U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2010, 03:51 PM

17 posts, read 47,617 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are being relocated to Houston by his company and I love all the advice on this site. I've combed the threads and have gathered tons of info, but would like to reiterate a few questions for recent feedback specific to our situation. Thank you in advance to all those who tirelessly answer the same questions over and over.

I am looking for some advice about what neighborhoods to look at based on the following criteria:
  • He will be working from home 2-3 days a week; all over downtown 2-3 days a week. Company picking up the tab on tolls, etc.
  • I will be home with our 4 year old for the next year homeschooling him Pre-K with 2-3 partial days in a school/early learning environment. In Fall 2011, I will be going back to school full time, with my intended school being downtown (near the medical center, I'm guessing) and my son will be in Kindergarten.
  • Schools are important as is safe neighborhoods, and amenities. We would like to live somewhere with great parks, pools, etc., (a workout facility would be fantastic) and decent proximity to shopping and schools. We are used to a planned community environment where I can easily run by myself without feeling unsafe, and not worry about neighborhood crime and vandalism. Family oriented and newer homes are important also. I don't want to move into a fixer upper, but probably won't have time to wait for new build either.
  • Also important is to stay out of the path of a hurricane. lol. Any chance of that? I'm not familiar with the areas that need to worry about that more than others (do I sound like an ignorant transplant yet?) .
So, when I come down to house hunt next month, I am narrowing down the communities I would like to see. I will only have a few days, so I want to make my time worthwhile. Our budget is dependent on what our house here in Seattle sells for (luckily, we're not under water on our mortgage), but right now we are expecting to be in the 210-250 range for 2k sq. feet minimum, 4 bedrooms, an office (or formal dining that can become an office), and an upstairs game room.

I am looking at the following neighborhoods in order of interest. Any advice and pro's/con's are greatly appreciated...I would also like to know if I'm off the mark in terms of price range for what I need in these areas or if there are other awesome planned communities I'm leaving out that are must see:

1. Cinco Ranch
2. Cross Creek Ranch
3. Sienna Plantation
4. Shadow Creek Ranch
5. Bridgeland
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 04:20 PM

9,053 posts, read 16,332,193 times
I would rule out Bridgeland. Although he only goes downtown 2-3 days a week - it will be a bad commute along congested 290 - and once you go back to school, you both will have to endure it.

Cross Creek Ranch - there are only a very few to pick from under $250K

Shadow Creek Ranch - the closest commute. The most possibility of wind damage during a hurricane - but they aren't as often as you think.
The other two are doable. A further commute than Shadow Creek

Old 07-19-2010, 04:32 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,328,462 times
I would cross off CCR and Bridgeland just for the sheer distance. IF you're a mom, wife, with FT schooling, every hour not commuting is precious, I would think. I dont' think you'd have to worry about hurricaine dammage much in any of the areas you mentioned, not saying never, but it's not a consideration of mine (If you were considering something closer to the coast like ClearLake, etc, then I'd worry).

Old 07-19-2010, 06:23 PM

When you come down, you really want to look in all of your possible areas. The factual criteria (price, square footage, etc.) is important, but so is the "feel".

I just had a couple of clients come down recently that thought they were going to go in one area - and finally decided on anotheer area, because of the intangible feel of the neighborhood. You just can't tell from the internet.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:56 AM

739 posts, read 2,029,190 times
You may want to look at Richmond. Pecan Grove is a nice family area. I lived there for 16 years and never really suffer an hurrican damage. I also commuted to the medical center utilizing Hwy 90. The houses are in your price range.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:27 AM

17 posts, read 47,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
When you come down, you really want to look in all of your possible areas. The factual criteria (price, square footage, etc.) is important, but so is the "feel".

I just had a couple of clients come down recently that thought they were going to go in one area - and finally decided on anotheer area, because of the intangible feel of the neighborhood. You just can't tell from the internet.
Thank you Cheryjohns! You've been helpful to me on other threads, so I appreciate it. This is great advice. I have fallen head over heels with houses and/or amentities in most all of the communities I've mentioned, so I know it's probably time to put the breaks on and wait until I get down there to look.

Does anyone have thoughts on Pine Mill Ranch? What are the amenities like (do they have a pool and parks or is it just a neighborhood?). From what I've read, it's close to Cinco, so maybe still a doable option for commuting? The houses look just as nice as anywhere else, but the prices are much better. I assume that is due to the fact that it's not a MPC, or is it? Still a little confused about how to tell the difference or if it matters.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:41 AM

14 posts, read 36,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by batdogmama View Post
My husband and I are being relocated to Houston by his company and I love all the advice on this site. I've combed the threads and have gathered tons of info, but would like to reiterate a few questions for recent feedback specific to our situation. Thank you in advance to all those who tirelessly answer the same questions over and over.

I am looking for some advice about what neighborhoods to look at based on the following criteria:
  • He will be working from home 2-3 days a week; all over downtown 2-3 days a week. Company picking up the tab on tolls, etc.
  • I will be home with our 4 year old for the next year homeschooling him Pre-K with 2-3 partial days in a school/early learning environment. In Fall 2011, I will be going back to school full time, with my intended school being downtown (near the medical center, I'm guessing) and my son will be in Kindergarten.
  • Schools are important as is safe neighborhoods, and amenities. We would like to live somewhere with great parks, pools, etc., (a workout facility would be fantastic) and decent proximity to shopping and schools. We are used to a planned community environment where I can easily run by myself without feeling unsafe, and not worry about neighborhood crime and vandalism. Family oriented and newer homes are important also. I don't want to move into a fixer upper, but probably won't have time to wait for new build either.
  • Also important is to stay out of the path of a hurricane. lol. Any chance of that? I'm not familiar with the areas that need to worry about that more than others (do I sound like an ignorant transplant yet?) .
So, when I come down to house hunt next month, I am narrowing down the communities I would like to see. I will only have a few days, so I want to make my time worthwhile. Our budget is dependent on what our house here in Seattle sells for (luckily, we're not under water on our mortgage), but right now we are expecting to be in the 210-250 range for 2k sq. feet minimum, 4 bedrooms, an office (or formal dining that can become an office), and an upstairs game room.

I am looking at the following neighborhoods in order of interest. Any advice and pro's/con's are greatly appreciated...I would also like to know if I'm off the mark in terms of price range for what I need in these areas or if there are other awesome planned communities I'm leaving out that are must see:

1. Cinco Ranch
2. Cross Creek Ranch
3. Sienna Plantation
4. Shadow Creek Ranch
5. Bridgeland
This is my shortlist- Cinco Ranch and Sienna Plantation- both communities have great neighborhood, great schools and amenities with lot of kids. Visit them, drive around, and get a feel.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batdogmama View Post
Thank you Cheryjohns! You've been helpful to me on other threads, so I appreciate it. This is great advice. I have fallen head over heels with houses and/or amentities in most all of the communities I've mentioned, so I know it's probably time to put the breaks on and wait until I get down there to look.

Does anyone have thoughts on Pine Mill Ranch? What are the amenities like (do they have a pool and parks or is it just a neighborhood?). From what I've read, it's close to Cinco, so maybe still a doable option for commuting? The houses look just as nice as anywhere else, but the prices are much better. I assume that is due to the fact that it's not a MPC, or is it? Still a little confused about how to tell the difference or if it matters.
It's near the tollway, so it would work for him. Might be too long for you later. It's new and has that unsettled" look - minimal landscaping, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston