Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 08:43 AM

5 posts, read 13,930 times

Advertisements

I have the option with my job to work out of our Houston or Chicago office for 3-5yrs. I have been to neither therefore would like some advice as to what people would think best! I would be joined by my wife and 11 year old daughter so safety, schooling etc. would be paramount!
Any thoughts to good areas, schools ?
Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 08:48 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,174,639 times
Chicago because they have better baseball and hockey teams.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:52 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
I live in both of them presently. And have spent majority of my life in both.

You are comparing two sides of the spectrum, dynamically different cities. Chicago is our 3rd largest city, and Houston our 4th largest in the country.

Chicago has a more exciting downtown and it's the heart of Chicago. You can get practically anything there and if you want a big city lifestyle and a walkable atmosphere, then Chicago is the way to go.

Chicago however does have some of the most unbearable winters there are, I personally like it, but so many people hate it. And that can play a huge role on your overall decision.

Houston on the other hand has great standard of living when it comes to how much you're willing to spend and how much you actually end up spending. The living standard in Houston, IMO would possibly be one of the highest in the nation.
Houston schools are fine, but try the ones in the suburbs. Places like Bellaire, Katy, Sugar Land, Cypress, The Woodlands, Conroe all have some great school systems.

Chicago's schools within the city limits are an epic failure, if you pick Chicago overall then please stay in the suburbs, particularly in the Northside or Naperville which has some of the best schools in the area.

Houston you need your car, you have everything but it's always a drive away, and that's fine. It's easy navigating highways and roads in Houston.

Houston also has heat and humidity and don't stress over that, give it one summer and you'll be used to it, it is far easier to deal with that than it is with cold temperatures, as nearly everything in Houston is air conditioned.

Houston by far is the more family oriented city, Chicago is more of a place you will enjoy greatly if you are single, otherwise downtown wont be useful to you at all which is Chicago's main factor.

Both of them are culturally diverse, you'll see people of all backgrounds in them both. They are both outstanding food cities, you can find any kind of food you want in both of them. Chinese, Thai, French, Mexican, Indian, Japanese, Italian, etc...

Can you tell us more of what you want in a city and what is important to you and what of your car or public transportation preference? How important is a good sized house and do taxes play a role in your decision? And things like that. Also it would help if you tell us where you are coming from, it can help us tell you which one you'll be able to adapt to better by weather or city layout.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:12 AM

Thanks for the speedy response, much appreciated! My wife doesnt drive, so I would like somewhere for her that allows easy access to shops, school, restaurants etc. and safe whilst I'm working. My company will be paying for the rental of a house( 3 bed) and ourselves for utilities etc. We'll be coming from Scotland but like our summer holidays in the sun (Spain, Turkey, Florida). It sounds as if Houston would be the better bet for a family!

Old 08-09-2010, 09:13 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
Houston by far is the more family oriented city, Chicago is more of a place you will enjoy greatly if you are single, otherwise downtown wont be useful to you at all which is Chicago's main factor.
I agree with most of what you have said except for this part. I brought up my kids in Chicago (actually Evanston) and we went downtown frequently for many many programs. We actually enjoyed the lunch time music concerts downtown even when my kids were very young. Outside of downtown, the Chicago Children's Museum, the Lincoln Park Zoo, the Museum of Science and Industry, the Shedd Aquarium, the Natural History Museum, the Chicago History Museum, the Chicago Model City at the Architecture Foundation, the boat tours for various reasons and seasons, etc., make Chicago a very child friendly city, imo.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:13 AM

lol

Old 08-09-2010, 09:31 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoobyizzy View Post
Thanks for the speedy response, much appreciated! My wife doesnt drive, so I would like somewhere for her that allows easy access to shops, school, restaurants etc. and safe whilst I'm working. My company will be paying for the rental of a house( 3 bed) and ourselves for utilities etc. We'll be coming from Scotland but like our summer holidays in the sun (Spain, Turkey, Florida). It sounds as if Houston would be the better bet for a family!
If your wife does not drive, I can't say I recommend Houston. There is very little public transportation here and you really cannot walk to shopping either unless you live directly in the city. With schools a priority, though I would think you would want a suburb.

Where are you going to be working as that will tell us more about the commute and what communities you should look at.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:35 AM

860 posts, read 1,585,772 times
You mention that your wife doesn't drive. Many people from the UK who move here take driving lessons and find they do surprisingly well. Public transportation in Houston is so iffy - compared to what you're used to - that having a car is almost a necessity.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:44 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
If your wife does not drive, I can't say I recommend Houston. There is very little public transportation here and you really cannot walk to shopping either unless you live directly in the city. With schools a priority, though I would think you would want a suburb.

Where are you going to be working as that will tell us more about the commute and what communities you should look at.
For the moment, work in progress

Old 08-09-2010, 09:59 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,657,391 times
Chicago has more amenities and more options for entertainment, shopping, and eating, etc etc. Chicago also has much more to offer in terms of subcultures than Houston does and overall a much more active entertainment scene. Downtown Houston is dead after working hours except for a small area with a couple of clubs while downtown Chicago has tons to offer at all times. Houston has no entertainment center.

Chicago has a much, much better public transportation infrastructure, whereas Houston is really, really lagging behind in that aspect, especially for being so large. If your wife doesn't drive then I would NOT recommend Houston at all when compared to Chicago.

Houston and Chicago both have pockets of high crime.

Houston and Chicago both have times of severe weather; right now, Houston's summer is absolutely horrible with both incredibly high temperatures and incredibly high humidity and you will be very unpleasantly surprised if you are not used to being choked by heat when you go outside. Chicago has much milder summers (temperatures for the week are in the mid/high 80s while ours are in mid/high 90s) but much more intense winters. Houston's winters are rather mild but still wet and muddy.

If you are going to being looking at suburbs, I would still recommend Chicago because Chicago still has more entertainment and life than Houston. A suburb is a suburb, so what really matters is what city it is a suburb of.

Houston may be cheaper but in this case you get what you pay for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston