Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2011, 01:46 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
I would love to see Atlanta Station and Regent Square typed developments as infill developments. These projects will make Houston more urban and less car dependent (a little counts).
no it won't.

people like their cars here. there is no give in these parts.

people are just not as concerned with walking as city data people would like you to believe.

people love the freedom of cars

what they don't like is congestion

Old 01-12-2011, 01:49 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Ok. I see. I know developments like these won't make a total big difference in reducing the dependence on cars, but just to have many urban developments across the city will not only give Houston bragging rights for becoming more urban, but they will help beautify the city as a whole. Wouldn't you agree?

Old 01-12-2011, 01:52 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,603,301 times
Quote:
I would love to see Atlanta Station and Regent Square typed developments as infill developments. These projects will make Houston more urban and less car dependent (a little counts).
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
no it won't.

people are just not as concerned with walking as city data people would like you to believe.

You hit that nail on the head, HtownLove. The automobile is king in these parts. Houston will continue to grow and get even more spread out. Hopefully the city will just start annexing areas to fill in the city. Like that Cinco Ranch zip code you spokeabout earlier.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:22 PM

Also, as the city grows, I do think it will continue to densify in the core areas.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberAzeneth View Post
Also, as the city grows, I do think it will continue to densify in the core areas.
yeah, houston will have dense pockets, but not uniform density. that is why you will still need a car.

Greater Houston is the size of New Jersey. Car culture is just ingrained in the system

Old 01-12-2011, 02:30 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
no it won't.

I think that's a huge misconception. People don't want to walk because the city of Houston really isn't designed for walking. Small sidewalks, wide streets and intersections and more. I've heard many people complain about the lack of public transit and there is very much a demand for it in Houston; it's just the city needs to get its act together.

Houston needs to understand what the term urban is and learn how to create a urban environment.

This is not urban:
houston,tx - Google Maps

This is not urban:
houston,tx - Google Maps

This is urban;
houston,tx - Google Maps

This is urban:
houston,tx - Google Maps

Old 01-12-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I think that's a huge misconception. People don't want to walk because the city of Houston really isn't designed for walking. Small sidewalks, wide streets and intersections and more. I've heard many people complain about the lack of public transit and there is very much a demand for it in Houston; it's just the city needs to get its act together.

Houston needs to understand what the term urban is and learn how to create a urban environment.
Houston doesn't need to understand jack squat. They are doing quite well already.

the only people complaining about lack of transit are poor people and people from the NE

Old 01-12-2011, 02:41 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
A lot of you were saying how East Houston isn't as developed. However, I think this area should begin Houston's urban development.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
A lot of you were saying how East Houston isn't as developed. However, I think this area should begin Houston's urban development.
there are plans on the way.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:
there are plans on the way.

What developments/plans Are you referring about HtownLove? Keep me posted please. Is it near Summerwood or Duessen Park?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston