U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 08:14 AM

377 posts, read 1,277,070 times

Advertisements

The key is to establish a good relationship with the building manager..thats the guy who oversees building of your specific house. My mgr did some extra things for me just by becoming friends..Even if you notice something thats not perfect while your house is being built, wait for 2-3 days before dragging your manager to it. Almost always, the sub-contractor worker is the culprit there and your building manager would find and fix it before you tell him about it.. when you do tell him, be nice and understanding with him..and in a matter of weeks, you win his confidence.

My experience is, even though the multi billion Builder (the company) is looking for any opportunity to rip-you off, the building manager is just another person like you who would be happy to find understanding and non-yelling customers. Even after you close your house, a nice building manager can make your life easy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
When I was having my last house built I asked t\e building manager about it. He basically told me I wasn't really supposed to, but he wasn't going to stop me from pre-wiring some speaker cables. Maybe you can talk to your building manager and see if he'll let it slide.

As for wireless, I can see a few reasons to avoid it. If you are a gamer you may have some latency issues. Also if you work from home sometimes wireless connections can be a bit flaky with VPN, whenever I go wireless with my laptop I lose the wireless connection every once in a while. But when my laptop is in my docking station (which is hard wired), I never lose my VPN connection.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 09:07 AM

75 posts, read 127,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I have an N network, I don't see any difference, but people's mileage may vary.
Are you saying wireless is equal to wired??

Old 08-06-2010, 10:13 AM

5,055 posts, read 5,827,729 times
Quote:
FYI, those rules about perfoming your own work are about 1% liability, and 99% to protect union jobs.
Incorrect. It's partially about liability, and also about builders selling add-ons themselves.

Liability is an issue. If you wire something yourself and make a mistake (say, drill a small hole in a water pipe), who's at fault when the leak shows up 3 months later?

Add-ons: Builders make money charging you $1000 for $150 of wiring, so they would rather sell it to you than have you do it yourself.

Quote:
I have an N network, I don't see any difference, but people's mileage may vary.
Not all devices are N. It really depends on the device and what you are pushing thru it.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:43 PM

5,055 posts, read 5,827,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheretogo View Post
The key is to establish a good relationship with the building manager..thats the guy who oversees building of your specific house. <snip>
REALLY good advice.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:20 PM

32 posts, read 68,345 times
Quote:
My experience is, even though the multi billion Builder (the company) is looking for any opportunity to rip-you off, the building manager is just another person like you who would be happy to find understanding and non-yelling customers. Even after you close your house, a nice building manager can make your life easy..
Maybe I can go at it from this angle. I remember when I first met him, he told me about the "survey" I would get at the end of the process. He said if for any reason I couldn't give him 5 stars, to let him know. Maybe if I ask him to let the cable installation slide, I'll be very satisfied and happy to give him the high marks.

Last edited by meilton; 08-06-2010 at 02:42 PM..

Old 08-06-2010, 02:52 PM

56 posts, read 145,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradizecityz View Post
Are you saying wireless is equal to wired??
Unless you are streaming video over your home network, or you have Fiber-to-the-home, the 54 mbps that your wireless can push will be sufficient. Most cable high-speed internet won't be faster than that. And that's at 802.11g speeds.

Last edited by donhalljobs; 08-06-2010 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: Add info.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:21 PM

44 posts, read 175,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
When I was having my last house built I asked the building manager about it. He basically told me I wasn't really supposed to, but he wasn't going to stop me from pre-wiring some speaker cables. Maybe you can talk to your building manager and see if he'll let it slide.
Quote:
The key is to establish a good relationship with the building manager..thats the guy who oversees building of your specific house. My mgr did some extra things for me just by becoming friends.
I had the same thing apply. I wanted to run speaker wire in the living room. The builder had the option, but it was around $500. The wife decided she wanted XYZ instead and I knew I could do the work and parts for ~$100.

When I asked the project manager he said no and they would have to pull the parts out if they saw them. I was going to do it anyway, but decided to ask again a couple weeks later. He paused for a moment, then said "sorry, but we can't have clients add their own XYZ parts because they could put a lien on the house if they didn't close on it." I told him that the cost of the parts wasnt worth my time putting a lien on the house. He said OK and would look the other way.

I could imagine that anything major or personal contractors would be a definite NO. But less than a couple hundred bucks and a DIY situation may be feasible to discuss with the PM.

Also, they mistakenly put a can light where there should have been a drop box for a hanging light in the dining room. They threw the can out by the garbage. I asked if they could put the can light over the master tub as it was slated for the dump anyway. He said sure, the electricians were going to be there the next day anyway box and had it installed. My cost = FREE and I use it every morning.

Im sure some PM can be hard a$$e$, but I think most would care less how much profit the builder didnt make because you didn't buy an (overpriced) option. He knows you can just do it after you close. The project manager is responsible for making the budget.

As for the liability issue, I had signed that away when I signed purchase contract. "jobsites are hazardous and builder is not responsible, blah, blah"

Old 08-08-2010, 12:07 AM

75 posts, read 127,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donhalljobs View Post
Unless you are streaming video over your home network, or you have Fiber-to-the-home, the 54 mbps that your wireless can push will be sufficient. Most cable high-speed internet won't be faster than that. And that's at 802.11g speeds.
I was referring more of transfering speed, not internet.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:48 PM

847 posts, read 1,618,168 times
as others have stated, ask the project manager. my project manager let me run speaker wire for my living room and gameroom. he said to just wait to cut the holes in the sheetrock until after we closed and moved in. when i asked him about it, he said he'd turn the other way...he also gave me another option, he said if i paid one of the contractors outta pocket, (like $20), he can have the contractor run the wires for me.... only reason i didn't do that was cause i didn't have the speaker wire just yet....

Old 08-08-2010, 03:27 PM

377 posts, read 1,277,070 times
Yes, this is another thing.. Building managers are happy if you get the work done by the subcontractor he uses. The subcontractor will do it for you for , say, 20% of what the builder would have charged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelion_ms3 View Post
as others have stated, ask the project manager. my project manager let me run speaker wire for my living room and gameroom. he said to just wait to cut the holes in the sheetrock until after we closed and moved in. when i asked him about it, he said he'd turn the other way...he also gave me another option, he said if i paid one of the contractors outta pocket, (like $20), he can have the contractor run the wires for me.... only reason i didn't do that was cause i didn't have the speaker wire just yet....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: