Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Houstonians have a thick southern accent?
Yes 23 22.12%
No 81 77.88%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 10:26 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,811,078 times

Advertisements

People in Conroe have southern accents.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:57 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Houston has been diverse, but I think among our new arrivals, there are many southerners. The thickest accents I have come across in Houston were people (both white and Black) from Louisiana

Old 08-14-2010, 11:48 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,849,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
True. Amongst us Texans we don't sound or consider ourselves as sounding southern or country, but to outsiders; we do.
c'mon guy, you know you don't speak for all texans. most texans i know absolutely consider themselves southerners as well as speaking with southern accents

Old 08-14-2010, 11:49 PM

all i hear is southern accents in this video. no more or less thick than what i heard living in south carolina in my younger days

Old 08-15-2010, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Yes, it's not as strong as say Georgia or somewhere, but it's there black or white. If you're used to hearing southern drawls it may not be as noticeable to you, but coming from an area where a drawl is rare it definitely stands out in black Houstonians and is noticeable in the whites.
no disrespect, but i don't know where people get the idea that atlantans or georgians have this super strong southern accent

for the most part, generally speaking, atlantans sound about as southern as houstonians

you guys know ed helms? (andy from the office)...he's a born and bred atlantan, and i hear no accent in his voice

Old 08-15-2010, 01:00 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,240,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
all i hear is southern accents in this video. no more or less thick than what i heard living in south carolina in my younger days

That about nails it. Those who maintain that Houstonians don't have a distinctive accent clearly aren't listening carefully enough. As this video shows, there is a definite pattern of pronunciation in the Houston dialect, the most prominent features being:

"bowl" "cowl" "yowl" - ball, call, y'all

"Teeusdee" - Tuesday

"narth" - north

"brang" - bring

And sometimes the occasional 'r' thrown in behind a 'u' (e.g., Hourston, commurnity)

Old 08-15-2010, 02:03 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,488,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
no disrespect, but i don't know where people get the idea that atlantans or georgians have this super strong southern accent
Would it be fair to use Nancy Grace or Tameka Cottle as pop. culture examples? We can stretch it and include Jimmy Carter, Alexyss K. Tylor, T.I. or any other mainstream celebrity that is an Atlanta or Georgia native.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Would it be fair to use Nancy Grace or Tameka Cottle as pop. culture examples? We can stretch it and include Jimmy Carter, Alexyss K. Tylor, T.I. or any other mainstream celebrity that is an Atlanta or Georgia native.
exactly. but it's the same way with houston. folks native to these areas can have strong distinct southern accents or little to no accent at all. it just depends on each individual's environment, really. for every atlantan who sounds like alexyss tylor, there's another atlantan who sounds like ed helms.

if you go over to the atlanta board, you'll see the same thing you see in this thread, a whole bunch of natives saying "well nobody here really speaks with a southern accent"

Old 08-15-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
That about nails it. Those who maintain that Houstonians don't have a distinctive accent clearly aren't listening carefully enough. As this video shows, there is a definite pattern of pronunciation in the Houston dialect, the most prominent features being:

"bowl" "cowl" "yowl" - ball, call, y'all

"Teeusdee" - Tuesday

"narth" - north

"brang" - bring

And sometimes the occasional 'r' thrown in behind a 'u' (e.g., Hourston, commurnity)
yep. and it's not just blacks either (as some people are claiming), because i've heard white houstonians with accents as well....furthermore, i would more closely associate the accents in houston with the rest of the south versus the rest of texas. i hear a drawl in houston speech, not that "twang" that you hear further west in the state

Old 08-15-2010, 02:30 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
It's true, all of us natives sound like the people in all these videos. And all us whites really do sound like Paul Wall.

On a more serious note, I think this article pretty much nailed it. Kept me from losing in IQ point as I flipped through this trainwreck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotextist View Post
Some of you really need to get away from your block a little more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston