Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 08:28 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Yeah, especially since y'all are undergoing some major retail expansions; I wouldn't be surprised, but Publix has to, first, make it to Mississippi.
The thing is; Texas matches Publix with HEB. It would be a huge risk for either company to expand into the others territory. I don't see Publix coming here anytime soon; if ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 08:54 AM

613 posts, read 1,001,916 times
Way too long a thread for me to read, but I had to crack up at the first post. Someone who has never been to Houston saying, "you only have two chains, so when is Publix coming"?

Sure this has already been said, but two chains? Try: HEB (plus their Central Market brand), Kroger, Randall's, Rice Epicurean, Super Target, Super Wal Mart, Costco, Sam's, Whole Foods, Fiesta, H Mart, Specs (although their food selection is limited). Need I go on?

The market is saturated, within a 5-10 minute drive of my house I have at least 8 large super markets including 3 Randall's. If Publix tried to come here they would struggle with the saturation because they add nothing new. I've shopped in Publix before and I would not go out of my way to go there. Everything they have to offer, we have it already. A chain like Trader Joe's, however, brings something new to the market. I would go to Trader Joe's the market for what they have to offer is much less saturated.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:22 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBS98 View Post
Way too long a thread for me to read, but I had to crack up at the first post. Someone who has never been to Houston saying, "you only have two chains, so when is Publix coming"?

Sure this has already been said, but two chains? Try: HEB (plus their Central Market brand), Kroger, Randall's, Rice Epicurean, Super Target, Super Wal Mart, Costco, Sam's, Whole Foods, Fiesta, H Mart, Specs (although their food selection is limited). Need I go on?

The market is saturated, within a 5-10 minute drive of my house I have at least 8 large super markets including 3 Randall's. If Publix tried to come here they would struggle with the saturation because they add nothing new. I've shopped in Publix before and I would not go out of my way to go there. Everything they have to offer, we have it already. A chain like Trader Joe's, however, brings something new to the market. I would go to Trader Joe's the market for what they have to offer is much less saturated.

That's enough bashing against me!

Now they people have explained to me, I understand now.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
The thing is; Texas matches Publix with HEB. It would be a huge risk for either company to expand into the others territory. I don't see Publix coming here anytime soon; if ever.
If so, I just hopes Publix thinks smart about whatever it does regarding Texas.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
If so, I just hopes Publix thinks smart about whatever it does regarding Texas.
I could see it working in Dallas.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:04 AM

Why Dallas?

Old 08-06-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Why Dallas?
We've been over this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Probably because HEB hasn't taken over DFW, like they have Houston. I think DFW has no more than five HEB stores, while there are four alone in the Katy area (including one under construction).

Old 08-06-2011, 12:39 PM

I missed that one. Oops!

Old 08-06-2011, 12:57 PM

717 posts, read 898,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
I honestly don't see HEB as Publix's equal. Sure the former will always be more popular because of the low prices and the simple fact that it has familiarity with the locals as it's a Texas brand, but the latter is just a higher quality grocery shopping experience in my opinion

If Publix does make it to Texas, I see it happening in Dallas or larger East Texas towns. How many grocery stores does the Woodlands have? It might be neat to have one up there

Old 08-06-2011, 04:10 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Publix would have to build a distribution center in Texas before they go anywhere. HEB hasn't taken over DFW. But they are well underway of expanding there. Face it, Texas has its own grocery stores. Tom thumb ( especially), kroger, wal-mart, and more are in DFW. Tom thumb by itself may keep publix out of DFW and Tom thumb is under Safeway foods.

Don't expect publix into any part of Texas anytime soon. Maybe deep east Texas but thats it. In fact, I don't believe there are any stores under the safeway. That maybe a big benefit for publix. In Houston and DFW, stores under safeway AND Kroger have a significant presence there.

Last edited by Spade; 08-06-2011 at 04:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston