Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 10:18 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,123,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTx View Post
Email Trader Joe's and let them know!
Trader Joe's
I've been doing that ever since I moved here. I'm sure others who had TJs in their previous cities & states have done the same. There are also at least 2 fb pages dedicated to "bring TJ to Houston".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 10:20 AM

316 posts, read 784,350 times
Quote:
EasilyAmused - Publix? Really? Well, I've only been to one several times and it was in SouthMiami/The Gables. It was disgusting.
Disgusting, really? They may not sell blue bell ice cream or play country music in their stores, but most of their stores are very nice.

Publix GreenWise store in Hyde Park - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity

Old 07-21-2010, 10:34 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I don't know because HEB is huge here and that will be tough competition for Publix.
ehhh, i don't know. i don't live in houston, but overall HEB can sometimes be a hit or miss. some of them are good while others suck. call me crazy, but unless it's produce or i'm looking for the same item at a cheaper price, i prefer to do my grocery shopping at walmart. they ALWAYS have what i'm looking for in stock, while i can go to like three HEB's looking for ONE thing and neither one of them will have it

we should be so lucky to have publix enter the texas market. atleast maybe in dallas where they don't have HEB.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:47 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,527,366 times
The only thing about Publix that I did not care for is that they are expensive. HEB is much much lower and depending on the neighborhood you are in, the quality is just as good if not better. I know the HEB in Killeen they built in 2002 was great. I remember my family from Florida in 1997 came out here and bought a ton of groceries and they were prepared to spend over 250 dollars when it was all said and done. They were shocked that it came up to only 140 dollars.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:05 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,940,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
To me, it seems like the only grocery stores in Houston are HEB and Kroger. That's just in my opinion. I know that I could be wrong about there only being two chain grocery stores in the area. Considering the fact that Publix is a southern grocery store, wil it ever come to Houston and create competition among other grocery chains?
We also Have

Fiestamart
Walmart
Target
Randalls
Foodtown
Foodarama
HEB
Central Market
WholeFoods

among others.

I think there is already waaay too much competition for Publix to enter.

Albertsons, Kmart and Auchans have recently left so I don't know about more competition coming in

Old 07-21-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The only thing about Publix that I did not care for is that they are expensive. HEB is much much lower and depending on the neighborhood you are in, the quality is just as good if not better. I know the HEB in Killeen they built in 2002 was great. I remember my family from Florida in 1997 came out here and bought a ton of groceries and they were prepared to spend over 250 dollars when it was all said and done. They were shocked that it came up to only 140 dollars.
the cost is the only complaint i hear from most people about publix, but many also say it's worth it.

as far as HEB goes, the best one i've yet to visit is the brand new location in san antonio off of wurzbach pkwy at the alon market. it's this whole new fancy shopping complex that even has office space across the parking lot. real neat. although the selection of items still leaves a lot to be desired, it's pretty damn snazzy for an HEB. or maybe i'm just country lol

Alon Town Centre :: Mixed-use development by Fulcrum Development, Inc., San Antonio, Texas.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:08 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,940,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I only shop at the one in Pearland and...... third ward [worst HEB EVER].
Actually the HEB closest to where I lived in SA was much much worse than the one in 3rd ward. Visiting that HEB by bus is rough and that HEB is kinda small, but I found it much cheaper than mine in SA and it was cleaner and the people their seemed friendlier

Old 07-21-2010, 11:47 AM

316 posts, read 784,350 times
Now if Houston could ever get Trader Joes - Talk about a awesome beer and wine selection - could almost come close to Specs but add fish, meat, poultry, produce and their signature items - more on Publix below -

Best & worst grocery stores 2010

WHY PUBLIX IS SO DARN GOOD - Cover Story - Refrigerated & Frozen Foods Retailer Magazine

n May 2007, Quality Digest completed a customer satisfaction survey of the best and worst retailers as ranked by consumers. Here are the results.

TOP 10

Wegmans
Trader Joe's
Nordstrom
Publix
Amazon.com
Kohl's
Whole Foods Market
Costco
Barnes and Noble
Bath and Body Works

BOTTOM 10

Dick's Sporting Goods
Sears
Best Buy
Albertson's
Big Lots
Circuit City
7-Eleven
Home Depot
K-Mart

Old 07-21-2010, 12:37 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
the cost is the only complaint i hear from most people about publix, but many also say it's worth it.

as far as HEB goes, the best one i've yet to visit is the brand new location in san antonio off of wurzbach pkwy at the alon market. it's this whole new fancy shopping complex that even has office space across the parking lot. real neat. although the selection of items still leaves a lot to be desired, it's pretty damn snazzy for an HEB. or maybe i'm just country lol

Alon Town Centre :: Mixed-use development by Fulcrum Development, Inc., San Antonio, Texas.
I will say this about Publix. I got a sub from there one day many years ago and it was so good I wanted to go back and spend another 7 dollars on it. Best sub I ever had. Fresh too. But yeah, they are pretty expensive. Like Giant in DC.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I will say this about Publix. I got a sub from there one day many years ago and it was so good I wanted to go back and spend another 7 dollars on it. Best sub I ever had. Fresh too. But yeah, they are pretty expensive. Like Giant in DC.
fact of the matter is, publix will most likely never see the light of day in texas. i doubt they even have their eyes set on any locations west of the mississippi. they'll probably head further north before they head west
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston