Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 11:20 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,694,805 times

Advertisements

There seems to be a sizeable number of professional Indo-Caribbean people in this area from Trinidad. Most of them had a decent amount of money to begin with. Or, it's just been my luck running into them.

Also see Kemah Pan Jam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 11:45 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,915,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajet View Post
Attention Gen Y Singles and recent College Grads:

Like most Sun Belt/Bible Belt cities including it's lame rival Dallas, Houston had a huge surge of New Orleans refugees in September of 2005, after Hurricane Katrina. It is been stated a million times that the crime rate (already among the highest in the country) escalated after receiving many of these evacuees. Houston is an urban hell to live in because it has no zoning regulations whatsoever, thanks to its voters. Not suprisingly, it has the third-worst air pollution in the country after L.A. & Pittsburgh. For a city of such large size, Houston has a dreadful almost non existent public transportation system and everybody drives everywhere, Suburban sprawl, Excessive heat and humidity, dangerous drivers texting while driving 85+ with their boats attached to their trailers, The roads are overused, overcrowded, underfunded and most , minus the I10 and 610 loop are in need of major repair. Houston has one of the youngest populations in the nation, partly due to an influx of immigrants (both legal and illegal) into Texas, one of the nations highest high school drop-out rates, high crime & top four in the U.S. for teenage pregnancies, most uninsured residents along with children, and worst overall credit scores in the U.S. along with Dallas. Houston also has the one of the highest obesity rates in the country. It also has the third-largest Hispanic and third-largest Mexican population in the United States. An estimated 400,000 + and growing illegal immigrants reside in Houston - Get ready for an influx of new residents coming in from AZ.

Houston doesn't have a profile or established credibility like many East & West Coast cities, Houston just feels too big, too gritty and disconnected of a city outside the 610 Loop - really a true urban and suburban nightmare to live. It’s a decent place to visit for the weekend, dine out & catch a pro game or conduct business, but you don’t want to live in Houston......unless maybe you have to = see oil energy & medical sectors. or you were already born and raised here.

Not the worst place to live - but there are much much better!

List of best Texas Cities = See Austin
I don't understand the point of your post. I live in the 610 Loop and find it quite enjoyable. Are you implying that living with people of Hispanic or Mexican descent is bad?

Old 07-30-2010, 12:04 PM

316 posts, read 784,324 times
Quote:
Oildog - I live in the 610 Loop and find it quite enjoyable
From several of your posts, I thought you live in Oklahoma

Quote:
Are you implying that living with people of Hispanic or Mexican descent is bad?
......? Wow? No, I am from California - The Hispanic population is much larger there than in Houston, and is much more established and integrated into the entire culture. The point is regarding the growing situation with illegal immigration- and not that ANY person of Latin decent is as you mentioned... bad?

Old 07-30-2010, 12:07 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
I didn't know a lot Carribbean people stayed in Houston.
yeppers. Lots of eastern Caribbean Islanders. Lots of Trini's, Dominicans, Bajans, Lucians, Grenadians, etc. There also a sizeable Jamaican pop

Old 07-30-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:

......? Wow? No, I am from California - The Hispanic population is much larger there than in Houston, and is much more established and integrated into the entire culture. The point is regarding the growing situation with illegal immigration- and not that ANY person of Latin decent is as you mentioned... bad?
are you comparing Houston to all of Cali? Cause only LA has more hispanics than Houston. Poor comparison dude

Old 07-30-2010, 12:26 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,549,686 times
Quote:
The Hispanic population is much larger there than in Houston
It is? How's this?

This should be good.

Quote:
No, he just has "Houston, TX" as his location just for the bloody hell of it.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:46 PM

316 posts, read 784,324 times
Quote:
Poor comparison dude
...really that's it, nothing else?

The Hispanic population in Ca is 36.6% of 38.5 million - roughly 14 million - Texas Hispanic population is 36.4% roughly 9 million of it's 25 million -

Los Angeles, Hispanic population 54.5%
Houston - Harris County - 38%

Old 07-30-2010, 12:50 PM

404 posts, read 1,244,908 times
Off topic I know but Feufoma is right. What a sad sack.

From this pretentious statement:

So David ---It's not your 3.5% property taxes on your 350k home or the nasty oppressive humidity you have to deal with for the next 5 1/2 months, it's the fact that we Californians are a very spoiled bunch and are truly used to the very best of everything...just like transplants who moved here from NYC, NoVA and Connecticut. My advice to you David is to rent - yes David rent... Doctors do it, Attorneys, Professors - Business Executives & yes you David should do it as well - Start saving now - 30% of your earnings per month - YES DAVID 30% ---It's all about putting it in the BANK... - And in 18 monthes you will be able to come back to the Golden State and kiss the ground as you cross the AZ border - until then you will buy your jeans off the rack, Shop at HEB...not Whole Foods, eat your dinners at Chili's and Chik Filet not Houstons or Del Friscos', Cancel your NFL Network & HBO - Drown your sorrows at the Gym not the Godiva counter...By the time you return to CA David you will thank me, everything including the Golden state will be back to where was it was like when you left it!!.....We will be the ones enjoying Brunch with our wives at Gladstones for Fish in Malibu having a cold one on that 75 degree June afternoon!!!

To this:

I'll assume a standard WB. Not a Jr. I'll also assume any extras that normally add money will still cost you--cheese, extra meat or whatever. Plus I'm sure it doesn't include a drink or fries or any combo.

Just a burger. What A Burger!

[mod edit - personal attack]

If all I did with my time was look up links to refute other links and I believed the links I posted, I’d certainly get outta Dodge ( if I could afford to, that is.) Can you afford to, Alphajet, or are you just a pretender. Doesn’t sound like you do anything here at all, just sit around and gripe, gripe, gripe.

Gets pretty tiresome and offensive with a few of the naysayers around here telling Texans that we don’t travel (many world travelers here, we just don’t sit around bragging about it), that there’s nothing to do here, we’re all a bunch of yokels, that our city is boring, etc., etc…what a crappy attitude…don’t go away mad, just go away. The forums for every city are full of people like you.

Last edited by Oildog; 07-30-2010 at 02:30 PM..

Old 07-30-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
...really that's it, nothing else?

The Hispanic population in Ca is 36.6% of 38.5 million - roughly 14 million - Texas Hispanic population is 36.4% roughly 9 million of it's 25 million -

Los Angeles, Hispanic population 54.5%
Houston - Harris County - 38%
You were comparing Houston to California. That is a poor comparison. And look at my post, I already said that LA has more Hispanics. That is just redundant comparing them again.

You said you live in california and that it had way more hispanics, but by your own stats it seems the percentage is higher in houston than California.
Still how can you compare a city to the most populous sttae in the country?

Old 07-30-2010, 12:59 PM

no clue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston