Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2010, 12:06 AM

3,260 posts, read 8,772,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
HEB has a few scattered around the DFW area and yes, Albertsons sucks and doesn't compare to HEB. The only reason they survive in Dallas because Dallas lacks. That's why I say if Publix did come to Texas; it would go to Dallas.
HEB won't be coming to Dallas anytime soon because Walmart has 125 store in Dallas-Fort Worth, that why HEB hasn't came to Dallas yet.

Dallas already has too many grocery store chains: Kroger (the Largest Grocery Chain in Dallas-Fort Worth) , Fiesta, Tom Thumb (Safeway), Minyards, Albertsons, Whole Foods, Aldi, Save-A-Lot, Walmart, Super Target, Central Market, El Rancho, Sam's Club, and Costco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 12:08 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,743,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
Albertsons is two different companies, they spilt in 2006.

Albertsons LLC, inc has 240 stores in Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, and Florida. This company isn't doing very well.

New Albertson's, inc has 529 stores in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Nevada, California, and certain parts of Utah. This company is doing really well.
Albertsons LLC has to be doing relatively well in New Mexico, otherwise they would not have had aquired all of the Raley's stores there. Plus I think they have a near monopoly in El Paso if you exclude Wal-Mart.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:23 AM

3,260 posts, read 8,772,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Albertsons LLC has to be doing relatively well in New Mexico, otherwise they would not have had aquired all of the Raley's stores there. Plus I think they have a near monopoly in El Paso if you exclude Wal-Mart.
Albertsons LLC was closing alot of stores in the last 4 years.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:59 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,900,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
HEB won't be coming to Dallas anytime soon because Walmart has 125 store in Dallas-Fort Worth, that why HEB hasn't came to Dallas yet.
I recall reading an article a few years back about HEB being the only grocery chain which -- when faced with Walmart Supercenters opening up in the same markets -- consistently did not suffer any sales loss. It's considered a model of how a regional chain store can successfully compete with Walmart. Plus, in Mexico I believe HEB is actually winning against Walmart in areas where they both exist.

HEB is privately held, so little is known about it's overall strategy for expansion. But one thing many people have observed is that HEB monitors and caters to it's local market very, very well. Even here in Austin, an HEB on the East side of town will have a very different product selection (and presentation) than one on the West side. However, both will have staples that Texans and Austinites can't live without -- and can't find sometimes at Walmart. The HEB prices often seem just as good, and the stuff they carry is pretty much magically identical to what the local residents want: Salsa? You need 150 different kinds to choose from, and HEB will have that. BBQ Sauce? Again, we demand an aisle full of them, every different variety. Better also have enough brisket to fill a few freezers, both trimmed and untrimmed. And already cooked. Tortillas? We need 50 different kinds. The beer aisle better be at least 50% Shiner and Lone Star. What people here want, HEB provides.

Walmart, on the other hand, appears to carry items you would expect to see at any walmart -- or at least any walmart in Texas. BBQ Sauce, sure... but just a few kinds. Salsa, maybe hot medium and mild. Brisket? Maybe 1 kind, not much of it, and don't expect to see a butcher around. Shiner? Heck, a Walmart Superstore probably doesn't even carry enough for one decent tailgate. You end up walking out with Bud Light

The only explanation is that HEB is doing some painstaking research. My guess is that they don't have enough data yet on Dallas. Or perhaps they see the Mexican market and South Texas as growing enough to fuel their expansion for the foreseeable future. But I don't think it's competition that they are worried about.

Last edited by atxcio; 07-28-2010 at 01:11 AM..

Old 07-28-2010, 06:11 AM

587 posts, read 1,136,203 times
I currently live in Florida, but I am a native Houstonian.....down here in South Florida, there are only two grocery stores of note, Publix and Wynn Dixie, along with Walmart and Target. Publix owns all of the south florida grocery market, I would say about 75% of the market belongs to them. Their service is awesome, it cant be beat down here, but their prices are another thing. They are quite expensive, but you certainly pay for quality.

Publix does not have a store card similiar to the Kroger or Randalls card, they do not sell gas, but some of their locations have liquor stores attatched to them, along with Wynn Dixie, Walmart and even Walgreens, which is something you will never see in Texas. Publix has weekly buy one get one specials on certain items, mainly selected cereal, bread, peanut butter, nuts, cans of tuna or chicken, beans, pasta sauce and gatorade/powerade. Their produce is pretty good, right there with HEB, and their bakery items are awesome. Someone earlier mentioned their sub sandwiches, and they are actually very good and tasty.

Wynn Dixie does have a store card, and also matches publix with the buy one get one free items every week, but they have seleceted meats, seafood and frozen items every week.Neither chain doubles or triples coupon, which is a staple at every store major store in Texas except HEB and Walmart, but Wynn dixie does not nearly have the customer base that Publix has. I would say Wynn Dixie is a cross between Foodtown, Fiesta and some of the lower scale Kroger locations, while Publix is a cross between Kroger Signature stores, HEB and Rice Epicurian Markets.

I dont think Publix will ever enter the Houston or Texas market, because they will be at a major disadvantage trying to compete with the big three(Wallys, aka Walmart, Kroger and HEB) and they will have to change up their operation to fit in(double and triple coupons, offer a HEB style family meal deal, etc)...On top of that, they will have to purchase major real estate for stores, build a warehouse network and since they are located in mainly upper middle class and upscale areas, they would be in places like the Memorial area,Sugarland, Katy, Pearland, the Woodlands, Kingwood, and the Clear Lake area

Old 07-28-2010, 11:43 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,811,191 times
If Publix did decide to try Texas, I wonder will it force some stores to close or will it itself fail?

Old 07-29-2010, 12:28 AM

221 posts, read 611,952 times
heb is all i need

Old 07-29-2010, 02:18 AM

6 posts, read 41,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajet View Post
Disgusting, really? They may not sell blue bell ice cream or play country music in their stores, but most of their stores are very nice.

[url= GreenWise store in Hyde Park - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity[/url]
lol publix does carry blue bell icecream...no card needed....no known plan for moving west of alabama yet....btw my husband is from tx and works for publix....and he would want tp transfer there if tx got one

Old 07-29-2010, 02:27 AM

6 posts, read 41,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Ummm.....I don't think it would be that simple. I just don't see Publix entering the Texas area. period. However, if it did it would probably go to Dallas first.
logistics and warehousing would decide where it would go....

Old 07-29-2010, 06:51 AM

16 posts, read 43,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveday View Post
lol publix does carry blue bell icecream...no card needed....no known plan for moving west of alabama yet....btw my husband is from tx and works for publix....and he would want tp transfer there if tx got one
I think who carries Blue Bell depends on the region and not the store name. All Publix may carry it; I don't know much about what states Publix' are in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston