Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 07:23 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorplaxy View Post
Yeah, so Metro sucks. What else is new?

I agree that Metro needs to be dismantled...they are really run by a bunch of idiots.

They want to save money? How about using smaller, less expensive buses? I have been on many Metro buses and there are so many huge buses that go virtually empty at most parts of the day...not even anywhere near halfway full. Wasteful and stupid. Public transportation should NOT cost $1.25 each way
1.25$? Thats a Bargain , Typical Bus up here is 1.90-2.50$ Light Rail varies 1.70-2.50$ depending on the system. So you guys are lucky and regional Rail is as high as 16.00$ one way on the longest line. Subways are 1.75$ on PATH and 2.50$ on NYC System. So consider your selfs very lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 07:29 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,657,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
1.25$? Thats a Bargain , Typical Bus up here is 1.90-2.50$ Light Rail varies 1.70-2.50$ depending on the system. So you guys are lucky and regional Rail is as high as 38.00$ one way on the longest line.
It's not worth it. It could be much cheaper if Metro cut out on the crap they don't need, like such large, expensive buses on every single route when they aren't even filled halfway to capacity the majority of the time.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:38 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorplaxy View Post
It's not worth it. It could be much cheaper if Metro cut out on the crap they don't need, like such large, expensive buses on every single route when they aren't even filled halfway to capacity the majority of the time.
You might need to cut down on lines , when we recently cut back on our system. Alot of ppl where shocked at some lines even being in service. Some lines only serviced 15 ppl. Ive seen your fleet and Ridership is surprisingly high for a sprawly city. I don't think you need smaller buses , but a reworked system. Combine lines and get rid of the nonperforming ones.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:13 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Yeah everybody's mad because Obama is only human and doesn't have the magic wand to instantly turn everything around inside of only 1 1/2 years of being in office.

People fail to realize that he took on a daunting task by becoming President (IE America's 1st BLACK president) in the middle of one of the country's largest depressions and having to deal with the largest oil spill in history on top of that. I guess its easier to just sit back and criticize.
Too bad he thought he had a magic wand during his campaign - he made a lot of promises people expect him to uphold at least a a few of them. He's just a man, like all the others before him, and he should be help equally accountable for the good/bad things he does and equally criticized for any shortcomings by his public the same as those who have gone before him.

Now back to the subject of rail......

Old 08-22-2010, 11:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,085 times
To my NJ Breathren let me explain a little about Houston and their viewpoints on Public Transit. When I originally arrived to Houston I had to use the bus for a couple of months and it really was not that bad. It is not as convenient as the northeast but it is not bad. Houston is spread out so far and wide graphically that it is almost impossible to not have buses, at times, roaming around without heavy ridership. Walking is not really an option in many areas because a lot of streets don't even have sidewalks. This city was not designed with Public Transit in mind. Most routes get busy during the rush and school hours. Most people have issues with paying taxes but down here it comes with additional baggage. If those additional taxes are for funding for services that are perceived to be going towards the poor then all hell breaks loose. This is one of the states that it is hell to be poor. Most people I know look at public transit as a way for burglars to gain access to better neighborhoods. It is the most ridiculous connection I have ever heard. Also public transit is perceived as a service for the poor, illegal immigrants and so on. Every time Metro tries to get funding there is the constant whine of fraud and improper spending but very little is ever heard about road construction and maintenance. Also most of the people fighting public transit do not ride the bus nor do they live in areas that are serviced by Metro (other than Park & Ride). The loudest opponents are those that live in the suburbs.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:05 AM

3,440 posts, read 5,717,968 times
Are you all surprised?

You just keep living in Houston waiting for things to happen.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:29 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,847 times
It's sad I hope Houston will have a great light rail after all

Old 08-23-2010, 09:45 AM

5 posts, read 7,964 times
The GoMETRORail website has breaking news ... FTA approves next steps for University Line:
University Line FTA Approval

Old 08-23-2010, 12:19 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
I love how people throughout this thread have tried to blame everyone else other than who needs to be blamed: the people you voted for to run Metro and the City of Houston. 'Memba them?

Old 08-23-2010, 12:37 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Doesn't the mayor appoint the Metro board?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston