Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 08:25 AM

659 posts, read 1,376,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmh1013 View Post
Happiest day of my life will be when i can dump this house and head west just as fast as I can...if not for my wife tricking me into moving here 3 years ago.... I would still be back home:smack
Would you rather wake up and look at Camelback Mountain everyday....or a flood.
I'd rather live in a city prone to flooding than one where I can't make good money in an organization of MY choosing and live in a house that hasn't lost over half of its value in the last few years.

The only thing that interested me in the Phoenix area was Taliesin West. And that place harkens from a time when the area actually had some interesting attributes. Phoenix sucks now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 08:31 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl67 View Post
I've been racking my brain for months trying to decide what to do about this dilemma, so I decided to take it to the people. Although a good portion of it is very personal, and no one can make the choice but me, I would still like everyone's input on some of the other factors involved. Here it is: I am newly divorced and an unemployed (but ready to get back to work asap) paralegal, living in Oklahoma. My daughter lives in Houston and has a new baby and is living with the father for now, but doesn't want to stay with him after their lease is up in November. She has just become a CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant) but she has not yet found a job in Houston and she wants to continue her schooling to eventually obtain an RN degree. I obviously want to be near my new grandson & my daughter and I do like Houston- visiting- but I just can't bring myself to move there. This is mostly due to the weather. I am VERY outdoorsy, love the sunshine and get depressed when it rains, and I like the heat. I have wanted to live in the Phoenix area (Scottsdale or Gilbert) for many years and now is my chance. BUT I want to be near my daughter & grandson. I don't think she would like Phoenix due to the heat, but she can't afford to live in Houston on her own either. Plus, her & the baby moving to Phoenix would take him away from his father, who DEFINITELY wants to remain in his life- he is a very good dad. And, all my family is in Oklahoma, which isn't too far from Houston and all of my daughter's family is in Houston; we would be in Arizona completely alone. I just don't think I would be happy in Houston, but I don't know if we should move so far away from everyone to be in Arizona either- but it's been my dream for so long and now is my chance.Ugh. I've gone around and around in my head with this and can't decide what to do. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for listening. P.s.- I've compared crime rates in Scottsdale and Spring, TX (which is where my daughter lives) and Scottsdale and Gilbert have way lower crime than Spring and the Houston area.
Arizona is a beautiful place, but if your daughter can't afford to live in Houston on her own how is she going to live in Scottsdale?

Old 08-10-2010, 08:33 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
I'd rather live in a city prone to flooding than one where I can't make good money in an organization of MY choosing and live in a house that hasn't lost over half of its value in the last few years.

The only thing that interested me in the Phoenix area was Taliesin West. And that place harkens from a time when the area actually had some interesting attributes. Phoenix sucks now.
I am with you there, that first pic he posted looked a hella lot more boring than the second pic. all that is missing is the tumble weed rolling by.

We should make a big sign outside of Houston that reads: If you have not guessed Desert Dwellers, cities near water are not arid.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:34 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,174,639 times
Arizona's full of Mormons. Enuff said. Makes for a snooty, cliqueish societal underbelly.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie (ex Mormon BTW)

Old 08-10-2010, 08:47 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Mormons are cute, with their little grey pants, white shirts and bicycles

Old 08-10-2010, 10:23 AM

245 posts, read 545,461 times
Pick Houston, Scottsdale is more expensive, the people here in AZ are timid and unfriendly, and Im sure blue skies for 340 days a year will make you wish for a bit of rain. I lived in Arkansas for only 3 months and made more friends there than the only 2 friends I had here but were smart and moved(been in Az for 9 years). We will be moving to Houston next year, we visited last april, and loved it, people are friendly, its soo green, the beach is close by and lower cost of living, common man...

Old 08-10-2010, 10:44 AM

21 posts, read 52,123 times
Default Houston & Flooding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmh1013 View Post
...Would you rather wake up... a flood.
I am also thinking of moving to Houston & have read quite a bit about the flooding. I'm looking at a place on the outskirts of the 500 year floodplain but having never lived in a place that floods-I'm having a hard time envisioning what Houston is like during the rainy season.

All the best in both your move & in the original post writers decision between Houston & Scottsdale.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:32 PM

75 posts, read 196,835 times
[quote=AtlHous;15413043]I am also thinking of moving to Houston & have read quite a bit about the flooding. I'm looking at a place on the outskirts of the 500 year floodplain but having never lived in a place that floods-I'm having a hard time envisioning what Houston is like during the rainy season.

All the best in both your move & in the original post writers decision between Houston & Scottsdale.[/QUOTE

I have a house in northwest harris county and worry about floods....from what I read anywhere in harris county can and will flood and you better have some flood ins....which I do but its another 350 bucks a year I could have saved.
If you dont like bugs and roaches stay away from Houston ....a flying roach dived bombed me in the garage last night.....I never saw any huge roaches or one that fly in AZ....Ive never seen so many bugs at night in my life....I cant step outside without getting swarmed

Old 08-10-2010, 12:35 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,174,639 times
[quote=gmh1013;15414915]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlHous View Post
I am also thinking of moving to Houston & have read quite a bit about the flooding. I'm looking at a place on the outskirts of the 500 year floodplain but having never lived in a place that floods-I'm having a hard time envisioning what Houston is like during the rainy season.

All the best in both your move & in the original post writers decision between Houston & Scottsdale.[/QUOTE

I have a house in northwest harris county and worry about floods....from what I read anywhere in harris county can and will flood and you better have some flood ins....which I do but its another 350 bucks a year I could have saved.
If you dont like bugs and roaches stay away from Houston ....a flying roach dived bombed me in the garage last night.....I never saw any huge roaches or one that fly in AZ....Ive never seen so many bugs at night in my life....I cant step outside without getting swarmed
I went to graduate school in AZ and I've never once seen roaches as big as those in AZ. We had roaches, scorpions, huge red ants... AZ doesn't have bugs? Where in AZ did you live?

Oh, and don't get me started on mud rains.

Ronnie

Old 08-10-2010, 03:03 PM

433 posts, read 701,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
Arizona's full of Mormons. Enuff said. Makes for a snooty, cliqueish societal underbelly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Mormons are cute, with their little grey pants, white shirts and bicycles
The welcoming committee of locals here are great. Way to show your colors. Different topic, same ol' story.

Move elsewhere or make it temporary. Don't buy a house here. Unless you have similar profiles and "perceived" structures in your lives or else...

It's funny about Texans. They have to hate somebody, a whole lot of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston