U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 10:17 AM

3,106 posts, read 8,774,185 times

Advertisements

Well, I think it's Houston-related anyway. In California, it seemed that all children called any & all adults by first name unless parents taught them differently. Growing up in NY, all the families I knew taught their children to address adults as Mr/Mrs Last Name. Using Mr/Mrs First Name would have been inappropriate then.

Here, I've noticed that most people up until college graduates address me as Miss First Name.

We're working on good manners with our 2 yr olds right now and have been teaching them to address adults by Mr/Miss/Mrs or by the appropriate aunt/uncle titles.

We are not sure what our children should be addressing college kids. It just dawned on me that if said college kids were teaching our children to swim, I'd have them call the instructors Miss/Mr but what if they are just casual acquaintances?

Is there are norm in Houston? Or is it a cultural and/or family preference?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 10:23 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,506,084 times
The "Miss First Name" thing is not what I'd call Houston-specific. It is, in fact, a Southern custom.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:26 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,634,500 times
The most common form of address I've heard is for kids to call any adult (or young adult) Miss/Mr. First Name. Some adults prefer a traditional Mr/Mrs Last Name; if there's someone you think might be prickly about it, ask them first. Our kids call most of our (adult) friends by the first name only (these are often parents of their friends), but parents of their friends who are not also our good friends I would encourage them to use Miss/Mr. First Name or Mr./Mrs Last Name.

So to answer your specific question, if the college kids are simply friends, I think a first name is fine. But if they are in a position of authority, like a babysitter or counselor or swim teacher, add the Miss/Mr.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:38 AM

1,668 posts, read 4,505,108 times
Growing up here I never heard "Mrs. First Name". Our children say "Mrs. Smith" & all of the neighborhood kids do the same.

I have 2 friends from college whose kids use "Mrs. First Name". Honestly, it kind of bugs me as being too familiar.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:40 AM

Here's another question to piggy-back my OP: Southern customs - are they different from state-to-state in the south?

While I'm sure it's a stereo-type from people not born/raised in the south, I have always thought that the movie-promoted Southern customs were those of the deep south. For some reason, I've never thought of Texas as the "deep south" - I've always viewed Texas as, please forgive the expression, move "mavericky": I think cowboys, the wild west and women who know how to work & play hard on the land. Seriously - THAT is the stereotype I grew up with of Texas. A couple of my roommates (one from Dalhart & another from High Island) solidified that stereotype for years.

Houston-nomad - thanks...that sounds like what we'll do.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
Growing up here I never heard "Mrs. First Name". Our children say "Mrs. Smith" & all of the neighborhood kids do the same.

I have 2 friends from college whose kids use "Mrs. First Name". Honestly, it kind of bugs me as being too familiar.
That's what I'm wondering. Are we also bugging people by assuming "Mrs. First Name"?

If you read similar threads about this on the parenting thread here, you find a lot of people who think adults need to earn the respect of children before being addressed in this "formal" manner. One of the reasons I posted here was to get a gauge on how my fellow c-d/Houston residents feel.

It was simpler back then: everyone who wasn't a relative or close family friend (addressed as aunts/uncles) was Mr/Mrs Last name. Done.

While I'm not thrilled about being addressed with "m'am" - I'm not going to tell anyone to stop. I just find it weird when people much older than me address me as "m'am".

Old 08-17-2010, 10:48 AM

8,375 posts, read 29,405,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
I heard this most of the time. The Miss "First name" not as much, but it wasn't uncommon.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:51 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,200,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
Here's another question to piggy-back my OP: Southern customs - are they different from state-to-state in the south?

While I'm sure it's a stereo-type from people not born/raised in the south, I have always thought that the movie-promoted Southern customs were those of the deep south. For some reason, I've never thought of Texas as the "deep south" - I've always viewed Texas as, please forgive the expression, move "mavericky": I think cowboys, the wild west and women who know how to work & play hard on the land. Seriously - THAT is the stereotype I grew up with of Texas. A couple of my roommates (one from Dalhart & another from High Island) solidified that stereotype for years.

Houston-nomad - thanks...that sounds like what we'll do.
I recall watching a documentary a number of years ago on the differences in customs and cultures between southern states. And yes, Texas customs can vary widely from other states, and of course from region to region within the state. You know the Texas tourism marketing slogan, "Texas--It's like a whole other country?" Well, that applies very well here.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:17 AM

17,030 posts, read 29,476,994 times
I think 'Miss First name' is appropriate after an introduction. Otherwise Miss Last name. Sir and Ma'am still go pretty far here as well.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:45 AM

687 posts, read 2,039,597 times
Agree with Oildog. When my son was in preschool,
  • preschool teachers were Mrs. (first name)
  • Family friends were Mrs. (first name)
  • Strangers and new acquaintances were Mrs. (last name)
  • Aunts/uncles and other relatives are Aunt/Uncle (first name)
When he started kindergarten, the only change was that teachers became Mrs. (last name).

All of our friends' kids, and my son's friends, call me Mrs. (some call me by my last name, some by first name). But there is always a title.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston