Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 06:11 PM

96 posts, read 304,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
She stayed in the SE though. probably near the ALmeda area

Where did you come up with that I stayed in the SE? I never said that and I have never even been to that part of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 06:18 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,111,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl67 View Post
I've been there many times and have been to the downtown area, the Westheimer/Galleria area, all up and down 1960, 249, Spring and The Woodlands. I have never been south of downtown or to the southeast area and I have no idea where Alief is and have never heard of it. I guess it's just that the neighborhoods look dirty and unkempt (especially the lawns) - even the many of the new neighborhoods. And every restaurant I've been in my shoes literally stick to the floor- very unappetizing. I don't know- maybe it's the lack of zoning that bothers me.

I've pretty much counted out Arizona at this point anyway, as it is just too impractical with my daughter and grandson factored in. I guess it's down to going to Houston or just staying here.
Yeah, I would be grossed out and not eat at a restaurant where my shoes stuck to the floor. Where did you go like that?

You don't want to know where Alief is, trust me.

Did you think The Woodlands looked run-down? Running up and down 1960, and along 249 - understandable. Have you been to Clear Lake - or Cinco Ranch - or Copperfield - or Champions (above 1960) - or Memorial? They don't look run-down at all. We have nice areas, medium areas, not-so-good areas and downright gross areas - like every other big city.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:38 PM

437 posts, read 1,294,998 times
You should check out the south-west area, you've got a large community of Vietnamese and Chinese, and to a lesser extent(but not small) community of Filipino, Korean, Japanese, Indian, Pakistani, and Thai.
Be sure to check out Galveston, plenty of tropical flair, and southern architecture. The Conroe area is nice too, with it's pine forest and Lake Conroe. Every city has it's ups and downs, depending on where you went. Just because you saw a few places in town, doesn't mean the whole city is "trashy", "not maintained", "ugly". I personally like the Tex-Mex influence, gives the city diversity, instead of being a southern "white" city. The landscape is mostly live oaks, interspersed with palms. Though Galveston has nearly only palms and oleanders. Winters are very mild and are frostless or nearly so(temperature is different by almost 10 degrees from Conroe to Galveston). Sometimes we can have a freak snow event such as this year(was pretty while it lasted for a few hours), however it damaged a lot of the more tender palms, citrus, etc. Summers are very hot and humid(even more so then the Amazon rain forest!), but it is great for swimming, and other water sports.

Galveston, TX:

Old 08-17-2010, 06:38 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,772,716 times
Quote:
Where did you come up with that I stayed in the SE? I never said that and I have never even been to that part of the city.
I am not talking about you. I have no idea who you are.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
I've been there many times and have been to the downtown area, the Westheimer/Galleria area, all up and down 1960, 249, Spring and The Woodlands. I have never been south of downtown or to the southeast area and I have no idea where Alief is and have never heard of it. I guess it's just that the neighborhoods look dirty and unkempt (especially the lawns) - even the many of the new neighborhoods. And every restaurant I've been in my shoes literally stick to the floor- very unappetizing. I don't know- maybe it's the lack of zoning that bothers me.

I've pretty much counted out Arizona at this point anyway, as it is just too impractical with my daughter and grandson factored in. I guess it's down to going to Houston or just staying here.
I think you would do better to stay where you are. Judging by your unfair description of the place you do not like it and would be miserable here. It is no good to anyone to have more complainers here.

II have been here since 2001 and have never NOT ONCE been in a restaurant with sticky floors.

And why would zoning bother you? I have never heard of anyone moving here being bothered by zoning. I don't want to sound rude but why on earth are you even considering moving here still?

Old 08-17-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Did you think The Woodlands looked run-down? Running up and down 1960, and along 249 - understandable. Have you been to Clear Lake - or Cinco Ranch - or Copperfield - or Champions (above 1960) - or Memorial? They don't look run-down at all. We have nice areas, medium areas, not-so-good areas and downright gross areas - like every other big city.
I would not bother if I were you. There are only small pockets inside the loop that look run down. I don't know if she was a highway tourist who makes assumptions based on what she sees over the rails, but to generalize a city like that (especially coming from Oklahoma of all places ) shows that she doesn't want to be here and is just wasting our time

Old 08-17-2010, 06:57 PM

25 posts, read 39,687 times
Nice, another transplant who will whine and complain about Houston.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:58 PM

25 posts, read 39,687 times
Quote:
There have been several comments on the illegal immigrant issue. People of Houston- are you aware that your city is a sanctuary city? This issue is definitely factoring into my decision. At least Arizona is trying to get rid of them instead of giving them safe harbor.
Dont move here if you have a problem with hispanics. Not trying to be rude either.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:02 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,090,098 times
Sooner: now that you've decided to try out Houston for awhile over Scottsdale (which by the way most of us would not assume "the Phoenix area" - to me, Phoenix is Phoenix. Scottsdale is like The Woodlands after major, upscale plastic surgery), I think it would serve you well to try to adjust your mindset about Houston.

If you come down here with all the negative images you currently have which represent but a minute portion of Houston life, then you are setting yourself up to be miserable here - before you even get here!

I lived in The Woodlands and didn't find it unkempt. It is definitely zoned. If zoning is an issue, stick to the 'burbs and MPCs and don't live in Houston proper.

Can't do much about the weather except to let yourself acclimate to it.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:04 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,090,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post

II have been here since 2001 and have never NOT ONCE been in a restaurant with sticky floors.
I have...at bars when I was in college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston