Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 06:49 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
In my first post in this thread, I answered like a parent. But speaking from the child's point-of-view, I hated attending private school where my friends lived all over the city. I was so envious of the kids who attended public school in their own neighborhood. It looked like so much fun to have friends up and down the street where you live. That's what I want for my own children and they seem to love it when we walk into a neighborhood restaurant and they know half the families there.
Top, I love ya but...it's just like this in the city as well. Each area is like it's own small town once you live there. You can't go into the neighborhood places without bumping into 5 people you know. If you go to Molina's,Vincent's, Rosie Carrabas, Tila's etc., you are wanting to see 50 people you've known since you were 5. For the kids it's places like ChaChos,Nit Noi,Sylvias, Sweet Mesquite,Becks,Sam's. In fact, I think there are smaller microcosms here when it comes down to it.

As to the kids spread out all over the city for private schools, it's not really like that for the most part anymore because of traffic.There are a few that come in from other areas, but it's more like 2% of the school. I mean that's why you live in the city, so you don't have to drive your ass off everyday,can be close to home and the kids, and have some mental stimulation of the adults in the family. People really do try to get there kids into schools close to home, or 5-10 miles within the house. That's about the same, if not less, of a drive than most suburban High Schools. And the single family neighborhoods on the westside are LOADED with children. So, I don't understand the childless streets image. Midtown, Downtown and places near the park won't have them, but once you get near the bugalows and ranch neighborhoods, they are everywhere. Briargrove (an HISD area) is infested with curtain climbers.

It all boils down to a lifestyle choice. The kids will fine anywhere if the parenting is hands on, ever present and involved.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 07-25-2010 at 07:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 06:53 AM

1,632 posts, read 3,327,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaedra_p View Post

As for the kids turning out weird due to homeschooling, I had to laugh - I have always thought homeschoolers were weird! And now I am one. So uh, yeah. LOL
Times have changed though -- public education seems to get worse and worse every year, right along with the family situation of the average child.

My wife taught elementary school for several years before we moved out here and she's seriously considering home schooling our children as well. You just have to make sure the get their socialization somewhere -- you may just have to be more diligent in signing them up for sports teams, or library hours, or city clubs, etc.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:39 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Top, I love ya but...it's just like this in the city as well. Each area is like it's own small town once you live there.
You love me? I'm touched!

Well, if each inner loop area here is like a small town, then that will be much nicer than how it was where I grew up (not Houston...another huge city). Sounds like a win for the OP either way.

Topaz

Old 07-25-2010, 08:41 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
That's because you'll be the only family in the entire city homeschooling your kids, and no thanks to useless technology such as the Internet, there is no way to make contacts with any others who are like you. Not to mention there are no parks or museums where kids go.

Right?
+1

Texas is one of the easiest states to homeschool in. There are lots of homeschoolers in Houston, lots of homeschooling groups and co-ops that offer organized classes, activities, and socialization opportunities for kids.

As for Inner Loop parenting of young kids, one word: playdates! That's a difference in parenting styles vs. out in the suburbs, I guess. Inner Loop parents make arrangements to meet up so the kids can get together and play instead of letting them run around loose in the neighborhood, or they just go to each others' houses... which isn't that different from the 'burbs.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:44 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,124,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neotextist View Post
As for Inner Loop parenting of young kids, one word: playdates! That's a difference in parenting styles vs. out in the suburbs, I guess. Inner Loop parents make arrangements to meet up so the kids can get together and play instead of letting them run around loose in the neighborhood, or they just go to each others' houses... which isn't that different from the 'burbs.
Just to be clear - parents in the 'burbs also arrange a lot of play dates. My mom's group here has 2 pre-organized play dates a week and those that can't make those often schedule individual play dates with others.

I love the idea that we feel comfortable that when the time comes, we can let our children run around loose (within reason!) in our neighborhood.

I don't think there's a right or wrong answer here - it's only wrong when a situation ends up causing more problems for a family.

Each family needs to assess what is best for their individual circumstances. What works for one family won't necessarily work for another's dynamics. Lots to consider and I think it's true that the grass is always greener on the other side (for the most part anyway).

I hope that OP finds the balance for her family.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:28 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Stole my thunder. Playdates going on out here starting at age 12 months.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:38 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,124,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Stole my thunder. Playdates going on out here starting at age 12 months.

I was kind of surprised at how early play dates started considering none of our kids interacted. For those of us who are SAHM it was more of a "talk-to-other-adults-even-if-we're-still-talking-about-poopy diapers" time. We haven't done these yet, but our play dates actually include trips to the Houston Zoo, the museums, etc...

Old 07-25-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post

I was kind of surprised at how early play dates started considering none of our kids interacted. For those of us who are SAHM it was more of a "talk-to-other-adults-even-if-we're-still-talking-about-poopy diapers" time. We haven't done these yet, but our play dates actually include trips to the Houston Zoo, the museums, etc...
Same here, childrens museum is a popular spot + a few of the small rides at Kemah and Sylvan Beach is just up Hwy 146 from there + some of these FunMax & Jumpin' Jungle type places. Or someone's house (including ours) gets overrun with small kids (age 1-4) & SAHM's talking about whatever they talk about. After some of the stories I've heard, thankfully I'm @ work and don't deal with any of that.

Generally speaking I'm not really sure where some of these perceptions come from.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:53 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
Just to be clear - parents in the 'burbs also arrange a lot of play dates. My mom's group here has 2 pre-organized play dates a week and those that can't make those often schedule individual play dates with others.
Yes, playdates happen all over. My point, though, was that inside the loop they usually happen in lieu of letting kids run around the neighborhood. Of course there are exceptions, depending on what kind of IL nabe you live in, but you won't see as much of that inside the loop as I assume you would in the 'burbs.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:03 AM

Kids here generally don't run around the neighborhood. They will congregate at the end of a cul de sac and play some kind of ''ball'' game while a parent watches.

When they get to about 6th grade (pre-teen) things change which might be the difference, mostly biking around the neighborhood or the trails on the main streets.

At around age 17 is when some of them turn to grocery shopping carts at 2am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston