Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 02:33 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,548,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
I wish Houston didn't look like it could be in Mexico!
Not really sure what you're talking about, but I like when people make comments like "it looks like Mexico City" which are intended as negative, when they have no idea what is actually in Mexico City. If they did, they'd realize that comparing Houston to Mexico City is a compliment Houston might not even deserve.

Our skyline's bigger and perhaps better, but in terms of historical architecture Houston doesn't come close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 07:20 AM

659 posts, read 1,376,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Not really sure what you're talking about, but I like when people make comments like "it looks like Mexico City" which are intended as negative, when they have no idea what is actually in Mexico City. If they did, they'd realize that comparing Houston to Mexico City is a compliment Houston might not even deserve.

Our skyline's bigger and perhaps better, but in terms of historical architecture Houston doesn't come close.
They've obviously never been to Mexico City! I wish some of Houston looked like the nicer parts of DF. Not so much the other parts, though... Talk about contrasts!

Old 11-01-2010, 03:35 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,034,220 times
Buildings Built Above 12+ Stories From 1999-2009:
New York City-517
Chicago- 203
Miami-135
Houston-74
Atlanta-73
Las Vegas-68
San Francisco-49
Los Angeles-27

I hate architecturally dull cities, cities that have no sensation when you drive through them, cities that have no fingerprint identity to claim their own in terms of skyline.

Anyways here's a more updated group of pictures.

Downtown Houston:

http://www.baldheretic.com/pics/houston/sabinehdr.jpg (broken link)

Uptown Houston:

Greenway Plaza:

Texas Medical Center:

And I don't want to include this just yet but it seems to be the corridor for hot development in Houston. With Regent Square, and two new 28 Story Towers, and other buildings scoped out, Neartown is going to change its look sooner than later on. Neartown isn't a skyline in the sense of it, but its emerging to become one and will probably be one by the end of the decade.

Neartown:

Old 11-01-2010, 08:58 AM

81 posts, read 177,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

Continental lost its blue logo at the top & is a boring bright white now.
Has anyone else noticed that shortly after the merger with United closed that they stopped turning on the white lights at the top of the Continental Airlines building at night? The blue looked awesome but now that the white is gone it looks even more drab.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:16 AM

571 posts, read 1,281,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam4884 View Post
Has anyone else noticed that shortly after the merger with United closed that they stopped turning on the white lights at the top of the Continental Airlines building at night? The blue looked awesome but now that the white is gone it looks even more drab.
Yeah. I noticed that this weekend. How depressing....

Old 11-01-2010, 11:39 AM

81 posts, read 177,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo5110 View Post
Yeah. I noticed that this weekend. How depressing....
I was driving in from Dallas last night and usually when I come from around the beltway on I-45 I can at least spot the skyline because of the white lights on top of the Continental Building - this time it wasn't until I came under 610 that I was able to finally see the skyline, and barely at that.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:04 PM

7 posts, read 15,400 times
dALLAS SKYLINE IS BETER

Old 11-01-2010, 04:38 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,269,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOODRICH214 View Post
dALLAS SKYLINE IS BETER
better lit, yeah!

Old 11-02-2010, 06:28 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,769,052 times
Love the pictures. I don't see how Houston looks like Mexico. Anyway, I feel like Houston needs more skyscrapers with some variety in architecture.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:05 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,303,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston has 5 towers over 500' located outside of downtown.

1. Williams Tower - 901 ft.
2. San Felipe - 650 ft.
3. American General - 590 ft.
4. Marathon Oil Tower - 555 ft.
5. The Huntingdon - 501 ft.
Houston has the problem that it is between two major Class B airports. The floor of the airspace for those two areports over most of central Houston, is 2000 feet-- meaning no plane can fly above 2000' unless its in communication with the controlling airport's tower and has their permission (something hard to get from a Class B with their busy workload). You don't want too many tall buildings in between those airports. It's bad enough we have some cell phone towers going up to 700'.
As you can see from the attached photo, there is only a narrow corridor East-West between the two airports. The last thing we need is more tall buildings there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Buildings Built Above 12+ Stories From 1999-2009:
New York City-517
Chicago- 203
Miami-135
Houston-74
Atlanta-73
Las Vegas-68
San Francisco-49
Los Angeles-27

I hate architecturally dull cities, cities that have no sensation when you drive through them, cities that have no fingerprint identity to claim their own in terms of skyline.
Most of those buildings built in Miami are condos and they are empty. That's not something any city should be proud of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston