Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 09:24 PM

96 posts, read 306,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Okay, that made me smile. glad to know you did not forget to price your liquor before you moved
Lol. I know what's important!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 09:24 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,195,821 times
Quote:
Well all HEB's are not built equal. They cater to the area they are in. There is one near china town that cater's to Asians so they stock stuff to suit that market (such as live seafood and stuff). I love the HEB in pearland the best though. It has just about everything you can find in a Central Market

The ones closer to the Valley and some in San Antonio market to the hispanic side.

btw, HEB is not the cheapest. My dad for one thinks it is too expensive. There are cheaper places( Fiesta, Foodtown, Foodarama, Walmart), but I would not rank HEB in the expensive pile. That I leave for Randalls and Kroger, Whole Foods, Central Market, Rice Epicurean, Target.

You might like some of the bigger Fiesta's some of them sell foods from countries by the aisle. There is a caribbean aisle, an indian aisle, etc.
I haven't been to the one in Pearland. There is one that closed at 529 and Barker Cypress - and re-opened at 290/Barker Cypress about a year ago. OMG. I went in that one for the first time and didn't come out for over 2 hours - and I hate grocery shopping. They had everything ever created in foodstuff there.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:26 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl67 View Post
Lol. I know what's important!
Have you been to Specs? it is a walmart sized liquor store

Old 08-17-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
I haven't been to the one in Pearland. There is one that closed at 529 and Barker Cypress - and re-opened at 290/Barker Cypress about a year ago. OMG. I went in that one for the first time and didn't come out for over 2 hours - and I hate grocery shopping. They had everything ever created in foodstuff there.
Yes, these newer HEBs are so large, they have wide spacious aisles. They have all these food samples.

I love the chocolate dispenser aisle. walls and walls of chocolate

Old 08-17-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Have you been to Specs? it is a walmart sized liquor store
I actually went to one on Saturday, right before I went to H.E.B. They do not carry my favorite wines though so I just get them at H.E.B. or Wal-Mart.

I don't know why everything is so expensive here. Seriously, my wines are dollars cheaper, if not half price (and lower sales tax than here) and I stocked up on some groceries and brought them back with me since they were cheaper AND no sales tax.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:34 PM

well I guess you can pretend that you ar ein the army or away at camp, and have you daughter send you "care" packages

Old 08-17-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
I actually went to one on Saturday, right before I went to H.E.B. They do not carry my favorite wines though so I just get them at H.E.B. or Wal-Mart.

I don't know why everything is so expensive here. Seriously, my wines are dollars cheaper, if not half price (and lower sales tax than here) and I stocked up on some groceries and brought them back with me since they were cheaper AND no sales tax.
You haven't seen a Specs until you've been to the one in Midtown. It take the block and uses the next block for parking. Some wines you can only find in that location (and the big one on Westheimer). They have people giving free samples of liquor (a dream come true, right?) during the weekends. Gourmet food, etc. The staff is great and they know all about wine.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
You haven't seen a Specs until you've been to the one in Midtown. It take the block and uses the next block for parking. Some wines you can only find in that location (and the big one on Westheimer). They have people giving free samples of liquor (a dream come true, right?) during the weekends. Gourmet food, etc. The staff is great and they know all about wine.
The one I went to was actually kind of small. Where is Midtown?

Another thing I love about Texas- samples in liquor stores and of liquor at grocery stores! I am not one pass up free wine. In Oklahoma the liquor stores can't even carry anything like limes, Coke, wine glasses, corkscrews, etc. much less give out samples.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
The one I went to was actually kind of small. Where is Midtown?

Another thing I love about Texas- samples in liquor stores and of liquor at grocery stores! I am not one pass up free wine. In Oklahoma the liquor stores can't even carry anything like limes, Coke, wine glasses, corkscrews, etc. much less give out samples.
Just barely out of downtown. SoonerGirl, you haven't even scratched the surface of Houston.

I remember when I moved here in the 70's. We stopped at a hotel off I-10 east (we didn't know). The next day I drove around the immediate area and was so depressed. My husband had been transferred and we were stuck here at least a year. I had no idea it was so big and there were other, very different areas (and it wasn't nearly as big as it is now). I was from Oklahoma City and just assumed, like there, it was pretty much the same city-wide.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Just barely out of downtown. SoonerGirl, you haven't even scratched the surface of Houston.

I remember when I moved here in the 70's. We stopped at a hotel off I-10 east (we didn't know). The next day I drove around the immediate area and was so depressed. My husband had been transferred and we were stuck here at least a year. I had no idea it was so big and there were other, very different areas (and it wasn't nearly as big as it is now). I was from Oklahoma City and just assumed, like there, it was pretty much the same city-wide.
I was just reading another thread from a woman whose husband is being transferred from CT to the Houston JP Morgan branch. Cinco Ranch and Eagle something or other (in Humble) were recommended to her as good, family neighborhoods. I checked them both out and WOW. I want to live in either one of those communities. Now I really want to come! And the Cinco Ranch development has 2 H.E.B.'s! It looks like that's my kind of area- new and nice with lots of shopping and restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston