Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you choose?
Lost Pines Resort near Austin 5 55.56%
Great Wolf Lodge in Grapevine 1 11.11%
Other - please specify 3 33.33%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 11:00 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,136,060 times

Advertisements

Okay if you were to go on a family weekend get away and the persons going are 2 adults (the parents) and a 4 year old and a 6 month old - which would you choose? We would leave Thursday afternoon and head home Sunday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 11:04 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,170,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
Okay if you were to go on a family weekend get away and the persons going are 2 adults (the parents) and a 4 year old and a 6 month old - which would you choose:
Right now I'd go to Cozumel and head to an all-inclusive. Packages are ridiculously low. All-inclusives like the Cozumeleno are great for kids that age. The food is so-so, but the locations are grande!

Just sayin'...

Ronnie

Old 08-13-2010, 11:11 AM

I would go to Cozumel in a heartbeat!! Love it there! The problem is - we don't have a passport for the baby yet. We just did Cozumel last year for my birthday (dear hubby suprised me with a trip) and it was wonderful - took our (then) 3 year old. We've been there several times. We stayed at Iberostar last time we were there.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:22 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Cozumel for 2 days?? With 2 small kids? That's too much. Too much rush. Too hot. Kids will be all cranky. I don't think anyone would enjoy it.
The best would be to find a cool, indoor place that offer activities for kids that age.
The Great Wolf Lodge in Grapevine is a good choice - I heard nice comments about it. It has indoor waterpark - isn't that cool??
Also Hyatt Resort in Lost Pines, right outside of Austin is a good place to be with kids.
You can also check that:
http://www.jellystonehillcountry.com/
http://www.texasoutside.com/discoverMain.html
http://www.vacationhomerentals.com/v...oID-31400.html

Last edited by elnina; 08-13-2010 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: more info added

Old 08-13-2010, 12:09 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,170,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Cozumel for 2 days?? With 2 small kids? That's too much. Too much rush. Too hot. Kids will be all cranky. I don't think anyone would enjoy it.
The best would be to find a cool, indoor place that offer activities for kids that age.
The Great Wolf Lodge in Grapevine is a good choice - I heard nice comments about it. It has indoor waterpark - isn't that cool??
Also Hyatt Resort in Lost Pines, right outside of Austin is a good place to be with kids.
You can also check that:
Hill Country Jellystone
Texas Vacations
Galveston Texas Vacation Rentals - 2 Huge Pools, A+ Location - walk to beach!

Totally disagree, but to each his/her own. Either you throw all the kids and stuff in a car and drive 1 hr+, or put them in a plane. It's hot everywhere, but I dare you to find water as wonderful as Cozumel in Texas or food as inexpensive as an all-inclusive.

Ronnie

Old 08-13-2010, 07:02 PM

80 posts, read 292,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
Totally disagree, but to each his/her own. Either you throw all the kids and stuff in a car and drive 1 hr+, or put them in a plane. It's hot everywhere, but I dare you to find water as wonderful as Cozumel in Texas or food as inexpensive as an all-inclusive.

Ronnie
Ronnie can you show me some links to these cheap all-inclusives? They sound great and I'd love to go with my family

Old 08-13-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post

Ronnie
I agree...you can do a quick get away. But until we have a passport for the baby, we can't. Going down there is easy. Book a flight, throw some clothes in a suitcase, fly for a couple of hours, and step into heaven!

Does anyone know if you can cross the boarder with a birth certificate instead?

And what are those links?

Old 08-14-2010, 11:59 AM

1,042 posts, read 3,263,241 times
There is no way I would go to Mexico right now especially by car. I would rather drive 8 hours to Destin which to me has just as beautiful water and beaches as Cozumel even despite the oil spill. Our friends went last weekend and NOTHING on the beaches there. We went to Cozumel back in 03 for our anniversary. It was alright and may have been better if we stayed at an all inclusive but again just for us we prefer the area around Destin. Again please no jumping down my throat. This is just my opinion bases off of our experience. I am sure they will have fun no matter where they go! We went to The Hill Country back in April and it was sooo nice!

Old 08-14-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txgal33 View Post
There is no way I would go to Mexico right now especially by car. I would rather drive 8 hours to Destin which to me has just as beautiful water and beaches as Cozumel even despite the oil spill. Our friends went last weekend and NOTHING on the beaches there. We went to Cozumel back in 03 for our anniversary. It was alright and may have been better if we stayed at an all inclusive but again just for us we prefer the area around Destin. Again please no jumping down my throat. This is just my opinion bases off of our experience. I am sure they will have fun no matter where they go! We went to The Hill Country back in April and it was sooo nice!
Yeah you couldn't pay me to drive in MExico!!

I grew up in the hill country, so it holds a special place in my heart. We have decided to go to Lost Pines Resort and try that out. It seems more relaxed and laid back, which is what we need right now.

I want to go to Great Lodge, but it's right by my sister's house. So perhaps next time we are up that way visiting, we will take a day to go there and have a look-see with her (she's been wanting to go there as well). And the reports/reviews I read said that while it's a fantastic place for kids, it's crowded, busy, and full of kids. While that's fine, that's not the weekend get away we are looking for right now! We will get plenty of that when we go to Disney World in a few months!!

Old 08-15-2010, 08:15 PM

1,042 posts, read 3,263,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
Yeah you couldn't pay me to drive in MExico!!

I grew up in the hill country, so it holds a special place in my heart. We have decided to go to Lost Pines Resort and try that out. It seems more relaxed and laid back, which is what we need right now.

I want to go to Great Lodge, but it's right by my sister's house. So perhaps next time we are up that way visiting, we will take a day to go there and have a look-see with her (she's been wanting to go there as well). And the reports/reviews I read said that while it's a fantastic place for kids, it's crowded, busy, and full of kids. While that's fine, that's not the weekend get away we are looking for right now! We will get plenty of that when we go to Disney World in a few months!!
Braving Disney! Good luck and have tons of fun! I hope it cools off for ya all by then. Our friends braved it back in April after planning a year for it. They made reservations for every dinner and every character thing like 6 months in advance. They said it was crazy. They stayed on site and dropped almost $10,000 for 3 adults and three kiddos. We can't afford that and thus we have looked into just renting a house near by but not sure just how much that will save us. We added it up and for the four of us and the gps to go with it will cost almost $500 a day to just get in the parks around there. I keep looking for deals on my own but not so far nothing.
We also looked into Lost Pines and it looks wonderful! We may head that way this fall. We want to take the kids to the National Dinosaur Park once it cools off. Oh and in April up in Grapevine Lego will be opening up a discovery center which we will have to do. They have been begging to go to Legoland so that maybe will do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston