Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2007, 08:31 PM

11 posts, read 24,041 times

Advertisements

Okay we need alittle help here. Hubby and I are looking to move to Texas from Mich. Which seems to me alot of people are looking to do. Anyways, we have 2 totally different views. I love the small town feel,but must have a city feel near by to go shopping. Hubby wants to live close to Houston city because of his work being near it.(He's looking to transfer within the company from one state to another) But I don't want to live to close to the fast pace and crime area. We have two little ones, one is just starting school and the other has 3yrs to go for school to start. I'm an Med assistant so I guess I would have to be somewhat close for a position in my field. Any advice for us?
Thank you
Linda
ps I'm already reading the book "Fixing to be Texan" I've read on this board that's dead on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 09:27 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,084 times
Wow, there's a book?? LOL

Sounds like you need a suburb. The ones most frequently mentioned seem to be Katy, Sugar Land, Pearland, and the Woodlands, but there are tons of others, apparently. Just depends on where you and your husband will be working.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:48 PM

564 posts, read 2,045,553 times
They're building houses like crazy in area called Fulshear (anti-sprawl folks relax, I'm just sharing information) along F.M. 1093, roughly 30 miles west of the city. That might be a decent compromise. The area is new and hasn't filled in at all, kind of secluded, and certainly won't have the hustle and bustle of the big city. Down side is that the nearest grocery store of any note (not the small town mom-N-pops but the traditional big box) is probably a good six or seven miles away.

Richmond is another option, roughly 30 miles SW of the city. Bigger town than Fulshear with more nearby amenities. Downside is that traffic is rougher coming in on the SW Freeway than the highways heading out of Fulshear into town.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:03 PM

212 posts, read 1,273,246 times
Fulshear would put you closer to the Westpark Tollroad. Tolls are going up during rush hour, but it may be worth it to you.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:52 AM

11 posts, read 24,041 times
My hubby's work is in Houston. He told me there are others around but that is the main one. (Amerigas) so he want's to be around that area. My job is up in the air, I believe he'll have more of a chance obtaining a postion then I so I'm not to worried. but hoping to get into a hospital.
Linda

Old 06-23-2007, 08:16 PM

2 posts, read 6,804 times
Linda,
Bellaire is a good area, still has small town, everyone knows each other, and great location, 20 min to almost anywhere.

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 06-24-2007 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: No need to mention you're sending a PM, just do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston