphis). Brookshires (based in Texas) and Albertson's failed in Mississippi. I couldn't picture HEB on this side of the Mississippi River either.

And that's fine with me. Too much homoginization of a lot of stores as it is already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 12:15 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post

I will agree that I just can't picture Publix in the super-competitive Houston market in the near future. Publix and Harris-Teeter seem to do best in certain parts of the Southeast (they're doing well in Nashville, but I don't know if they'll expand into Memphis). Brookshires (based in Texas) and Albertson's failed in Mississippi. I couldn't picture HEB on this side of the Mississippi River either.

And that's fine with me. Too much homoginization of a lot of stores as it is already.
i think brookshire's could do well in expanding. they're already in eastern arkansas. who's to say they might be able to expand into tennessee?

Old 07-27-2010, 01:21 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I've never been to an HEB, so I can't say. However, in rankings such as Consumer Reports, Wegman's, Publix, Harris-Teeter, Raley's (chain in Northern California), and HEB tend to rank the highest, so HEB is in good company.

I forgot about Food Lion. I agree they are horrible.

The Giant Grocery store around the corner from where my brother used to live in DC was awful. He would take the Metro to go to another part of town to do his grocery shopping, and it was cheaper to boot.

Hell Albertson barely survives in Texas. It closed down lots of its locations in Texas. It's really only relevant in Dallas, but once HEB expands in the Dallas area; I assume it will lose appeal there too. Brookshire is more of a small-town grocery store; usually only found outside of the major cities in Texas.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:23 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,248,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
i think brookshire's could do well in expanding. they're already in eastern arkansas. who's to say they might be able to expand into tennessee?
It depends on a number of factors, depending on the market. Schnucks, a St. Louis based grocery store made inroads in the Memphis area about a decade ago. I think that's the farthest south they go.

Brookshires had some locations in Central Mississippi, and suddenly died this year. They sold me some expired seafood salad a few years back, so I say good riddance. But seriously, there was a Walmart that expanded into a Supercenter, as well as a newly-built Supercenter up the road in Madison, and I think that had a part in killing a lot of the Brookshires locations in Jackson.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:42 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,518 times
Quote:
Hell Albertson barely survives in Texas. It closed down lots of its locations in Texas. It's really only relevant in Dallas, but once HEB expands in the Dallas area; I assume it will lose appeal there too. Brookshire is more of a small-town grocery store; usually only found outside of the major cities in Texas.
i believe there's actually some in ex-urb houston and dallas. i know there's one in katy (although i think that might be brookshire brothers)

Old 07-27-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
i believe there's actually some in ex-urb houston and dallas. i know there's one in katy (although i think that might be brookshire brothers)
I said outside of major cities. Doesn't Tyler have one in its downtown and around the city??? In Waco, we have one out in Lorena which is about 20 minutes outside the city.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:49 PM

16 posts, read 43,582 times
Quote:
HEB isn't in Dallas?
I don't think Albertsons is doing well as a whole. I used to shop in one in Austin (on Riverside, I'm pretty sure it's not there anymore). They couldn't compete with the HEB because their prices were ridiculous. It was nice going in there because the place was always empty though.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhornlayla View Post
HEB isn't in Dallas?
I don't think Albertsons is doing well as a whole. I used to shop in one in Austin (on Riverside, I'm pretty sure it's not there anymore). They couldn't compete with the HEB because their prices were ridiculous. It was nice going in there because the place was always empty though.
HEB has a few scattered around the DFW area and yes, Albertsons sucks and doesn't compare to HEB. The only reason they survive in Dallas because Dallas lacks. That's why I say if Publix did come to Texas; it would go to Dallas.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:56 PM

967 posts, read 2,609,491 times
And yet in the NW... (Spokane, WA... western MT) Albertsons was always the cheapest choice. It all depends on the market I s'pose

Old 07-27-2010, 11:49 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,760,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhornlayla View Post
HEB isn't in Dallas?
Albertsons is two different companies, they spilt in 2006.

Albertsons LLC, inc has 240 stores in Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, and Florida. This company isn't doing very well.

New Albertson's, inc has 529 stores in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Nevada, California, and certain parts of Utah. This company is doing really well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston