Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2010, 06:24 PM

23 posts, read 86,386 times

Advertisements

i'm considering treehouse condo complex on chimney rock & i-10. the only downside is that the complex was built in 1961 which makes it ~50 years old. As a condo owner, what would happen under the following circumstances:
  1. condo structural integrity "expires" after x number of years
  2. disasters resulting in the destruction of the condo (fire, hurricane, etc)
thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 08:07 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
I would imagine the city would condmn it, have it torn down & a new developer would buy the land & build something else to replace it, that's my best guess. This usually only happens in the projects though.

Its an ideal area to live for someone who commutes to Downtown, Uptown, & the Energy Corridor so I wouldn't worry too much.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:38 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4eainfo View Post
i'm considering treehouse condo complex on chimney rock & i-10. the only downside is that the complex was built in 1961 which makes it ~50 years old. As a condo owner, what would happen under the following circumstances:
  1. condo structural integrity "expires" after x number of years
  2. disasters resulting in the destruction of the condo (fire, hurricane, etc)
thanks!
Although that sounds old because Houston is such a new city - there are condos/townhomes/house in other parts of the country that are twice as old or more. The maintenance fee is there to continually repair issues. How well an individual community is being maintained varies. Don't just look at the one unit that you are considering - look around at the whole of it. Is the pool and other common areas being maintained well? How does the roof look? The landscaping? (I know landscaping isn't structural, but it's indicative of how other things are being maintained)

In the event of a fire, hurricane, etc. - insurance is there like on any other dwelling.

I think I know the community you are talking about - is it right at I-10? Some of those units are so close you can hear the roar of traffic inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: