Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 07:37 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,821,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorplaxy View Post
go outside at this time of the year and you will find out...even at night
Unless you are into saunas 24/7
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 08:01 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,264,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Is it just me or is Texas attracting a lot of whiners lately?
Oh my gosh yes. Nobody said Texas housed cities with the culture of London, the beauty of Vancouver, and the weather of San Diego all combined into one, but there sure are a lot of folks that feel compelled to tell us that.

Texas is too hot waaa waaa

Old 08-08-2010, 08:04 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,192,720 times
1. Texas will be hot before you get here.

2. Texas will be hot when you here.

3. Texas will be hot after you get here.

The moral of the story is; Texas is hot.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:30 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,543,009 times
Quote:
go outside at this time of the year and you will find out...even at night
As someone who has experienced subtropical and tropical weather for weeks at a time - outside of these United States - I'd have to say that Houston weather is relatively mild, except during hurricanes. If you think Houston weather is hot, then you don't want to spend any time near the equator. I can say that Hong Kong's summers are way more brutal than anything I've encountered in Houston. Thailand is hot and humid 365 days a year, 24 hours a day. There is one other factor - if your body mass index is over 25 (i.e. you are obese), you will feel the heat a lot more than the non-obese. This is why in tropical countries, you really don't see a lot of fat people - the continuous waves of heat act as a pretty effective appetite suppressant.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:16 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,927,318 times
the darn whiners who come here and spew bull crap are the same ones who go to islands in the Caribbean like the one I am from (where the humidity there makes Houston humidity seem like a day in the dessert, and the temperatures are scorching all year round) and say oh it is so nice and warm here, bla bla bla, I wish I could live here bla bla bla.

Puh lease. all the northerners who complain about the heat and humidity in houston, visit the caribbean in the winter to get away from the cold, and they keep the complaining to themselves.

People just get in the habit about complaining about houston and run away with it.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:33 AM

96 posts, read 306,127 times
Quote:
Anyone who says these past nights have been pleasant is just full of it. I have lived in Houston all of my life and these nights it feels like you are walking into a sweaty sock when you go outside. The humidity is absolutely horrible. And yay! It just rained again! Tomorrow is looking to be a wonderful day where you can just see the steam rising from the ground. WHOOPIE!

This, and only this, is why I hesitate to move to Houston. Otherwise I absolutely love the place.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:35 AM

Please note: I don't mind the heat- in fact I love it. It's just the humidity down there and all the rain.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
I posted something on your other thread for more details, but I prefer Houston. I really miss the mountains out West, but that's about it. Weather wise -- you'll get used to the humidity (to some extent -- you never really get used to getting sticky in the summers, but your body will adapt).

The once place in Arizona that i'd consider moving to in the future is Flagstaff. Beautiful city.

This isn't intended to sound political or racist or anything of the sort, but I really think that the illegal immigrant problem has ruined the city of Phoenix. There's a reason why almost every non-hispanic person in the state supports a law as drastic as the one they passed.
I hear ya. Actually, I just read the other day that many of the illegals are making a beeline for Texas since Arizona is enacting its law and the cost of living is too high (and getting higher) in California.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:36 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,302,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
I'm surprised to hear this. Alot of people from Miami usually claim of a breeze to cool you off which makes it better than Houston. But then again, people will downplay the negatives of their city.
There is a breeze if you are on the coast or on Mimai Beach but it doesn't make it more than a couple of miles in shore where the vast majority of the population goes about their (non-tourist) day to day lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
10 hottest cities
Average annual temperature, F
entire 50 state rank

1. Key West, Florida77.7
2. Miami, Florida75.6
3. W Palm Beach, Florida74.6
4. Ft. Myers, Florida73.9
5. Yuma, Arizona73.9
6. Brownsville, Texas73.6
7. Orlando, Florida72.4
8. Vero Beach, Florida72.4
9. Corpus Christi, Texas72.1
10. Tampa, Florida72.0
These averages reflect the warmness of Florida cities in Winter more so than the heat in Summer. If you looked at average year round temperatures of Ney Your City one would think it was plesant all year round because the cold winters and hot summers would average out. Average yearly temperature is kind of meaningless with out standard deviation.

Quote:
10 most uncomfortable
cities
Avg combination of summer heat and humidity

1. Phoenix, Arizona
2. Corpus Christi, Texas
3. San Antonio, Texas
4. Dallas, Texas

5. West Palm Beach, Florida
6. Miami, Florida
7. Waco, Texas
8. Houston, Texas
9. Montgomery, Alabama
10. New Orleans, Louisiana
Interesting United States Weather Facts and Extremes
It is no surprise to see so many Florida cities since Florida is closer to the equator than any other part of the USA.
[/quote]

Old 08-09-2010, 08:38 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,170,298 times
Beats shoveling snow.

Ronnie (ex Detroiter)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston