Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 08:43 AM

295 posts, read 1,168,973 times

Advertisements

I'm surprise 1 nanny can take care of 3 years old, 1 year old and infant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 09:52 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,561,694 times
I don't pay my nanny a thing. I fake an English accent instead. This helped me to find an extremely attractive Jewish lady with a voice that makes one want to poke their eardrums out to work for me for free.

Old 08-29-2010, 03:48 PM

14 posts, read 96,621 times
FYI Federal Laws cover Private Household Employees, and you are required to deduct taxes and pay your employer taxes as well. If they Live-In (room and board, meals provided) you should also consider this as "part" of their total wage and compensation, which is required to be posted with their pay each time (pay stub). You will also be able to take credit for this on your taxes!
Employers are also required to pay overtime rates, unless the employee is a live-in. However, if you have a legal and signed contract overtime can be avoided.

EVERY employer should have a legal contract with their household help or caretaker! Also claim them as such and be diligent in compliance! There is also Workers Comp Laws and Unemployment Insurance that apply to the employer, both of which are there to protect the Employer and Employee. We are all tempted to say the risk is irrelevant to save time and money; until it happens to you! Just think of the situation you would be in if your nanny or housekeeper where to seriously injure themselves "on the Job". You would be liable and your homeowners insurance will not cover them! That cold end up costing way more than the money and time to do the right thing! It could also leave you open to being sued by your employee, and again bring the IRS and several other Government Agencies into your situation! It's just not worth it!

You can Google "Household/Nanny Contracts" for examples or downloads, but run it past an attorney to make sure it will actually be recognized as legal and binding. Also Google "Household/Nanny Payroll and Tax Service", if you don't know how (or don't want to) do it yourself. Some have info on their sites, or will answer questions for free.

While you are at it, Google "Household Domestic Employee Labor Laws" and "Household Domestic Tax Laws" for all the info you need to know regarding compliance. It really is in Your Own Best Interest!

The only "Online" service I would recommend for advertising or seeking a "nanny style" childcare provider is GoNannies, the owner is actually from the Austin area and is very professional. It offers a "inbetween" solution that is safe. Please stay away from craigslist!!! This is your CHILDREN we are talking about!!!!

BTW, No I'm not mean at all. I just believe in protecting children and their safety above all, and obeying the laws!

Old 08-30-2010, 01:02 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,171,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by withpolish View Post
FYI Federal Laws cover Private Household Employees, and you are required to deduct taxes and pay your employer taxes as well. If they Live-In (room and board, meals provided) you should also consider this as "part" of their total wage and compensation, which is required to be posted with their pay each time (pay stub). You will also be able to take credit for this on your taxes!
Employers are also required to pay overtime rates, unless the employee is a live-in. However, if you have a legal and signed contract overtime can be avoided.

EVERY employer should have a legal contract with their household help or caretaker! Also claim them as such and be diligent in compliance! There is also Workers Comp Laws and Unemployment Insurance that apply to the employer, both of which are there to protect the Employer and Employee. We are all tempted to say the risk is irrelevant to save time and money; until it happens to you! Just think of the situation you would be in if your nanny or housekeeper where to seriously injure themselves "on the Job". You would be liable and your homeowners insurance will not cover them! That cold end up costing way more than the money and time to do the right thing! It could also leave you open to being sued by your employee, and again bring the IRS and several other Government Agencies into your situation! It's just not worth it!

You can Google "Household/Nanny Contracts" for examples or downloads, but run it past an attorney to make sure it will actually be recognized as legal and binding. Also Google "Household/Nanny Payroll and Tax Service", if you don't know how (or don't want to) do it yourself. Some have info on their sites, or will answer questions for free.

While you are at it, Google "Household Domestic Employee Labor Laws" and "Household Domestic Tax Laws" for all the info you need to know regarding compliance. It really is in Your Own Best Interest!

The only "Online" service I would recommend for advertising or seeking a "nanny style" childcare provider is GoNannies, the owner is actually from the Austin area and is very professional. It offers a "inbetween" solution that is safe. Please stay away from craigslist!!! This is your CHILDREN we are talking about!!!!

BTW, No I'm not mean at all. I just believe in protecting children and their safety above all, and obeying the laws!
Pffftt......! You do realize that this thread was inquiring about cost, and you've hijacked it with rhetoric and scolding. Shame on you.

Ronnie

Old 08-30-2010, 05:20 PM

410 posts, read 1,494,833 times
WOW......Someone has some issues.......But I'm not going to say any names.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:32 PM

659 posts, read 1,376,286 times
I would never hand over my parenting responsibilities to a nanny. Pre-school? Sure. $1300/ month.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:17 PM

14 posts, read 96,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
Pffftt......! You do realize that this thread was inquiring about cost, and you've hijacked it with rhetoric and scolding. Shame on you.

Ronnie
Perhaps you should read again, as everything I said is DIRECTLY related to the "cost" of hiring/employing a Nanny or childcare provider. So, what part was it you didn't like or agree with, as obviously you felt compelled to post and quote me?

I was just giving free and worthwhile advice to the OP and any others who happen to read this thread. Especially those willing to openly admit to illegally employing a household employee, as they may not have any idea they are doing so. And I was not "scolding" anyone, just emphasizing the important aspects!

Old 09-03-2010, 04:28 PM

799 posts, read 3,692,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2bPinoy View Post
I'm surprise 1 nanny can take care of 3 years old, 1 year old and infant?

I did it as a mom, had 4 year old, a 1 year old and a newborn of my own....and more when I was a licensed daycare provider..scheduling and discipline make this not too difficult..

Old 04-18-2011, 03:19 AM

1 posts, read 3,697 times
There are good nannies on Craigslist, if you would take time to call the nanny, and talk with them. I am one of them, and very qualified, and I would be insulted to talk with some parents who said they were going to pay a Nanny, $450. a week. Would you take that pay, after spending, many long years going to college? I have many degrees and excellent experience, and because I am an older nanny, people think, I am not able to keep up. I have plenty of energy. I am a professional, and I expect to be treated as such, just like you do, when you have spent a lot of time and money, to prepare for a career. Treat your employees and your children with respect. You spend a lot of money on material things, like houses, etc., but don't seem to care who takes care of your children. What is most important to you? Your things, or your children. Take some time to get your priorities straight.

Last edited by Qualified Nanny; 04-18-2011 at 03:35 AM..

Old 04-18-2011, 03:30 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,191,140 times
A nanny? In Texas?! I've been gone too long...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston