Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 09:49 PM

38 posts, read 33,185 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

We're moving to Riverstone next year, from Telfair. The lack of diversity in this area really bothers me, but we're conveniently located to our work, and the community is nice. That being said, I really don't want my kids in a school that is 80% Indian. Calm down, I'm Indian, born and raised here. I don't share the 'typical' Indian values of pushing my kids to the max. I want them to be well-rounded. We're zoned to Commonwealth, although it's full, since my oldest will be starting kinder they'll accept her.

I would never send my kids to Cornerstone or Anne Sullivan, simply due to the lack of diversity. That being said, is Commonwealth or Settlers Way any better?

Thoughts on Honor Roll?? Yes I'd rather pay that much for year to get some diversity and out of the insanely intense academic bubble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 07:02 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,661,819 times
I believe Settler’s Way is better.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:20 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,769,099 times
We toured Honor Roll several years back when we lived in Riverstone. Was mostly Indian and viewing the class photos it looked as if our son could be the only white kid in his class if enrolled the next year. Decided that wasn't what we wanted and he stayed in Catholic school in Houston.
This was probably six years ago so it very well could have zero relevance any longer. You can tour the school and see what you think.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:00 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,018,139 times
Honor Roll is full of ex-pat kids (most of whom are also Indian). It's going to be similar demographically to Sullivan and Cornerstone with the same type of tiger moms.

I have a niece at Commonwealth. She likes it there although her class is also heavily South Asian.

Old 05-15-2019, 12:07 PM

21 posts, read 23,516 times
I live in riverstone and send both my kids to THRS. They are in elementary school. It is a fantastic school imo and much more diverse than ASE or commonwealth. Sure, there are plenty of desi kids but plenty of others as well. The current head of school is fantastic. The kids are well behaved and smart at THRS. Parents are typically quite involved as you might expect when we all pay high fbisd property taxes and still send our kids to THRS. It is not an easy school, however, and they do challenge the kids academically. Emphasis is put on develping well rounded kids however with music, sports, etc all also emphasized. The kids that stay until 8th typically place into the best private and public high schools around. As long as the current head of school stays in place, so will our kids, he is that good.

Old 05-15-2019, 12:28 PM

226 posts, read 310,465 times
Are you firm/have you already bought in Riverstone? I went to schooldigger.com and looked at statistics for the other older schools in First Colony besides Settlers Way (Austin Parkway, Colony Bend, Highlands). They all look about as diverse as SWE, if not slightly more so. The trade-off would be older and probably smaller homes. Just throwing that out there

Old 05-15-2019, 01:07 PM

64 posts, read 58,536 times
Highlands pulls from Sugar Lakes, Sugarwood, and Venetian Estates so they have some massive homes over there. A lot are completely remodeled as well so house size wouldn't be an issue. Colony Bend also pulls from part of Sweetwater. The only issue is probably no home was built in those areas past 2000 so just depends if you prefer newer homes or not. If the OP doesn't mind older remodels might be some good places to look.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:21 PM

We've already bought and now I'm so stressed out about the schools. I wish I had looked into schools earlier, I just kept hearing they were great.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:29 PM

My daughter can actually go to either of those, Settler's Way, Commonwealth, or we can pay for THRS. The school stats on Settlers way don't seem as high on great schools.com

Swopoe...in what way do you think Settler's Way is better? Diversity only?

Old 05-15-2019, 11:45 PM

79 posts, read 89,506 times
We toured THRS last year, but it was mostly Indian. Tour the school first and see what you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston