Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2010, 08:31 PM

967 posts, read 2,609,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I've been to them in Florida and Tennessee. I've been to more nice ones than bad ones. It really isn't that amazing. HEB is better for me.
Agree 100% I am currently on vacay in Georgia and stopped in a Publix for a birthday cake, as well as other roadtrip treats. Nothing special whatsoever about Publix.

What in the world do you need that you cannot get at Kroger, Randalls, HEB, Fiesta, Food Town, Brookshire Brothers, Wal-Mart, SuperTarget anyway?

Seems like enough grocery stores to me. What makes anyone think Publix needs to enter the Houston market anyway? Seems we are satuarted ENOUGH with grocery stores
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 08:40 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,122,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
That's funny. I didn't know HEB has gas stations.
Not all of them do. Select Krogers also have gas stations.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:18 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,915,974 times
For those commenting about the San Antonio HEB's---San Antonio is the home of HEB. There are many, many of the little, old, crappy, dirty original neighborhood HEB grocery stores in San Antonio (when I went to high school there in the 70's, HEB was the crappy brand and Handy Andy was the high-end store).

The HEB's in Houston are absolutely the equivalent of every Publix I've ever visited (Buckhead, Lenox, Navarre Beach, FL), and yes, the bigger, nicer, newer Publix.

Also, another poster mentioned about HEB being a Texas chain---and they're right. When you patronize HEB, you are "shopping local", even if "local" means "Texas" and not just Houston.

Whereas Kroger is from Cincinnati, Ohio and Randall's (now Safeway-owned) is Pleasanton, California.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:15 AM

332 posts, read 1,323,432 times
Publix is nothing special. It's just the Florida version of HEB and it would never survive if it tried to enter this market.

There are the unique things about HEB I'd miss if I moved again, but it is just a grocery store and surely I'd find new things to enjoy wherever I am.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:11 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvie View Post
For those commenting about the San Antonio HEB's---San Antonio is the home of HEB. There are many, many of the little, old, crappy, dirty original neighborhood HEB grocery stores in San Antonio (when I went to high school there in the 70's, HEB was the crappy brand and Handy Andy was the high-end store).

The HEB's in Houston are absolutely the equivalent of every Publix I've ever visited (Buckhead, Lenox, Navarre Beach, FL), and yes, the bigger, nicer, newer Publix.

Also, another poster mentioned about HEB being a Texas chain---and they're right. When you patronize HEB, you are "shopping local", even if "local" means "Texas" and not just Houston.

Whereas Kroger is from Cincinnati, Ohio and Randall's (now Safeway-owned) is Pleasanton, California.
HEB is in Mexico. It was in Louisana too, but it didn't catch on and closed down.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:13 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanTex View Post
Publix is nothing special. It's just the Florida version of HEB and it would never survive if it tried to enter this market.

There are the unique things about HEB I'd miss if I moved again, but it is just a grocery store and surely I'd find new things to enjoy wherever I am.
You'll miss it if you moved to the DC area. Nothing in that area compared to HEB.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:45 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,769,052 times
Wegman's

Old 07-24-2010, 03:27 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,441,551 times
I just wish HEB would open stores in my hometown of El Paso Texas. Everytime I go back to visit I have to put up with crappy Albertsons.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:31 AM

848 posts, read 2,126,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
To me, it seems like the only grocery stores in Houston are HEB and Kroger. That's just in my opinion. I know that I could be wrong about there only being two chain grocery stores in the area. Considering the fact that Publix is a southern grocery store, wil it ever come to Houston and create competition among other grocery chains?
I hope it doesn't come. PUBLIX and that green facade...it'd remind me too much of Clearwater/Largo/Dunedin, Florida and not in a good way. I just think too much of the senior citizens that make up the patronage. Nothing against them, as I will get that age one day, but I just like a more diverse population.

Kash N Karry, Winn Dixie, Albertson's and PUBLIX pretty much served my part of Florida and probably most of the other parts as well.

But Houston H-E-Bs. Now those me up when I need some provisions.

I don't think PUBLIX could handle the competition here though. Houston's just got so many ethnic grocers too that you don't find en masse in Florida.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:41 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,769,052 times
Ok, now I see what you guys are saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston