Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2010, 01:45 PM

5 posts, read 8,217 times

Advertisements

I need some advice on moving to Houston. I just recently was in town searching for rent houses and found a place I like but I’m still not sure of the area. It is in the Mission Bend area . Specifically at the corner of Mission Bend South and Mission Oaks at FM1464 and Beechnut. I looked at crime report data but it seemed like it was safe but I have been reading this forum and some comments about Mission Bend and West Oaks have me concerned. If there are better areas that meet my qualifications I would really like to know from people who know Houston. My agent hasn’t been saying much about the area so I am worried she might not be telling me everything. Here is what I am looking for and my reasons why:

Don’t want more than a 25 mile commute into downtown - can't afford to deal with a long drive
Have college student living with me so we need a college campus near by
Rental range is 900-950 per month
Have concerns regarding safety because I am a recent widow so we would be 2 females on our own but I have 2 dogs.

Have been unemployed for 7 months so I am moving to Houston in the hopes that there are more job opportunities thus the commute to downtown. I am aware I may have to wait but as I said I’m not working and my current location has an awful job market and its getting worse.
Is Pearland a good area? Can I afford the Heights and is it safe to live? I know The Woodlands is good but I would have to find a job and live there too because I just made the commute on 45 during lunch and 5:00 traffic and it was absolutely insane. I know there are a lot of choices in where to live but since I’m moving without a job I need to be within a decent commute area to the Galleria/Downtown area. My work experience is in office administration and finance and several job recruiters told me my best opportunities for work would be downtown. Any advice is appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 02:43 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,910,074 times
I met a woman who was let go as an office assistant over a year ago. Few of those jobs are available, and the many who weere let go are already competing for them. I wouldn't move here w/o a job first. Oh and send a note to your congressmen to lift the gulf drilling ban because that will help spur some job growth as other projects will get greenlighted. More projects=more jobs.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:49 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,484,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Oh and send a note to your congressmen to lift the gulf drilling ban because that will help spur some job growth as other projects will get greenlighted. More projects=more jobs.

You mean capitalism creates jobs???

Old 08-07-2010, 03:58 PM

5 posts, read 8,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I met a woman who was let go as an office assistant over a year ago. Few of those jobs are available, and the many who weere let go are already competing for them. I wouldn't move here w/o a job first. Oh and send a note to your congressmen to lift the gulf drilling ban because that will help spur some job growth as other projects will get greenlighted. More projects=more jobs.
Jobs all over are scarce but I do have specialized skills in finance as well as office administration. I can also work temp for awhile. I do have a cushion for about a year so finances are ok. Its just where I am currently located has nothing. I have been laid off twice in the last year and now that I am on my own without my husbands support I really need to move some place with options and where family is at.
How about the Briarforest area - I have located a rental there. I also found one off West Little York and Addicks Satsuma Rd - I know nothing of this area.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:13 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,484,606 times
eeeeh, BriarForest can be iffy. Eldridge would be better if you can find something in your range. Also some of the apartments around Memorial and Country Place, or on NOttingham Oaks, can be ok. Probably moderately high on the saftey, but still has general apartment issues. The biggest bonus there is that the schools are incredible (not that you care, but it makes nice neighbors). Other bonus is that the single family homes in the area are extemely nice.

PS- There is an express bus to downtown that runs along Memorial

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 08-07-2010 at 04:32 PM..

Old 08-07-2010, 06:47 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,190,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmlamb1 View Post
Jobs all over are scarce but I do have specialized skills in finance as well as office administration. I can also work temp for awhile. I do have a cushion for about a year so finances are ok. Its just where I am currently located has nothing. I have been laid off twice in the last year and now that I am on my own without my husbands support I really need to move some place with options and where family is at.
How about the Briarforest area - I have located a rental there. I also found one off West Little York and Addicks Satsuma Rd - I know nothing of this area.
Sounds like Bear Creek Village - which is fine as to safety. A lot of retirees live there. I would pick it over the Mission Bend area. Not too bad for commuting, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston