Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 07:04 AM

4 posts, read 6,492 times

Advertisements

I'm a young professional originally from the US East Coast. I haven't lived in the US for the past ten years, however. I spent one year in Caracas, Venezuela and then lived downtown Toronto for four years. I currently live in Santiago, Chile.

I have a pretty urban life. I never learned how to drive. I take the metro to work. I walk to the grocery store. My neighborhood is full of bars, restaurants and alternative or "underground" nightclubs that I really have fun at. It's exactly what you would describe as an urban life. I like to fly to Buenos Aires for the weekends.

Anyways- life is pretty good at the moment, but I'm bored with my work. I'm only 27 and am completely single. Free as a bird. I have also started thinking that I should return to the US. Life is good in Chile, but I've been there four years and am starting to get a little bored.

Anyways, I have a potential job opportunity in Houston with a bigtime company. I have no doubt that it would be the right career move. But I'm a little worried about Houston after reading some things on here.

If I move, its going to happen fast. I could have an entire new life in two weeks time!! But I don't even know how to drive....

So- Can I have a "downtown" life in Houston. I would be working in one of the major skyscrapers. Is there housing nearby? Within walking distance? Is it affordable?

Is it safe to live downtown? I've been reading about crime. It's something I've NEVER had to worry about in Toronto or Santiago. How dangerous is Houston? It sounds almost third world from what I've been reading.

Can I get around without a car? Are taxis expensive? Are there grocery stores downtown? Are there restaurants, bars, clubs? What about gyms?

Are there fun people there? Or are they all conservative cowboys? Are there "underground or alternative" people there? Are there a lot of gays? Do people have fun? Or is it all big fat Americans driving their families around in SUVs?

Are there young people there? Are they fun? Or are they all gun-touting Republicans?

As you can see, I know nothing about Houston. I accept the fact that I would probably have to learn to drive and buy a car, but that will be a process and not something I will be able to do right away if I move there on short notice.

I understand that Houston is probably not an ideal city for me, but could I do it for a couple of years for a good career move? Could I bare it? Can I even live downtown? Or am I just going to be miserable?

I was pretty excited before I started reading about Houston!!! Now I'm a little worried. It doesn't sound like a very nice place for a young professional from the East Coast who as spent 10 years out of the US living in big "urban" cities!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 07:23 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
What the media wants you to believe is unfortunately true.

We are all fatass, gun-toting, rodeo cowboy Republicans (on the downlow).

Old 07-22-2010, 07:30 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,493,463 times
You're 27 and single, you should be fearless and be able to handle anything. No, not being sarcastic. If it's a great career move, just do it. Houston is a fab city. Probably will need a car eventually, but hey, if' it's a good job, you can afford to cab it for a while. There are highrises in downtown that would be good if you want to walk. All the surrounding areas like Med center, midtown, etc should have easy bus or metrotrain commute, just look for that criteria when you seek a place to rent. Doesn't your company have some dept to help you figure out all these questions and big companies usu will put you up in temporary housing for a few months. Heck, when i was your age, I just picked up my bags and moved and figured out the rest when I get there, even if it means roughing it out for a few days.. Btw, Houston is a very multicultural place, not the stereotyped cowboy thing you see on that old show DALLAS. I lived in Toronto before and I think Houston is comparable in many ways as long as you live in the city core. I liked Toronto better, but then you'd have to deal with the snow. Btw, toronto is not very safe, statistically...but I understand what you mean, I definitely felt VERY safe when i was living downtown...I think b/c the business/tourist district engulfs 'downtown' so lots of police patrolling. Same goes with Manhatten. But overall, if you're in a good neighborhood in Houston, I feel safe too.
Just do it!

Old 07-22-2010, 07:37 AM

ah thanks. thats a little reassuring!

yeah, in toronto, i lived right at bloor and bay and never even left downtown. i know parts of the city can be dangerous (finch, Scarborough, etc etc).... But there was no need to ever even leave downtown.

if there is enough going on downtown houston, i wouldn't even leave downtown. i want to live within walking distance of my office and a grocery store and be able to go to a gym after work!! the rest, I can figure out. But I guess those would be my three minimum requirements. Some stores and a couple of bars and restaurants would help too?

Is there stuff going on downtown? What about gangs? Are they downtown? I've never had to worry about gangs or getting mugged before. Must admit, it freaks me out a bit. Houston makes be think of Brazil, from what I've been reading here. People there are also afraid to stop at red lights, etc etc etc.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:59 AM

439 posts, read 1,241,890 times
Houston is a great city, but based on your criterion i'm not sure if Houston is exactly for you. You should be able to hack it for two years though. But it isn't the east coast. It certainly isn't Toronto. The culture is a bit different and I think you'll have to learn to accept that reality. Houston doesn't quite have the density as other large cities, so the downtown life is not the same as you might find in say Boston, D.C. and the like. Downtown Houston is a pretty uneventful place. You'd definitely have to leave downtown if you want to do grocery shopping and gym. But you wouldn't have to go far, but it would require driving.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:08 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,302,789 times
You are willing to move to a fireign country and start a new life but you are not willing to learn how to drive? It's not rocket science. Learn to drive and expand your horizons. Also, you said , "Are there young people there? Are they fun? Or are they all gun-touting Republicans?". What makes you so sure that gun-touting Republicans aren't fun people? Have you met a lot of them down there in Chile?

Old 07-22-2010, 08:14 AM

yes, obviously i would learn how to drive. but like i said, its going to be a process. if i go, it will be fast. and i will show up there with all my stuff unable to drive. ill have to find a place to live and then ill start the new job. the new job will be my number 1 priority, so im not sure how long it will take me to learn how to drive and get a car.

so ill be stuck without a car for a bit... maybe i shouldn't live in downtown? it seems a little weird that there isn't even a grocery store or gym downtown.

where is there a nice area close to restaurants, gyms and grocery stores? but with an easy, car-free commute to the downtown skyscrapers?

basically, i want to live as free of the car as possible...

its weird, but i think moving to texas will be far more "foreign" and "exotic" than moving to chile was!!!!!

Old 07-22-2010, 09:33 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,153,335 times
I have one friend who doesn't have a car and has lived in Midtown for 2 years, and other who lived downtown for 2 years without a car. It's inconvenient, but it definitely doable. I lived downtown for 5+ years so you can trust what I am telling you.

There isn't as much downtown as far as bars and restaurants go as Midtown does. I enjoyed living downtown, but it seems you would like it better in Midtown. You still wouldn't need a car because you could take the light rail or bus.

They are begining to open small grocery stores all around downtown, and there is a bigger grocery store in Midtown. There is a gym both in downtown and Midtown, but the Midtown one is much nicer and bigger.

I felt safer downtown than anywhere else in the city. There are homeless walking around, but they are harmless. There are a lot of young people in Midtown and you will enjoy the people - all laid back and very friendly. You will also be just a $10 can ride to Washington Ave, which is the hot spot now. You would love the Montrose area as far as the people go as well (very diverse), and Montrose is just a mile or two from Midtown.

To sum it up, out of towners enjoy the vibe here. You may not like it at first, but the city just sucks you in after a while and you won't leave. Some of the best and friendly people in the country in my opinion.

Last edited by Mr. Krinkle; 07-22-2010 at 10:48 AM..

Old 07-22-2010, 09:38 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,852,270 times
Although I don't live downtown, I do work here. There is indeed a gym down here as but a single element of a full service facility called the Downtown Club.
The Downtown Club at Houston Center TX | Houston Business & Sport Club - Texas. There are also tons of places to eat and a first class theater district. In the actual downtown area there a not any grocery stores but there is a Randalls on Louisiana in Midtown which is just on the fringe of the downtown area.

2225 Louisiana St
Houston, TX 77002
Store Phone: (713) 331-1042
Store Hours: 6 AM - 1 AM
Pharmacy Phone: (713)331-1053
Pharmacy Hours: Mon-Fri 9:00AM-9:00PM
Sat 9:00AM-7:00PM
Sun 10:00AM-5:00PM

Something else you might consider is actually looking in Midtown and then you can ride the Metro train into downtown for anything you need and you would be in close proximity to the Houston Medical Center. There is no getting around the fact that to have any real quality of life you will need to have a car and drive but in the short term you could just move in, get to work, and have some night life until the driving thing is resolved.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:41 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,153,335 times
Oh, and I'm not saying there isn't anything to do downtown, because there is. Just google downtown bars and restaurants, and do the same for Midtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: