Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2010, 01:56 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Houston won't be annexing any residential areas, that's for sure. Maybe some commercial areas (for tax dollars), but even then, Houston released some of its ETJ, so that the City of Katy could annex the Katy Mills Mall area. And actually, Houston has already annexed the commercial areas until Fry Road.
I don't know about. Houston has not annexed any residential areas resently but I would never say never. That area seems too attractive to me.

Heck, I wish Houston could just consolidate with Harris, and be done with it. I would turn all the unoccupied territory into park/protected land to stop the creation of more burbs. Harris is still fairly empty:

It would be nice if the new developments would take place in the already developed areas. I would hate to see harris turn into this mess:

Last edited by HtownLove; 11-10-2010 at 02:14 PM..

Old 11-10-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Why do you feel that way? Just saying. I would love to have everything I need in the suburbs and just work and have fun in the city.
Hmmm, I thought I had already answered this.

I feel the same way you do. i would rather my burbs to have the shopping, the large supermarkets, the malls etc, the theme parks, but I would rather the business and the ball parks to be in the central city. The burbs in North Texas has things too spread out. sports venues hear and there, museums everywhere, its just too unorganized

Old 11-10-2010, 03:18 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
I misunderstood! Anyway, I didn't know Harris County was empty like that. 4 million in a county tells me sprawl and hardly any more emptiness. Harris County can be larger than Cook County in population in the future.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:36 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Based on the picture of Harris and Dallas counties, what mess are you referring to? The number of cities in the county?

Old 11-10-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Based on the picture of Harris and Dallas counties, what mess are you referring to? The number of cities in the county?
not so much the number but the land locked nature.

Like I said I would rather that Houston takes over the rest of Harris and set aside all the undeveloped land as parts and force knew dwellings in the core. If Not Houston will be feet away from Hawaii before we know it.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
I misunderstood! Anyway, I didn't know Harris County was empty like that. 4 million in a county tells me sprawl and hardly any more emptiness. Harris County can be larger than Cook County in population in the future.
no when I said I thought I had answered this I don't mean you didn't understand, I meant that the post I typed out disappeared. I could have sworn that I responded.

yeah Harris has lots of potential, but Fort bend and Brazoria are growing quickly too. If you think Harris is empty you should see Brazoria.

Maricopa county is right on Harris's tail though. But Maricopa has such a huge catchment area (basically the entire phoenix metro). The density is only about 390 people per sq mile while that of Harris is about 2300 per square mile (almost as dense as LA county)

Harris is currently the 3rd largest in the US,

Cook is about one million people more populated

Old 11-10-2010, 04:57 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I don't know about. Houston has not annexed any residential areas resently but I would never say never. That area seems too attractive to me.

Heck, I wish Houston could just consolidate with Harris, and be done with it. I would turn all the unoccupied territory into park/protected land to stop the creation of more burbs. Harris is still fairly empty:

It would be nice if the new developments would take place in the already developed areas. I would hate to see harris turn into this mess:
Nah, never. The Houston City Council doesn't want more Republican voters in the city. Plus, the City of Houston would have to pay more money to provide services to those residential areas. Much easier to annex only the commercial areas and collect the tax dollars from them. And consolidate with Harris County? Oh, heck no. Houston is in no position to be landlocked. Its ETJ already covers most of Harris County, so there is no danger of it being hemmed in like Dallas is.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Nah, never. The Houston City Council doesn't want more Republican voters in the city. Plus, the City of Houston would have to pay more money to provide services to those residential areas. Much easier to annex only the commercial areas and collect the tax dollars from them. And consolidate with Harris County? Oh, heck no. Houston is in no position to be landlocked. Its ETJ already covers most of Harris County, so there is no danger of it being hemmed in like Dallas is.
Never say never.

also Houston ETJ doesn't cover most of Harris, it covers all of it and then some of the surrounding counties

Old 11-10-2010, 05:09 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Never say never.

also Houston ETJ doesn't cover most of Harris, it covers all of it and then some of the surrounding counties
I said most because there are other cities in Harris County. Let me ask you, what would Houston gain from annexing more people? It's city council would turn Republican (they don't want that) and then the city would have to provide city services to a lot more land. Just doesn't seem feasible in my opinion. It's why Houston has been releasing ETJ little by little. They aren't going to annex much anymore.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:13 PM

Wow, I just realized that Prairie View is in Houston's ETJ.
also noticed that the southern part of houston is almost completely hemmed in my Stafford, Missouri ciy, pearland and Friendswood, and the eastern side is almost hemmed in by Seabrook, Pasadena, Galena Park, and Jacinto City.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston