Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2010, 07:07 PM

6 posts, read 19,254 times

Advertisements

Hi all- I am moving to Houston for a job in the TMC. I am leaning towards renting a townhouse/condo the condo land area south of TMC. I would appreciate some heads up to any crime hot spots in the area (south of TMC, west of Almeda, east of Kirby and north of 610). I would also appreciate tips about specific condo communities: is the facility well-maintained, are the securities doing their job, etc. Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 09:07 PM

Any comments are welcome, please. To start with, I learned from another forum that Almeda Rd should be avoided at all cost. Is it even true?

Old 08-08-2010, 09:30 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,195,821 times
No, there are areas that are fine on Almeda. Cambridge has some foundation issues that they have allowed to get bad, but not the whole community.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
No, there are areas that are fine on Almeda. Cambridge has some foundation issues that they have allowed to get bad, but not the whole community.
Thanks a lot for the reply! I will watch out for the foundation issues.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:17 AM

38 posts, read 110,453 times
Look into the Plaza del Oro Townhomes on Holly Hall. I enjoyed my stay there. Only complaint was the electricity bill would be REALLY high sometimes.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRamon View Post
Look into the Plaza del Oro Townhomes on Holly Hall. I enjoyed my stay there. Only complaint was the electricity bill would be REALLY high sometimes.
Thank you for the recommendation. However, I haven't seen any Plaza del Oro units on the market. On the contrary, there are plenty of supplies from Cambridge Court condos and Hearthwood condos. Are these places any good?

Old 08-12-2010, 03:13 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
No, there are areas that are fine on Almeda.
Good to see this is the case. Up & down Kirby, Fannin and Almeda the area started looking nice about 6-7 years ago. The Superbowl had much to do with it. But there was still plenty of crime, prostitution, homelessness, etc mixed in.

I used to live in that area, went down memory lane the other day and they've cleaned it up slightly more. However one thing hasn't changed at all-- once you go east of 288 down Holly Hall, you're getting into arguably the roughest part of Houston.

Next thing I didn't see but I'm willing to bet hasn't changed-- deathly ill people of all ages, from all over the world live throughout the rental units in that area month to month. Gets depressing after a short while.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Good to see this is the case. Up & down Kirby, Fannin and Almeda the area started looking nice about 6-7 years ago. The Superbowl had much to do with it. But there was still plenty of crime, prostitution, homelessness, etc mixed in.

I used to live in that area, went down memory lane the other day and they've cleaned it up slightly more. However one thing hasn't changed at all-- once you go east of 288 down Holly Hall, you're getting into arguably the roughest part of Houston.

Next thing I didn't see but I'm willing to bet hasn't changed-- deathly ill people of all ages, from all over the world live throughout the rental units in that area month to month. Gets depressing after a short while.
Thanks a lot for the input. It's certainly refreshing to hear about the history/problems of a community from a past resident. I know that the condo land is not a perfect place to live but it gives me the biggest bang for my money. Plus, it's just so convenient to be able to walk to work. And I am already used to seeing sick people-they just remind me that health is a premium and I should take good care of myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston