Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 02:02 PM

404 posts, read 1,026,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05chevy View Post
I'm not understanding why you didn't get it at 16. Did they raise the age in which you can get your license now?

When I was in school (28 or so years ago) we had drivers ed right there in school. I think it started when you reached 15. At 16, after completing your drivers ed, you were able to take the written and driving portion of the test at the local DPS. If you passed both tests, you were on the road by 16 years of age. Different times, I guess.
Unfortunately, in those 28 years most districts have eliminated driver's ed at school. I've never heard of one school that offers this these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 02:23 PM

226 posts, read 558,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just4ivaylo View Post
Unfortunately, in those 28 years most districts have eliminated driver's ed at school. I've never heard of one school that offers this these days.
Yea, probably not the best of decisions. *scratch head*

Old 07-25-2010, 02:49 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,401,995 times
They still teach driver's ed in high schools in Arkansas. But only on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. The sex ed class uses the car on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:54 PM

226 posts, read 558,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
they still teach driver's ed in high schools in arkansas. But only on mondays, wednesdays and fridays. The sex ed class uses the car on tuesdays and thursdays.
lol

Old 07-25-2010, 09:31 PM

4,874 posts, read 10,009,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Before making your argument; look up statistics proving adults are more likely to text while driving more than teenagers. It's already proven. You're all just wanting to place the blame on someone else when in reality adults are just as much of a threat on the road as young people.
Well, yes, the video was originally aimed at young people, but... everyone should see the video.

The Highway Safety Research Center of the University of North Carolina states why younger drivers generally have higher risks than other drivers: http://www.hsrc.unc.edu/safety_info/...eater_risk.cfm

BTW what source says that adults are more likely to text while driving than youth?

Old 07-25-2010, 10:12 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,090,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Well, yes, the video was originally aimed at young people, but... everyone should see the video.

The Highway Safety Research Center of the University of North Carolina states why younger drivers generally have higher risks than other drivers: HSRC : Why are young drivers at a greater risk?

BTW what source says that adults are more likely to text while driving than youth?
Vicman - I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Some interesting stats here:

Car Accident Cell Phone Statistics & Driver Text Message Facts

I did read something yesterday that seemed to suggest that the % of adult texting, particularly those with higher-education is quite high (65%?). I am trying to find that link to post.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:26 PM

61,109 posts, read 85,909,223 times
More stats here:
State Cell Phone Use and Texting While Driving Laws
http://www.edgarsnyder.com/car-accid...tatistics.html

Old 07-25-2010, 10:46 PM

61,109 posts, read 85,909,223 times
Parents can download a system called "Textecution". It's designed to disable a phone's Internet and texting functions when a person is traveling at 10 miles an hour or more.
Buy Textecution, Purchase Textecution, Textecution on Sale Now

Wireless Zone is now offering its customers a free application called Textecution which locks a phones texting capabilities when the user is behind the wheel. The application is targeted towards parents who are concerned about their teen's texting while driving habits. It leverages GPS to detect if you are traveling more than 10mph and then it disables texting, as well as email and web browsing.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:25 AM

912 posts, read 2,545,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
It leverages GPS to detect if you are traveling more than 10mph and then it disables texting, as well as email and web browsing.
This application should be installed on all phones and disable the handset's speaker and microphone leaving only bluetooth capabilities for calls.

The amount of mouth breathing window lickers I see causing near crashes because they seem to be unable to drive without using a phone never ceases to amaze me.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:27 AM

249 posts, read 558,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Older people are the worst drivers because their health is deteriorating. Younger people are much more healthier and well aware.

My grandpa use to take me to school; the most scariest times of my life.
Sure he was taking you to school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston