Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 11:55 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,121,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karuna95 View Post
Agree with Oildog. When my son was in preschool,
  • preschool teachers were Mrs. (first name)
  • Family friends were Mrs. (first name)
  • Strangers and new acquaintances were Mrs. (last name)
  • Aunts/uncles and other relatives are Aunt/Uncle (first name)
When he started kindergarten, the only change was that teachers became Mrs. (last name).

All of our friends' kids, and my son's friends, call me Mrs. (some call me by my last name, some by first name). But there is always a title.
Was that something the children automatically did or were you asked by their parents or by the children themselves (which would seem unlikely)? Did you need to tell the children how to address you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 01:33 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Between the ages of 2 and 5, your preschool child is most receptive to learning the rules of polite conduct. In other words they want to do anything you ask. Grab the opportunity to teach appropriate behavior.
Said that I would not try confuse my kids teaching appropriate behavior by the region. You might be moving to another part of country where other regional etiquette will rule.
I would teach them rules that apply everywhere. Polite, well mannered kids will grow into polite, well mannered adults. The rules are pretty much the same in US as in Europe, and in the most other civilized countries.
You could check some online resources:
Manners and Etuquette for Kids - Online Resources
Kids etiquette guides, teach good manners, respect, polite children
Manners and Etiquette for Children

Old 08-17-2010, 01:35 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Depends on the family.

Our family it's always Ms. or Mr. First name of very close family friends until the child is about 5. Always Mr. and Ms. Surname with authority figures or adults outside the social group. After the child grows up a little it's always Mr. and Ms. Last Name for close friends as well.

I find it really rude when kids address adults by there first name as they get older, but that's just me.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:36 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
There are some very Houstonian ways to address strangers when driving on the freeway, but the swear filter will block most of them.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
There are some very Houstonian ways to address strangers when driving on the freeway, but the swear filter will block most of them.

LMAO. This is so true. My favorite term of endearment is, Ms. "Get off your phone and drive, B***h."

Old 08-17-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Between the ages of 2 and 5, your preschool child is most receptive to learning the rules of polite conduct. In other words they want to do anything you ask. Grab the opportunity to teach appropriate behavior.
Said that I would not try confuse my kids teaching appropriate behavior by the region. You might be moving to another part of country where other regional etiquette will rule.
I would teach them rules that apply everywhere. Polite, well mannered kids will grow into polite, well mannered adults. The rules are pretty much the same in US as in Europe, and in the most other civilized countries.
You could check some online resources:
Manners and Etuquette for Kids - Online Resources
Kids etiquette guides, teach good manners, respect, polite children
Manners and Etiquette for Children
What's interesting is that I posed a similar question on one of my mom boards and a British-raised mom said she is still having a hard time getting used to children addressing others as "Miss/Mr 1st Name" because it's considered rude to use an adult's first name.

Also, she refrains from using and cringes every time she hears "m'am" - in England it holds unpleasant class connotations and is only used in reference to the Queen.

Thanks for the links. It is fascinating in a strange way that many Americans are unaware of good manners. It's good that there are guides out there for people who need or want to instill those good manners in their own children even though they may not have been raised with that awareness.

I was genuinely curious to know if Houstonians had an established culture of niceties and if so, wanted to incorporate that into my children's lives.

As I mentioned previously, in California we came across so many families where the children treated adults as their peers and that really irritated us.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Every time I do that (which, sadly, is too often), my husband feels he needs to pipe up with "He/she can't hear you".

Old 08-17-2010, 01:53 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,050,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Depends on the family.

Our family it's always Ms. or Mr. First name of very close family friends until the child is about 5. Always Mr. and Ms. Surname with authority figures or adults outside the social group. After the child grows up a little it's always Mr. and Ms. Last Name for close friends as well.

I find it really rude when kids address adults by there first name as they get older, but that's just me.
Some adults may prefer it, though. Personally I don't want to be called mrs./mr. last name, because I'm always Dr. LastName, and it sounds disrespectful to me to use mrs./mr. I simply never hear it and I don't like it. But I wouldn't expect a child to refer to me as Dr. LastName, so I prefer they use my first name.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Some adults may prefer it, though. Personally I don't want to be called mrs./mr. last name, because I'm always Dr. LastName, and it sounds disrespectful to me to use mrs./mr.
Well, some of us require Dr. if it applies. But you're really that sensitive about having your title of education announced/addressed?

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 08-17-2010 at 02:11 PM..

Old 08-17-2010, 02:43 PM

15 posts, read 21,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
Well, I think it's Houston-related anyway. In California, it seemed that all children called any & all adults by first name unless parents taught them differently. Growing up in NY, all the families I knew taught their children to address adults as Mr/Mrs Last Name. Using Mr/Mrs First Name would have been inappropriate then.

Here, I've noticed that most people up until college graduates address me as Miss First Name.

We're working on good manners with our 2 yr olds right now and have been teaching them to address adults by Mr/Miss/Mrs or by the appropriate aunt/uncle titles.

We are not sure what our children should be addressing college kids. It just dawned on me that if said college kids were teaching our children to swim, I'd have them call the instructors Miss/Mr but what if they are just casual acquaintances?

Is there are norm in Houston? Or is it a cultural and/or family preference?
This was so common for me growing up. As a matter of fact I still address people like this...lol. I don't mean any disrespect or a lack of etiquette...
Old habits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston