Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 05:35 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalie Brown View Post
I honestly don't see HEB as Publix's equal. Sure the former will always be more popular because of the low prices and the simple fact that it has familiarity with the locals as it's a Texas brand, but the latter is just a higher quality grocery shopping experience in my opinion

If Publix does make it to Texas, I see it happening in Dallas or larger East Texas towns. How many grocery stores does the Woodlands have? It might be neat to have one up there
HEB is very much Publix's equal; especially when you throw in Central Market. Publix would not be contributing or bringing in anything new or interesting to the Texas region.

You obviously don't realize that the quality of HEB stores varies. Each store carries to its surrounding demographics. EX. compare the one in 3rd Ward to the one in Bunker Hill. Completely different stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 07:05 PM

717 posts, read 898,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
HEB is very much Publix's equal; especially when you throw in Central Market. Publix would not be contributing or bringing in anything new or interesting to the Texas region.

You obviously don't realize that the quality of HEB stores varies. Each store carries to its surrounding demographics. EX. compare the one in 3rd Ward to the one in Bunker Hill. Completely different stores.
I'll stick to my own opinion thanks. There's only a handful of Central Markets in the entire state, catering to the largest metros, but the regular HEB stores are not as consistent in quality, and even some of the nicest ones didn't impress me as much as Publix

Heb is good for produce and meats, but aside from that I can easily do without them

Old 08-06-2011, 08:56 PM

81 posts, read 128,276 times
to hell with the oligarchy, i stick it to the man and shop local farmer's markets and private family farms. there is actually quite a few of them around. a quick internet search will probably give you half a dozen in or near your side of town, wherever that may be.

farmer's markets sell natural, real food, not monsanto poison GMOs made in china for 10cents/lb, because their objective isnt "profit, by any means". they arent trying to meet the bloated salary requirements of a board of directors. their customer's health is important and customer satisfaction is their only concern. plus i love the variety of healthy veggies.

real food grown the right way costs a little more, but its worth it. to me every dollar is a vote, and every form of activism adds up. i am conscious about what i buy and what i put into my body, and if i dont like what a company does, or what its investors do, then as long as i can help not doing so, i absolutely will not contribute to their bottom line.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:11 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,990,441 times
Um, this is Houston aka Mexico. There's a ton of Fiesta's all over.

Albertson's didn't do very well. HEB and Kroger kind of push everyone out. Randall's still hold's strong and that's really only because it's so freaking more expensive so it's like "upper crust" (at least that's the "It's more classy like Target up against Walmart like HEB and Kroger) normal foods for people that don't want to find a Whole Foods and get stuff for $2 more just because it's organic.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:33 PM

940 posts, read 1,902,022 times
I don't think anyone mentioned that Safeway was very big in Austin and Houston in the 80's. Something happened and they got crushed in Houston, and I think the Austin stores were under the Houston division so they closed too. When they closed shop, the Houston management bought them out for pretty cheap and they ran them as Apple Tree for a few years and then they went down. This was after I got here in '89 but before HEB was here. HEB came in real modestly as HEB Pantry, very small stores for years. Now they are one of the titans of the area. One of the smartest and best run companies in Texas. They opened the first monster natural foods market on North Lamar in Austin, before Whole Foods had the really large format. This North Lamar Central Market is hands down the most pleasant layout of all, you can sit outside in the grass if you want, and munch or sip. I haven't seen a Whole Foods with grass to sit on.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:49 PM

65 posts, read 224,330 times
I remember when H.E.B. entered the Houston market. Kroger & Randall's were slugging it out, Fiesta was holding its own, everyone ignored Safeway, Gerland's had a presence & there were still a few Apple Trees. Why was another grocer coming to town? Food Lion & Albertson's came along a few years later.

Going further back, I really miss Weingarten's. Kroger was so-so, Randall's was too pricey, every Safeway (even a brand new one on opening day) was too dirty, Fiesta was a crap shoot & Rice had only a few stores. But! Weingarten's had great prices, fantastic selection, & were the first 24 hr. store here. I really miss them.

I've read through all 18 pages & have to say I don't miss Publix one bit - I lived in Fla. 11 years (Bradenton, Tampa & Jacksonville). At the time (over 30 years ago), we had Publix, Kash 'N Karry & Winn-Dixie to choose from. Publix was too high, Winn-Dixie stores were usually dirty, & Kash 'N Karry was ok. Then... SKAGGS ALBERTSON came to town & that was it. From then on, I was a "Skaggs Addict" (as my housemate called me). They had Yankee food selections (I'm orig. from NW of Chicago), great produce, ok meat (still went to KnK for meat), good prices & were open 24 hours. That was a plus for me because I was working nights & could drive across the street from work when I got out at 2 a.m. & do my shopping.

I was thrilled when (the now truncated name) Albertson's came to Houston. They still had the great selection, but the prices were way higher, comparatively. No surprise they didn't last here.

I'm at 290 & Huffmeister. Back in the day, I used to do a circle trip for groceries: Jones & West for Randall's/Kroger Signature Store/Food Lion (which I loved & miss), & then to Jones & Bridgedown to Albertson's. Then, Food Lion left, Albertson's moved to 1960 & Eldridge (now a Kroger), so changed my pattern.

Closer to home, there is now a Food Town at Huffmeister & Cypress-North Houston, which was previously a Gerland's, Apple Tree when we moved to this spot 18 years ago, & an Eagle 30 years ago. Kitty corner was an HEB-Pantry, which I would sometimes shop, but they changed the product locations every couple of weeks & was really annoying. They closed & opened the Cypress Market down 290, but that's too far for the few things I would get there (and *I* don't think their prices are all that great). I do the bulk of my shopping at Kroger, esp. for the store brands which are good quality & I get a 10% Senior Discount (I'm in my 50s, but won't argue with any discount).

So, that's my contribution to the Publix thread. I could go on about Chicaoland grocers, but...

Old 08-08-2011, 11:55 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,772,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegs56 View Post
I remember when H.E.B. entered the Houston market. Kroger & Randall's were slugging it out, Fiesta was holding its own, everyone ignored Safeway, Gerland's had a presence & there were still a few Apple Trees. Why was another grocer coming to town? Food Lion & Albertson's came along a few years later.

Going further back, I really miss Weingarten's. Kroger was so-so, Randall's was too pricey, every Safeway (even a brand new one on opening day) was too dirty, Fiesta was a crap shoot & Rice had only a few stores. But! Weingarten's had great prices, fantastic selection, & were the first 24 hr. store here. I really miss them.

I've read through all 18 pages & have to say I don't miss Publix one bit - I lived in Fla. 11 years (Bradenton, Tampa & Jacksonville). At the time (over 30 years ago), we had Publix, Kash 'N Karry & Winn-Dixie to choose from. Publix was too high, Winn-Dixie stores were usually dirty, & Kash 'N Karry was ok. Then... SKAGGS ALBERTSON came to town & that was it. From then on, I was a "Skaggs Addict" (as my housemate called me). They had Yankee food selections (I'm orig. from NW of Chicago), great produce, ok meat (still went to KnK for meat), good prices & were open 24 hours. That was a plus for me because I was working nights & could drive across the street from work when I got out at 2 a.m. & do my shopping.

I was thrilled when (the now truncated name) Albertson's came to Houston. They still had the great selection, but the prices were way higher, comparatively. No surprise they didn't last here.

I'm at 290 & Huffmeister. Back in the day, I used to do a circle trip for groceries: Jones & West for Randall's/Kroger Signature Store/Food Lion (which I loved & miss), & then to Jones & Bridgedown to Albertson's. Then, Food Lion left, Albertson's moved to 1960 & Eldridge (now a Kroger), so changed my pattern.

Closer to home, there is now a Food Town at Huffmeister & Cypress-North Houston, which was previously a Gerland's, Apple Tree when we moved to this spot 18 years ago, & an Eagle 30 years ago. Kitty corner was an HEB-Pantry, which I would sometimes shop, but they changed the product locations every couple of weeks & was really annoying. They closed & opened the Cypress Market down 290, but that's too far for the few things I would get there (and *I* don't think their prices are all that great). I do the bulk of my shopping at Kroger, esp. for the store brands which are good quality & I get a 10% Senior Discount (I'm in my 50s, but won't argue with any discount).

So, that's my contribution to the Publix thread. I could go on about Chicaoland grocers, but...
Nice history.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:38 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,994,493 times
Randalls isn't bad - they've dropped their prices to be more competitive of late and they always have the best produce.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:19 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,772,850 times
It sounds like Randall's is equivalent to our Publix more than HEB.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:16 PM

65 posts, read 224,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
It sounds like Randall's is equivalent to our Publix more than HEB.
I'd say so. HEB is probably closer to Kash 'N Karry (which was taken over by Sweetbay). Randall's used to be locally owned (in Houston), but was taken over by Safeway (although they kept the Randall's name).

And I still miss Weingarten's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston