Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 10:23 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,401,995 times

Advertisements

So what should that money have been spent on, just out of curiosity?

When people complain about where the first section of rail was built, it's interesting to hear their explanation for what should've been done. Suburbanites are not going to ride a bus around town after riding a commuter train into the city. You need rail inside the city to make any of it work.

The "1% of the population" meme is for those who just don't know what is involved and more than likely oppose it since it's not going to serve them right away. Unfortunately this time it's not really the anti-rail crowd screwing up, it's METRO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 10:29 PM

346 posts, read 736,218 times
I cant believe this crap either, its like a certain group of people are completely determined on making this city as inhospitable and car dependent as possible. But they've already started on the east end and southeast purple lines they cant just stop can they?

Old 08-20-2010, 10:34 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,401,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300zxtwinturbo View Post
I cant believe this crap either, its like a certain group of people are completely determined on making this city as inhospitable and car dependent as possible. But they've already started on the east end and southeast purple lines they cant just stop can they?
Problem is METRO is contributing actively to the same thing in its ineptitiude and inefficiency.

METRO had a shot right around August or so two years ago. Gas was hitting around $4 a gallon and all of a sudden everybody wanted public transportation that they could rely on. To its credit METRO stepped it up some and did a little better than usual in an attempt to provide that. So just as the city bounces back after Ike and gas prices go back down to $2-something, what does METRO do? The only sensible thing - hike fares by a quarter and go right back to its old substandard ways, when you really don't know if a bus is coming or when.

METRO had a chance to get people who weren't usually part of the public transit mix in this city into using it. They blew it. The people want it, for the most part, or at least the majority of the people who bothered to vote on it.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:57 PM

221 posts, read 608,355 times
this is...depressing

rail would be the best thing to happen to houston in a LONG time

Old 08-21-2010, 12:42 PM

345 posts, read 1,073,066 times
I hope they can get this resolved. I take the Metro from Spring to TMC for work. I love it!

Old 08-21-2010, 05:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,230 times
Rail may not be completed by 2013, but it will be built. Too many people in Houston are determined to build it. Nothing in the article was definite.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:04 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,773,910 times
I was hoping a line would run a few blocks from my house. I think it would be great for property value.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:58 PM

346 posts, read 736,218 times
Ok guys I just got an idea after arguing on the chron blog site with a bunch of dumb houstonians who are against rail. They are saying that no one uses or will use it. That we need more roads instead and expansions to the suburbs. I guess I was talking to the McMansion katy woodlands crowd. Because that was their argument, that this in no way benefits most houstonians, and they proceeded to list all of the suburban areas that wont benefit from this rail. lOOK LETS SHOW UP AND RIDE THE MAIN STREET LINE IN HUGE NUMBERS TO SHOW SUPPORT FOR THE RAIL, AND SHUT UP ALL THE PEOPLE WHO SAY THAT NO ONE WILL USE THE RAIL. LETS SHOW OUR POLITICIANS THAT WE ARE SERIOUS ABOUT THIS. All we need to do is show up on a saturday like several months from now once everything is organized and ride the rail.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:02 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,791,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTXmetro View Post
Money worries force Metro to slow rail plans | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

I just don't know what to say. It's one obstacle after another. How embarassing would it be to have one freaking 6 mile toy line and nothing else. We voted for rail and they need to make it happen. I'm tired of the excuses. And if the the FTA under a Democratic Administration will not secure funding for Metro, that means Metro must really be a screwed up organization.
LMAO...

Old 08-22-2010, 08:28 AM

8,891 posts, read 19,875,808 times
YAY - sorry but I am not a fan of the light rail that we have - and am happy that it may be delayed (or done away with for the short term). That stupid rail was rushed up and put on that Main Street line for the one Super Bowl we got and for trying to attract an Olympics...........it was never about the people of Houston - it was about your tax dollars and generating revenue for the city. They put tons of businesses along Main St. under during the construction without batting an eye .... but hey we got the infamous Janet Jackson wardrobe misfunction Super Bowl out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston