Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 09:13 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,231,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
I thought it was Here Everything's Better.
That's the motto and HEB stands for "Howard E Butt". I would know; I use to work there.

And yes, each HEB is reflective of the area it's in. Huge difference between the one in third ward and the one in Bunker hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 04:39 PM

469 posts, read 1,101,604 times
I see too much competition for Publix to enter the market. HEB, Kroger, and Randals are all usually located next to one another. Would not be worth it to open up in this market.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:43 PM

469 posts, read 1,101,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thila View Post
Are you required to use one of those stupid cards at Publix? I do not think my keychain has enough room for one more. Egads.

No cards with Publix.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:49 PM

575 posts, read 1,778,690 times
Quote:
To me, it seems like the only grocery stores in Houston are HEB and Kroger. That's just in my opinion. I know that I could be wrong about there only being two chain grocery stores in the area. Considering the fact that Publix is a southern grocery store, wil it ever come to Houston and create competition among other grocery chains?

Isn't HEB a privately owned, Texas based co? Maybe it's the support the hometown guy tendencies in me, but wouldn't shopping there result in a larger share of revenue coming back into the Texas economy vs shopping at a chain store based in another state?

Although given what I've read about current economic conditions in FL, I'm sure they can use all the Publix revenue they can get their hands on.

Granted, supporting the local guy only works for me if they're reasonably competitive, but for the most part it sounds like HEB is... yes?

Old 07-20-2010, 06:58 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,932,109 times
I would like Trader Joe's though. I like Whole Foods, but I want one out here in Pearland.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:00 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,565,329 times
I think there is a better chance of Trader Joe's entering Texas than Publix.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:07 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,505,712 times
Publix? Really? Well, I've only been to one several times and it was in SouthMiami/The Gables. It was disgusting.

On a side note, Blue Bell Ice Cream is now in NC.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:28 AM

2,286 posts, read 1,586,702 times
one location cannot say it is great or not. You may have been to a smaller sized one that cannot be upgraded or expanded. I have been to very nice grocery stores in CA and NY and after going to a few Publix in Southwest Florida and one near the marina in Ft Lauderdale, I must say the bigger ones are very nice, good to great prices too and on par with upscale grocery stores.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:33 AM

809 posts, read 3,571,018 times
Quote:
To me, it seems like the only grocery stores in Houston are HEB and Kroger. That's just in my opinion. I know that I could be wrong about there only being two chain grocery stores in the area. Considering the fact that Publix is a southern grocery store, wil it ever come to Houston and create competition among other grocery chains?
You seem awfully concerned about what stores we have in Houston when
A) You don't live here
B) You've never been here (Or else you wouldn't make so many false assumptions)

I'm really curious why you are so concerned about what stores we have here. Are you planning on opening up some? Or is this some type of school project? It wouldn't bug me so much if you at least did a little research before posting such silly statements.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:42 AM

809 posts, read 3,571,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
There's Randall's too, but they are very expensive. I have never been to a Publix and would like to try it out. I REALLY want Trader Joe's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
HEB & Kroger are more than adequate for what I need. I go to local Asian markets for ethnic stuff and on the rare occasion make my way down to Whole Foods. I'm still longing for Trader Joe's though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I would like Trader Joe's though. I like Whole Foods, but I want one out here in Pearland.

Email Trader Joe's and let them know!
Trader Joe's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston