Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Houstonians have a thick southern accent?
Yes 23 22.12%
No 81 77.88%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 08:34 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotextist View Post
I'd agree with this, but not even all of them. Then there's the old white people over the age of say, 65 or so. Most native Houstonians do not have recognizable Southern accents. If you hear a Houstonian who does, and they don't fall into one of the aforementioned categories, they are probably from elsewhere in the South, like a friend I knew from Memphis, and a lawyer I knew from Mississippi, both of whom now live in Houston and retain their strong accents.

Me, too! People are always shocked to learn I'm from Texas. There go those stereotypes!
I don't know; I meet lots of native black Houstonians with southern accents (Black men tend to have the stronger accent); I think the thing is that the Houston accent isn't as strong as some people imagine. Lots of people assume we sound like George Bush or some slave, but I've never in my life heard anyone speak like him here in Texas. I've always felt SE Texas and the Houston area accents were a little influenced by Southern Louisiana; some of the dialect is similar.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:35 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,769,052 times
LAWD! I know it sounds a mess if the Mexican barely can speak English!

Old 08-09-2010, 09:36 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,769,052 times
I know a lot of you said that many Houstonians don't have a southern accent, but do they have a southern accent compared to Chicagoians since people say they have a southern accent too?

Old 08-13-2010, 08:49 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,680,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I don't know; I meet lots of native black Houstonians with southern accents (Black men tend to have the stronger accent); I think the thing is that the Houston accent isn't as strong as some people imagine. Lots of people assume we sound like George Bush or some slave, but I've never in my life heard anyone speak like him here in Texas. I've always felt SE Texas and the Houston area accents were a little influenced by Southern Louisiana; some of the dialect is similar.
I agreed with Metro Matt that a lot of black Houstonians do have those accents. Not all, but a lot, especially those from the north side of town. But I disagree strongly that most native white Houstonians do.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:43 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,760,032 times
I don't think most native Houstonians (black or white) have a heavy southern accent. I really think this is true of most Texans from the larger metro areas. I think there is a mild "Texas" accent. It's a little slow, and with words like ya'll. The purdy thing, not so much. I've never said that. (okay, so I'm not a native Houstonian, raised in Dallas) I do think there is a a slight difference in the accent between black Texans and white Texans but I love they way they both sound. It just sounds like "home".

As for GW, his is more of a West Texas accent. It is much more pronounced/exaggerated there. While living in Midland many years ago, I had someone comment "you don't sound like you're from around here. You sound like you're from somewhere east." I say, "well I guess I am. I'm from Dallas". He starts laughing and says I sound like I'm from somewhere a lot further east than just Dallas. Everywhere else I go, most people can tell I'm from Texas as soon as I open my mouth.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:23 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,286 times
Yes, it's not as strong as say Georgia or somewhere, but it's there black or white. If you're used to hearing southern drawls it may not be as noticeable to you, but coming from an area where a drawl is rare it definitely stands out in black Houstonians and is noticeable in the whites.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:18 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,800,475 times
I like the plain Cali accent. Sometimes its hard to between a CA and TX accent.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:01 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,034,220 times
I was not born in this state and I am not originally from this state, I go back and forth between Texas and two other states frequently in the year, and I have lived in Metro Houston for 14 years. I have never in my life felt like I live in a Southern city, ever. Not even for one moment in my life, not one.

I think I can count on my fingers how many times I have seen Caucasian people with a Southern accent. It is not at all common and is very rare to find. Based off my experience at least.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:10 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
The first generation and newly arrived Indians in Houston have Indian accents.
The first generation and newly arrived Vietnamese in Houston have Vietnamese accents.
The first generation and newly arrived Chinese in Houston have Chinese accents.
The first generation and newly arrived Russians in Houston have Russian accents.
The first generation and newly arrived Nigerians in Houston have Nigerian accents.
The first generation and newly arrived Thais in Houston have Thai accents.
The first generation and newly arrived Koreans in Houston have Korean accents.
The first generation and newly arrived French in Houston have French accents.
The first generation and newly arrived British in Houston have British accents.
The first generation and newly arrived Germans in Houston have German accents.
The first generation and newly arrived Mexicans in Houston have Mexican accents.
The first generation and newly arrived Cubans in Houston have Cuban accents.
... and the list goes on for all the newly arrived immigrants...

Among the Caucasian people, they have a neutral accent, nothing at all Southern for the most part.

The people who are 2nd generation or grew up in/born in Houston but are of a different ethnicity have a neutral accent too. I am Indian/Singaporean and I have a neutral accent. Nothing at all Southern about it. My friends in Chicago all wonder why I don't have a Texas accent and I tell them that Houston is diverse and they don't believe me at first...until I say, I am Indian, I live in Houston I am an example of it... and so are (show pictures of some Chinese, Indian, Mexican friends on my phone)....

Anyways in continuation.... I don't know about African American people, they have a more slower accent compared to their counterparts up North. But I don't know if it's Southern or Texan or what.

Otherwise Houston has a neutral accent/no accent.
No. Houstonians have a very noticeable Southern accent. It may not be as thick as it is in rural Mississippi, but it's still there. It's not "neutral" by any means. I can hear it. I know people can't hear their own accent, but Houston residents - you guys have a Texas twang.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:13 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,034,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
No. Houstonians have a very noticeable Southern accent. It may not be as thick as it is in rural Mississippi, but it's still there. It's not "neutral" by any means. I can hear it. I know people can't hear their own accent, but Houston residents - you guys have a Texas twang.
I'm not a Houstonian by birth, and none of my friends in Chicago have ever told me I have a "Southern accent". I am South Asian, I don't even have an Indian accent.

Now, I don't notice it. Sounds the same to me as most other places. But you can keep your opinion, I don't doubt what you are saying because other people can notice things that many cannot. Just saying though, from my experience, it seems fairly neutral. But thats just my opinion.

By the way, welcome to the Houston board!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston