Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 08:58 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,437,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EleciaF View Post
Bleach only whitens mold/mildew. If you really want to get rid of it use white vnegar, that kills it. If you then need the stain removed use Tilex mold/mildew remover. HTH!

Elecia ~Moving from Rhode Island to Houston before Thanksgiving
Actually, bleach kills mildew. Tilex is basically diluted bleach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 06:21 AM

49 posts, read 114,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermac34 View Post
Actually, bleach kills mildew. Tilex is basically diluted bleach.
I have read SO many places that bleach doesn't kill mold. we think it does because it bleaches it out so we can't see it anymore, but notice very shortly it "comes back". Read this article all about it:

BLEACH DOES NOT KILL MOLD!

Old 08-05-2010, 05:15 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,605,521 times
Put the bleach in a spray bottle but make sure you write on the bottle what it is

Old 08-05-2010, 05:26 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
When I had mold/mildew on my garage overhang a few years ago, I got some stuff called JOBOX to spray on it. WOnder if that would work in the shower.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:31 PM

61,717 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
When I had mold/mildew on my garage overhang a few years ago, I got some stuff called JOBOX to spray on it. WOnder if that would work in the shower.
How do you spray that??

Old 08-05-2010, 05:37 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,437,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EleciaF View Post
I have read SO many places that bleach doesn't kill mold. we think it does because it bleaches it out so we can't see it anymore, but notice very shortly it "comes back". Read this article all about it:

BLEACH DOES NOT KILL MOLD!
That is because the national organization of scammers want to sell you expensive mold remidiation, when in fact super inexpensive bleach/water mixture does the job just fine.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:50 PM

460 posts, read 2,427,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
You didn't buy a JOBOX, but JOMAX, from zinsser, same people who make other paint products. Get it at most any box store in the paint dept. I use it regularly and have a gallon jug in the garage. It's a mold/mildew killer that's activated/enhanced by bleach. GREAT STUFF. I highly recommend it if you're pressure washing exterior surfaces. It's not any more caustic than bleach, so YES, using a JOMAX solution in the shower is a good idea.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:53 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Thats it...Jomax...I should have googled the product before posting. Too much time in industrial sites, leaves me seeing Jobox pretty often.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:05 PM

460 posts, read 2,427,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermac34 View Post
That is because the national organization of scammers want to sell you expensive mold remidiation, when in fact super inexpensive bleach/water mixture does the job just fine.
Exactly right Supermac34. Never believe an article refuting basic chemistry and biology published by an organization that stands to profit from your ignorance.

I find it amazing how many people were not paying attention in middle and high school, or who neglected to take basic science classes.

One problem people have with showers is that they don't seal the floor and let water saturate the pan over the years. Mold/mildew starts to grow and it's almost impossible to eradicate it completely. While you can treat the surface, it's hard to let the bleach soak into the grout like the water does. In the new home we just built, I purposed to not let this happen and we wipe down the all shower surfaces until they're dry after each shower. Then we also make sure air circulates in the shower to dry out any remaining moisture. I also wipe down all joints with a 50% bleach solution once a month (a recommendation from a bathroom remodeling pro).

True story: a house I recently sold was in the older neighborhood of Meyerland. Two years ago the shower pan (original, going on 40+ years) needed replacing due to a slow drip leak in the shower pipes. The water had saturated not only the concrete pan, but through the lead liner and into the slab. The only reason I did NOT have a black mold problem is because for some time I had been (literally) saturating the shower floor with bleach before each shower (I was using over a gallon a week). Fumes were pretty intense, but I was keeping the mildew under control. Over time I must have used enough bleach that it was able to seep down into the slab and keep the black mold from developing. The slab was so damp that after I busted out the concrete pan and lead liner, it took (literally) two weeks to dry, with fans running 24x7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston