Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 01:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
Man, you could probably raffle those off! I know I'd buy a few tickets for the chance to end that guy's miserable existence.
I'd buy one if I get to pee on the carcass when it's over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 12:09 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Sign me up for one too.

We read about the case and saw a video in one of our classes. Disgusting.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:56 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,735,217 times
The problem with the death penalty is not killing pieces of **** that rape and murder. The problem is how many times the police pin crimes on the wrong person. 2 out of 3 death penalty convictions get overturned on appeal with 7% of people found Not Guilty. In so many cases where a competent legal team with time and resources is brought in they are able to prove that the guys are innocent. So the questions are how many innocent people are you willing to kill to get vengeance on the guys who actually are bad, and do you think the government should have the right to kill its own citizens.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:52 AM

Location: Canadian in Tulsa, OK...counting down 2 years and a wake up
51 posts, read 158,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
No TV?! No reading?! No excercise?! No visitors?!

Wouldn't that then be considered 'cruel and unusual punishment', which is protected by the Eighth Ammendment of the Constitution?

I have no cable should I sue the government for not providing me free cable yet these inmates get cable and movie night? TV is a privilege not a right. I don't think there should be commissaries in prison either. No TVs, no commissaries, the only thing they should be allowed is to read spiritual books, educational material, and historic novels. No magazines of any type. They should be allowed to exercise drill sergeant style. Up....doowwwnnn...front...back...goooooo!!!! None of this is cruel and unusual punishment for one if military can do it so can these idiots. No walking around the courtyard and separating into little gangs on bleachers trying to size up the competition in prison. Line them up formation style, put them in companies and platoon formation, and start to exercise. Once done, line then up two by two and walk them back inside. Now if that is cruel and unusual I guess I must have volunteered 6 years of my life to get cruel and unusual punishment and so did millions and millions of other soldiers, marines, sailors, and airmen.

Visitation should only allow spiritual groups or leaders, those school groups or organizations that try to scare kids straight, and immediate family members (no cousins, aunts, uncles, friends, etc.). If you killed someones daughter, mother, brother, etc., then you CAN NOT be visited by your own daughter, mother, brother, etc. Since the victims family can no longer see that member since they are now no longer in existence then the same should happen to the prisoner. They can write that family member but CAN NOT receive any response nor can the family members during visitation speak of that person to the prisoner or relay any messages.

Last edited by cherish_lily; 08-16-2010 at 09:09 AM..

Old 08-16-2010, 09:06 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherish_lily View Post
, the only thing they should be allowed is to read spiritual books, educational material, and historic novels. No magazines of any type. They should be allowed to exercise drill sergeant style. Up....doowwwnnn...front...back...goooooo!!!! None of this is cruel and unusual punishment for one if military can do it so can these idiots. No walking around the courtyard and separating into little gangs on bleachers trying to size up the competition in prison. Line them up formation style, put them in companies and platoon formation, and start to exercise. Once done, line then up two by two and walk them back inside. Now if that is cruel and unusual I guess I must have volunteered 6 years of my life to get cruel and unusual punishment and so did millions and millions of other soldiers, marines, sailors, and airmen.
I think if we include a book on yoga, there isn't really a necessity for them to leave their cells. Every time they leave the cells - it's extra security needed. Let them just sit there and contemplate what they've done.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:18 AM

Location: Canadian in Tulsa, OK...counting down 2 years and a wake up
51 posts, read 158,336 times
They should be exercised to the point where some of them are dry heaving. The first couple of months I was in the Army I dry heaved at least once a week after running 5 or 6 miles which was done after calisthenics. Yoga is too easy for anyone let alone prisoners. Work them out hardcore! Let the inside of the courtyard look like a dust bowl by the time there done.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:37 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,270,067 times
Default Ummm..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherish_lily View Post
I have no cable should I sue the government for not providing me free cable yet these inmates get cable and movie night? TV is a privilege not a right. I don't think there should be commissaries in prison either. No TVs, no commissaries, the only thing they should be allowed is to read spiritual books, educational material, and historic novels. No magazines of any type. They should be allowed to exercise drill sergeant style. Up....doowwwnnn...front...back...goooooo!!!! None of this is cruel and unusual punishment for one if military can do it so can these idiots. No walking around the courtyard and separating into little gangs on bleachers trying to size up the competition in prison. Line them up formation style, put them in companies and platoon formation, and start to exercise. Once done, line then up two by two and walk them back inside. Now if that is cruel and unusual I guess I must have volunteered 6 years of my life to get cruel and unusual punishment and so did millions and millions of other soldiers, marines, sailors, and airmen.

Visitation should only allow spiritual groups or leaders, those school groups or organizations that try to scare kids straight, and immediate family members (no cousins, aunts, uncles, friends, etc.). If you killed someones daughter, mother, brother, etc., then you CAN NOT be visited by your own daughter, mother, brother, etc. Since the victims family can no longer see that member since they are now no longer in existence then the same should happen to the prisoner. They can write that family member but CAN NOT receive any response nor can the family members during visitation speak of that person to the prisoner or relay any messages.
I was being sarcastic. Sorry. But in all honesty, how many organizations would come to their defense? ACLU maybe? Nah, they would not do that! [/SARCASIM]

Old 08-16-2010, 10:52 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,405,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Houston girls' killer loses bid to spare his life | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

HOUSTON — The Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles has refused a clemency petition from condemned killer Peter Cantu, who is set to die next week in Huntsville for a notorious 1993 double rape-slaying in Houston.
Maria Ramirez, clemency director for the parole board, said on Friday the panel voted 7-0 to reject Cantu's request that his death sentence be commuted to life.
Cantu, 35, was one of five young gang members condemned for killing Jennifer Ertman, 14, and Elizabeth Pena, 16, A sixth gang member, 14 at the time, got a 40-year prison term.
Cantu is set to die Tuesday evening. Two from the gang he led already have been executed and two had their death sentences reduced to life when the U.S. Supreme Court banned execution of people under 18.

We have waited to execute him for 17 years, 3 years longer than Jennifer got to live - and 1 year longer than Elizabeth did. I do have mixed feelings about the death penalty, but not on this one.
I remember these murders so very well.

It is criminal--absolutely criminal--that he has been able to live so long with so many appeals. It shows just what a chickensh*t he is.

He should be thinking about how lucky he is to be able to just go to sleep, unlike his victims.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:16 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times
This website is also truly troublesome. Why has he been allowed to seek penpals?

Death Penalty for Peter A. Cantu - on Deathrow Texas

Old 08-16-2010, 11:45 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
This website is also truly troublesome. Why has he been allowed to seek penpals?

Death Penalty for Peter A. Cantu - on Deathrow Texas
Wow - there was so much irony there. The Texas officials have sought to dehumanize him? I am pretty sure he did that all by himself when he raped, tortured and killed those two young girls.

I had no idea this site existed. Why are any of them allowed to do this?

In a similair vein, I have read that there are numerous women that make it a goal to marry these guys. How demented is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston