Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2010, 08:49 PM

225 posts, read 597,414 times

Advertisements

I'm curious about something and this is the only place I can think to ask it.

I go to the EA Smith YMCA, in Webster on Hwy 3, quite often. I've noticed that a sizable number of the regulars there are Muslim (women in head scarves is the main giveaway).

I think it's great, so please don't misunderstand. I'm just curious about the demographics behind it? Is there a large Muslim community in Clear Lake? Or does the Y just attract Muslims for some reason?

As Seinfeld would say, I don't think we're supposed to be talking about this ... but I'm asking anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 08:56 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
They're probably going in and out of this, which is right near the Y

ASIA Center

Old 07-30-2010, 05:59 AM

225 posts, read 597,414 times
Good find!

+1 to you, good sir.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,510 times
I am not so sure I would call the Muslim presence huge. But I think it's great that you asked. For may people, such an observation could be a reason not to move there. Tstone, I'm not sure what the significance of those pictures is. But, the people who attend the Asia center and who are represented in those photos are not necessarily the same ones with wives and daughters and sisters attending the Y -- though they could be. The people you see in those your photos are attending a graduation for children who have memorized the entire Qu'ran. Think... Bar Mitzvah with recitation of the ALL of the books!

To answer your question Phaedra_P: In America, Muslims are disproportionately represented in medical, technical, and higher education fields. You have NASA there, a huge medical complex and a university. So those women you see, headscarf and all, are probably doctors, engineers, professors or the wives and daughters of such professionals.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Rootseeker; 12-04-2010 at 09:08 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: