Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 03:42 PM

834 posts, read 2,676,838 times

Advertisements

I'm looking into possibly buying a new house and purchasing the home warranty (mostly for appliances). Are there any companies you recommend that will cover Houston/Bellaire area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 04:28 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,137,249 times
Old Republic is my favorite as far as service. On new homes you can purchase a year 1-4 or years 2-5 for $595 total, which is far cheaper than older homes, but that's because a lot is under warranty. Go to www.orhp.com for details. Have your realtor order instead of the title company - it's always cheaper and I don't know why. I just ordered policies last week for several - and I like to get the upgraded gold package for $400 (older than brand-new) yearly. They were going to charge $475 for the same policy if the title company ordered. Don't know why.

Do not order First American or Allied. They weasel out of paying.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:00 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,212,238 times
Default For what it's worth

I had a warranty with American Home Shield. 'Should be American Home Shyt instead. Just my opinion though, I think I posted the reasons here before, it is somewhere in the bowels of the City-Data databases. They settled a class action lawsuit recently than admit to fraud.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I had a warranty with American Home Shield. 'Should be American Home Shyt instead. Just my opinion though, I think I posted the reasons here before, it is somewhere in the bowels of the City-Data databases. They settled a class action lawsuit recently than admit to fraud.
Actually, I have heard good and bad about them. I just believe that it's safer to go with what you know will be OK. I want to point out that Allied and First American came through once I got on the phone and ranted on behalf of the homeowner and threatened to make it known to other realtors that they were weasels - but who needs the hassle? It should not have to come to that.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:53 AM

225 posts, read 595,684 times
I have never had a good experience with a home warranty. I ALWAYS ask the realtor if I can just have the money from the sellers so I can insure myself! At least then I know I'm getting paid, rather than paying a premium to a company that's just going to tell me my problem isn't covered. But for some reason, realtors never do that.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaedra_p View Post
I have never had a good experience with a home warranty. I ALWAYS ask the realtor if I can just have the money from the sellers so I can insure myself! At least then I know I'm getting paid, rather than paying a premium to a company that's just going to tell me my problem isn't covered. But for some reason, realtors never do that.
It's because your lender will not allow money to exchange hands from the seller to you - it's not the realtor keeping it from happening. You can ask for that amount to be paid toward your closing costs in lieu of a home warranty.

I do believe in the home warranty (the good companies). Let me put it this way, if I am shelling out the money year after year, there's a reason. Old Republic sends me a little postcard every time one of my past clients uses them - showing the amount that it would have cost vs. the $60 service charge. Some are so-so - maybe they saved three or four hundred - but some have been total AC replacements at a whole lot more. Imagine the relief she felt when a woman that had been in her house for about 9 months called me to ask if I knew of a good AC company because hers went belly-up and I suggested she call her home warranty instead. They replaced it.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:14 AM

I'm glad someone gets a benefit from them!

I, on the other hand, had a plumbing issue, called my home warranty company, and they insisted I use their plumber. His wife answered the phone and told me he was busy all day and might not feel like calling me back later that evening. Uh, okay - meanwhile, my family can't bathe, do dishes, or cook.

So finally the home warranty company agrees to let me call another plumber, who comes out and fixes the problem. When I tell the HW company what it was (some pipe in my yard blocked), the lady could not get the words "we don't cover that" out of her mouth fast enough. Glad I went to the trouble of waiting and hassling with 'em!

So yeah, forget that noise. I'm capable of saving up an emergency fund and paying for stuff myself, thanks.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
I'm glad someone gets a benefit from them!

I, on the other hand, had a plumbing issue, called my home warranty company, and they insisted I use their plumber. His wife answered the phone and told me he was busy all day and might not feel like calling me back later that evening. Uh, okay - meanwhile, my family can't bathe, do dishes, or cook.

So finally the home warranty company agrees to let me call another plumber, who comes out and fixes the problem. When I tell the HW company what it was (some pipe in my yard blocked), the lady could not get the words "we don't cover that" out of her mouth fast enough. Glad I went to the trouble of waiting and hassling with 'em!

So yeah, forget that noise. I'm capable of saving up an emergency fund and paying for stuff myself, thanks.
Do you remember the company?

Old 08-18-2010, 08:49 PM

Hmm, it was a few years ago, but might have been First American.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Hmm, it was a few years ago, but might have been First American.
That figures. Look at my second post on this thread. They really are horrible. I had to get both of the First American sales reps in Houston involved to make them replace that AC - and they did - but I make it a point to tell people not to use them from that point on.

If I walk into the office and see that they have left their brochures - I toss them so new agents won't give them out, not realizing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston